gekas - salpigidis

:tup: :tup: :tup:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's never too early to open a topic of our national team. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I like this formation here.

------------------------------ Chalkias ----------------------------------

Seitaridis ------------- Dellas ----------------- Kyrgiakos ----------- Torosidis

Karagounis --------- Katsouranis ------------ Basinas -------- Giannakopoulos

------------------------- Gekas ------------- Samaras -----------------

Lyberopoulos should be given a chance to play mostly in the 2nd half along with Lagos at left wing if he's healthy enoguh to play come June.

I don't understand what people see in Gekas... He doesn't look like a world class striker to me at all. I'd prefer Charisteas up front.

Well, he is currently tied for the number 1 goal scoring position in Germany and cant show his goal-scoring capabilites if Otto keeps putting him in the midfield instead of upfront.

We need a win here, no question. So many things could change from here until June in terms of which players are on form/injured and such. But anyway, here's a formation I'd be comfortable with:

-------------------------------------------Chalkias-------------------------------------------

Seitaridis------------------Kyriakos--------------Tavlaridis---------------------Torosidis

--------------------Patsa---------------Basinas----------------Lagos-----------------------

----------------------------------------Katsouranis------------------------------------------

---------------------------Samaras---------------------Gekas------------------------------

Bench:

Eleftheropoulos

Stelios

Karagounis

Dellas

Salpignidis

Lybe

I truly think we should try using Katsouranis in a more offensive role. He could do well there. I think Samaras and Gekas are locks although if one of them isn't performing, Salpi would be a decent replacement. I know its Torosidis' wrong-side but I still think he could do some damage there. Anyone have any info about Patsa and Lagos' conditions? Are they close to coming back?

guys you can't seriously want chalkias to keep goal vs hungary also tavlaridis does not appear in anyones line up. eleftheropoulos should be in goal. this is a must win game as norway are playing malta and will definatly get 3 points. chalkias is a bigger liability than nikopolidis

gekas samaras

karagounis katsouranis basinas giannakopoulos

torosidis kyriakos tavlaridis seitridis(if he still wants to play)

eleftheropoulos

good job to AEK-MTL as he is the only person I've seen recently that doesn't see Stelios as a Left Mid/Left Wing. The guy is right foot dominant.

He plays best on the right side. Start playing to strengths.

The same goes for Torosidis. If you think he can be good as a Left Back, put him in his natural position and see him exell

Greece 2:0 Hungary

Goal scorers

Gekas, Karagounis

I would like to say Hungary is a tricky team. They are of unknown qualify, they can have a good game and they can have a terrible game. We're here talking about a team that has lost to Malta. :D

We can hope for first place if the Bosnians can do us a favor, however they will likely bend over for Turkey for there 3 points.

This is what i would like to see:

......................Nikopolidis........................

seitaridis.....kurgiakos........dellas........torosidis

giannakopoulos.....katsouranis.....basinas.....karagounis

................gekas..................salpigidis..................

subs:

Samaras

Lagos

tavlaridids

Limperopoulos

eleutheropoulos

I'm puzzled as to why a lot of you guys have Karagounis as a LM or RM in a 4-4-2 when he's clearly not a winger. Isn't his natural position more towards the center? I thought about using him in the "1" position in my proposed 4-3-1-2 but frankly, I don't think he has what it takes. I'd say Katsouranis would be much better suited in that role (he seems lost when trying to play a more DM type role). I also think it's time to keep Stelios on the bench. He can still contribute but it seems like he's just missing way too many chances right now and I think he'd be best if he were coming off the bench. As for the defense, guys like Dellas, Goumas, Kapsis, Anatolakis are all old-generation. Time to move on and pass the torch to the younger guys.

I know its early,but has the EPO said if there will be any frendlies,before our next game. The leftback issue must be addressed.If Torosidis did well for himself playing on the left,then he will only be more confident on his natural side .I would love to see him and Giuorkas get a shot at playing together i believe he has more to offer on the right side than Stelios does.

The friendlies will give Otto a shot at seeing some keepers Ele( if he stays in form til the end of the SERIE A),Sifakis,Kotsolis,Chalkias.

Will Lagos be ready, if not some leftfootmids need apply as well to the leftback situation.

We need a win against Hungary no dought about it or else the Greek fans will not be coming to any more matches in the future :o

Hopefully Stelios finds his form at Bolton in the next couple of months and gets back on track he really is a key player.

As for the hungary match we should win, but Greece needs to find the net there is no point in dominating a game{ like the Malta game} and not finding the back of the net we scored via a penalty!!! :o

But as for thr turks i could honestly see a draw against Bosnia remeber its an away game for them and they have a point to prove to thier own federation especially after we heavily defeted them it wont be an easy game for turkey that's for sure ;)

If turkey draws and we win we are on top of the group and everything to play for in Constandinopoly WE NEED TO SEEK REVENGE !!!!

Gekkas has played 13 games for Greece and as yet to score :o

He gets the hippy hippy shakes when he plays for :gr: :LOL: :LOL:

My line up for the 3-1 victory is as follows:

Sifakhs

Seitaridhs

Dellas

Kyriakos

Torosidhs

Giannakopoulos ®

Patsazoglou

Karagounis (captain)

Katsouranis

Samaras

Salpighdhs

RESERVES

Amanatidhs

Spiropoulos

Lagos

Lyberopoulos

Buntra

Otto must NEVER pick the following players again:

Anatolakhs,Goumas,Fyssas,Kapsis :box:

????

with all due respect, i've been talking about this issue for the past 3 years.

this is the best fodder the anti-otto's have, even better than refusing to inject new players into the side. the fact that his tactical schemes don't play to the strengths of his basic 11.

I disagree. Many right footed players play on the left... Robben, Pires, Joe Cole, etc. The fact is Stelio is better on the right but since we have no one better on the left but we many options on the right its an appropriate tactic to play him on the left. He performs well for Bolton when played on the left too and Alladyce is a great manager so its not just a mad move by Otto.

@ Thrylos and AEK-MTL, same applies to Torosidi. We have Seitaridi, Stelio, Patsa, Salpi and Vintra that can play on the right. Torosidi was fantastic against Malta so he has proved he can play there, its logical to use him there where we dont have options.

example- dellas is used best as a sweeper, not as a man-marking centerback.

Yes Dellas is MUCH better as a sweeper than a straight centre-back but that would mean we'd either have to play 2 centre backs in front of him with 2 wing backs. Which is what Otto kind of did against Malta. So while I agree with you 100% on Dellas as a sweeper, you've been an advocate of 4-3-3 in which a team can't employ a sweeper. So if Della can only be used as a sweeper you're either restricted to a 5-3-2 with 2 wing backs and a kofti in midfield or you just dont use Dellas.

samaras/gekas and charisteas are best used as central strikers, not wide forwards. salpiggidis is best used as a right forward, not as a central striker

When we won Euro 2004 Haristea was used as a right forward, and Samaras has never been used as a centre-forward. At Man City & Heerenveen he was always playing off the front man, where he naturally drifts to the left. And Salpi's best position is debatable. He's done well for PAO and PAOK as a centre-forward. And again, I ask, since you've been an advocate of 4-3-3 who would you play as your front 3??? I'm assuming from what you've said, Samaras would play the central role which means neither Gekas nor Haristea or Lybe could play and only one of Salpi or Stelio so who would play in the front 3?

First off I think you should calm it with the hostility we wouldnt want you to have a stroke over football tactics now would we.

As for the tactics you speak of:

when greece goes up against an opponent with 1 striker, then, dellas can play as a sweeper. turkey started 1 striker (kyrgiakos on suker, dellas as sweeper) and greece played a 4-3-3.

A sweeper plays behind the defence like this for example:

---------------------------------------GK----------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------Swp---------------------------------------------------

--------------------Cb---------------Cb-------------------------Cb-----------------------

What you are talking of is a man marking centre back with the other one sitting off instead of attacking the ball. That is not a sweeper. If you play 4 at the back with 1 of those being a sweeper you would leave so much space in front of the defence that the full backs would be forced to tuck in (just like Seitaridis against France and the Czechs). If we then have 3 in midfield and 3 up front lack width. It could work with the similar 4-5-1 where, when necessary, a centre-midfielder drops to play in the hole Dellas leaves (in the Euro 2004 example this was usually Katsouranis). The problem with this is that (1) you need pace and fitness through the team, something which we lack. (2) Its very defensive and when trying to win a game it can be hugely detrimental. I'm not necessarily against it, its just that this is a 4-5-1 that becomes a 1-4-3-1 at times. The reason you're tactics dont make sense is because you want Seitaridis to attack, this is impossible if Dellas plays as a sweeper because our defence could look like this at times:

-------------------------------------------------Dellas---------------------------------------

-------------------------------Kyriakos--------------------------------------------Torosidis

Kyriako will have a man to mark which will take him out of the game which would leave a midfielder (or 2) from the 5 the opposition would have with a free run at Dellas on every counter attack. In short, we would get raped! Trust me, your tactics wouldnt work.

you keep bringing up the euro with charistea as a right forward (i disagree on that)...you don't remember the matches against portugal, with kapsis man-marking pauleta and dellas as a sweeper? unless dellas was marking eusebio, i have no idea what you're talking about. greece played 4 in the back and dellas was a sweeper.

Like I said, Against Portugal this was only possible because of the way Katsourani played. Plus, Dellas was not a sweeper in the conventional sense. We had a flat back 4 with Dellas dropping deep and Basinas (or Kats after HT) dropping into a defensive role. As for Haristea, I'm watching the 1st first Portugal game as we speak, and surprise surprise, Haristea is on the right!!

as far as my 4-3-3, i stated previously where i would play stelios/samaras/gekas. in essence my tactical scheme would be a 4-3-1-2. if lagos was healthy, then i'd play a true 4-3-3. i also want eleftheropoulos to be given a shot, i really doubt otto will give him a chance, but i can call him up and put him in the starting 11 in my hypothetical 11

Saying "in essence" here does not apply. 4-3-1-2 is a completely different formation than 4-3-3. The only similarity is that both teams consist of 11 players! Also, if you play this with a sweeper your team will look like this:

-----------------------------------------Gk---------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------Sw-------------------------------------

Rb---------------------------------Cb-----------------------------------------------------Lb

-------------------------Md---------------Md--------------Md------------------------------

-------------------------------------------Am------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------Str------------------Str---------------------------------------

<_< I have one thing to say: :LOL:

Archived