Phantis Forums

Greece sinking in UEFA standings

Ziaka

The good news is that none of the teams immediately above us or below us have any teams continuing in Europe this season.

We are sitting at a precarious spot because we play 6 teams in Europe, and our point accumulation is divided by 6 giving us a lower coefficient. For instance if our teams accumulate 12 points, it will be divided by 6 which would give us a coefficient of 2. If Bulgaria (for instance) accumulates the same number of points they get to divide this by 4, giving them a coefficient of 3.

It is clear that the way we have been sliding there is no going back. We will play fewer teams in Europe, but within a few years, with some good results from at least one of our teams and a little luck we should be able to climb back up again.

We've been playing six teams in Europe but really only two or three had ever any realistic chance of harvesting any points.

Unfortunately, we've been paying for the ever-sliding quality of the domestic league. Our teams go out and it's not even close any longer. Our teams lag behind their western european counterparts in terms of tactics, conditioning, organization, and facilities. It does not help that the market is small and the fan base prefers to stay home and watch the games from the TV.

We will need an extra push the next few years, and a lot of luck to climb back up but it's doable.

I wish management of all teams had a more realistic outlook. Thinking that they are one player away from European success is delusional, unless their dream is to just advance one more round. They need to invest in a strong league, academies, and facilities, to try to bring the fans back to the stadium. A smaller, more competitive league would not hurt.

More about the numbers

They are based on the last 5 years of results

And our best year is the one that will be removed next year

We are in postition to slide into the depths of Switzerland and Norway

That is a fact

re Olympiakos

they are very disapointing

49th in Europe

that is one spot ahead of Palermo

our undisputed champion huh????

All the info that you need is on this wicked site

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/d.../crank2007.html

Blaming Oly alone for this is ridiculous! PAO went out the first decent team faced, AEK capitulated after an impressive CL, Larisa lost to a team that the Champs of Cyprus would have raped, PAOK have committed UEFA suicide, Atromitos put up a good fight but didnt have the quality, and Xanthi won away before conceding 4 at home to an omada tou horiou!!! Its Greek teams generally that need to step up because being behind Romania, Scotland, Ukraine, Belgium, Czech Rep, and Turkey is just embarassing!!

Blaming Oly alone for this is ridiculous! PAO went out the first decent team faced, AEK capitulated after an impressive CL, Larisa lost to a team that the Champs of Cyprus would have raped, PAOK have committed UEFA suicide, Atromitos put up a good fight but didnt have the quality, and Xanthi won away before conceding 4 at home to an omada tou horiou!!! Its Greek teams generally that need to step up because being behind Romania, Scotland, Ukraine, Belgium, Czech Rep, and Turkey is just embarassing!!

the problem lies when the Champion is not holding their weight & you rely on the Atromitos of the world to earn valueable points, then you have serious problems...

thats the problem with the "CHAMPS" :whistle:

Year in year out the champions are not cutting it....

PAO in the Uefa earned more than osfpp did in the CL!!!!!

Aek did the same, & the "CHAMPS were watching....

GIVE US A BREAK GAVRI

Here is another link with each country and their team contributions per year:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/d.../ccoef2007.html

AEK this year amassed 11 points, Pao gathered 9 points ,Olympiakos 6, Iraklis 2, Atromitos and Xanthi 0

I made a little table with the points for the last five years per team:

02-03 03-04 04-05 05-06 06-07 Total for team

PAO 15 5 12 7 9 48

Olympiakos 4 4 14 6 6 34

AEK 14 4 3 1 11 33

Paok 7 4 0 4 - 15

Iraklis 2 - - - 2 4

Xanthi 1 - - 1 0 2

Panionios - 4 4 - - 8

Aris - 4 - 1 - 5

Egaleo - - 4 - - 4

Atromitos - - - - 0 0

Total for year 43 25 37 20 28

Like loup pointed out we are going to drop our best season (02-03).

Despite how much we desire it, the way our league is, we don't deserve to have six teams playing in Europe. We just don't have six teams that can compete.

Maybe we can try again once our leauge becomes more competitive and teams like Ilraklis, Xanthi, Panionios, Aris, Egaleo, Atromitos can stand up to other European fourth and fifth teams.

Up to now all our big teams have delivered enough points, but we need an effort from the other teams that we know they can't deliver consistently.

the problem lies when the Champion is not holding their weight & you rely on the Atromitos of the world to earn valueable points, then you have serious problems...

GIVE US A BREAK GAVRI

So let me put it to you another way... if Oly had performed as well as PAO in Europe over the last 3 years where would Greece be in the rankings???

EXACTLY!!!

GIVE US A BREAK GAVRI

So let me put it to you another way... if Oly had performed as well as PAO in Europe over the last 3 years where would Greece be in the rankings???

EXACTLY!!!

boy when you miss the boat you really MISS the boat...osfpp should outperform all Greek teams since its so dominent in our "SUPERLIGA & osfpp has problems outperforming Atromitos on a yearly basis.... Now you may get a better understanding... since you gavri think youre so much better than all Greek teams,you sure as hell dont prove it in Europe...

boy when you miss the boat you really MISS the boat...osfpp should outperform all Greek teams since its so dominent in our "SUPERLIGA & osfpp has problems outperforming Atromitos on a yearly basis.... Now you may get a better understanding... since you gavri think youre so much better than all Greek teams,you sure as hell dont prove it in Europe...

With all this ducking and diving to avoid answering a question you should've been a politician! I ask again, if Oly had done as well as PAO in the last 3 years where would Greece's ranking be? Since its ALL Olympiakos' fault surely if they did as well as Euro-PAO the league would be flying! <_<

Also, I love the way you keep mentioning Atromitos! Like I said, they put up a fight but didnt have the quality whereas teams filled with quality players like AEK, PAO, and PAOK are tearing Europe apart, where ever our Greek clubs go they fear us dont they? I seem to remember the Nou Camp and Old Trafford shivering with fear when PAO went there. <_< You are a typical blinkered "fan", you cause more harm to Greek football with your attitudes then good so do us all a favour and keep your opinions to yourself!

With all this ducking and diving to avoid answering a question you should've been a politician! I ask again, if Oly had done as well as PAO in the last 3 years where would Greece's ranking be? Since its ALL Olympiakos' fault surely if they did as well as Euro-PAO the league would be flying! <_<

Also, I love the way you keep mentioning Atromitos! Like I said, they put up a fight but didnt have the quality whereas teams filled with quality players like AEK, PAO, and PAOK are tearing Europe apart, where ever our Greek clubs go they fear us dont they? I seem to remember the Nou Camp and Old Trafford shivering with fear when PAO went there. <_< You are a typical blinkered "fan", you cause more harm to Greek football with your attitudes then good so do us all a favour and keep your opinions to yourself!

simply put, your team should earn MORE points than PAO & aek since theyre Head & Shoulders above eveyone else.... :blink: instead they cant earn Greece some quality points, & we always rely on PAO to bail us out... :gr:

Dont forget youre earning as much as the 2nd & 3rd place team in GREECE... UNACCEPTABLE FROM THE "CHAMPS" :nono:

Dont forget youre earning as much as the 2nd & 3rd place team in GREECE... UNACCEPTABLE FROM THE "CHAMPS" :nono:

I agree, but to blame the plight of Greek football on the performance of 1 team in Europe is ridiculous! All teams have to stand up and be counted! Like I said, Larisa went out to a team that the top Cypriot teams would destroy, not beat, DESTROY! Xanthi have a great defensive record yet went out to a team that struggles to get goals by conceding 4 at home after winning 1-0 away! The point is every Greek side is underacheiving! The definition of underacheiving is that you dont perform as well as you are capable of, and PAO are guilty of that too, as are AEK because in my opinion AEK and PAO are better than PSG and Lens! Oly underacheive EVERY year which is unacceptable!

Compare to 2003 our highest point total and a #6 ranking

Greece 6.200 5.416 6.750 11.250 7.166 36.782

22 Panathinaikos -

34 AEK Athens

39 Olympiakos Piraeus

59 PAOK Thessaloniki Gre

96 Panionios

101 Iraklis Thessaloniki

117 OFI Heraklion

29 Panathinaikos

49 Olympiakos Piraeus Gre

65 AEK Athens

101 PAOK Thessaloniki

127 Panionios

149 Aris Thessaloniki

All teams have dropped - AEKs troubles a few years ago left Oly and PAO alone

and Oly has shown they are, for some unknown reason, unable to suceed in Europe like other teams that dominate second tier leagues like (rank)

21 Celtic

31 FC Basel

34 CSKA Moscow

Enough witht the Oly bashing

Anyway the lower teams have also dropped off -

My opinion the success of Euro has made our players more marketable and the league is in a transition period right now. Greece has become an exporter of players now. And not only top level, guys like Choutos, Chalkias, Nastos, have all had stints abroad. So the league must adapt somehow. Either getting bigger money for exporting players or being more frugal with pickups from abroad.

So what makes us proud of our international players has made us ashamed of our teams internationally.

Ohi file mou lathos,ohi enough...

Xereis posa lefta pairnei kathe omada apo to champions league?O Olympiakos vga

inei ta teleytaia 10 hronia...Mono pou einai stous omilous eispratei 2 ekat eyro.Meta pane mponous nikes kai isopalies kai an xanapernouse stous omilous(gia paradeigma to leo min to pistevete)alla tosa...

Xereis ti einai 2 ekatomyria gia ton Paok,Irakli,xanthi,Ari kai opoiadipote alli omada?(mia hronia pliromeni omada kai enas kalyteros paiktis pou leei o logos)Oriste des pou katantise o Iraklis pou eihe kali omada te teleytaia hronia...An de paisei to hrima,de vlepeis aspri mera file...

An evgainan alles omades gia 5 hronia,tha eihan idi omada na synagonistoun tis xenes stin eyropi...

Oles i alles omades den ehoun ependyti an exairesoume Panathinaiko kai AEK.Ti perimeneis?I 15 stin Agglia ma ti leo aytes tis 2 katigorias ehoun megalytero Budget...

Ante kai na ekane kati stin Eyropi les xero go ante halali tou..edo ehase apo tin 14 tote stin Norvigia,Rosenborg...

Ohi file mou lathos,ohi enough...

Xereis posa lefta pairnei kathe omada apo to champions league?O Olympiakos vga

inei ta teleytaia 10 hronia...Mono pou einai stous omilous eispratei 2 ekat eyro.Meta pane mponous nikes kai isopalies kai an xanapernouse stous omilous(gia paradeigma to leo min to pistevete)alla tosa...

Xereis ti einai 2 ekatomyria gia ton Paok,Irakli,xanthi,Ari kai opoiadipote alli omada?(mia hronia pliromeni omada kai enas kalyteros paiktis pou leei o logos)Oriste des pou katantise o Iraklis pou eihe kali omada te teleytaia hronia...An de paisei to hrima,de vlepeis aspri mera file...

An evgainan alles omades gia 5 hronia,tha eihan idi omada na synagonistoun tis xenes stin eyropi...

Oles i alles omades den ehoun ependyti an exairesoume Panathinaiko kai AEK.Ti perimeneis?I 15 stin Agglia ma ti leo aytes tis 2 katigorias ehoun megalytero Budget...

Ante kai na ekane kati stin Eyropi les xero go ante halali tou..edo ehase apo tin 14 tote stin Norvigia,Rosenborg...

I know they are terrible in Europe - I'm just getting tired of beating a dead horse

PAO has the inside chance now for #2 spot - so that should be good - I think

The UEFA spots are WIDE open

AEk then 11 teams within 6 points for 3 spots

Hopefully somebody with a chance in Europe get through

Olympiakos are the current leaders in the Super liga, of course the winner goes to the CL group stage. Panathinaikos now holds 2nd place in which they have a chance at the 3rd round qualifying spot. AEK, OFI, and PAOK along with a Greek Cup winner are vaing for entry of the UEFA Cup. :gr:

Archived