Phantis Forums

Nikos Zisis Interview

Zisis leaves most difficult career moment in past

BOLOGNA (2006 FIBA World Championship) - No Greek player will show more determination than Nikos Zisis this summer when EuroBasket 2007 tips off in Spain.

He has unfinished business.

Spain will be one year on from a summer in which Zisis, a EuroBasket 2005 winner, went from game-winning hero against Australia in Hamamatsu to injured star following an horrific collision with Anderson Varejao of Brazil.

Japan was supposed to be the stage of Zisis, the FIBA Europe Young Player of the Year.

Instead, broken bones in his face forced Zisis to miss the last five games of the tournament, including Greece's famous 101-95 triumph over Team USA in the semi-final round.

Zisis is back playing again with Benetton Treviso and is this weekend at the Coppa Italia.

He spoke to Cindy Garcia-Bennett on behalf of FIBA before his first game against Lottomatica Roma.

FIBA: Nikos, that dramatic three-pointer to beat Australia at the buzzer in Hamamatsu Group C is the stuff of legend but sadly, you suffered that terrible facial injury.

Zisis: "I missed the five most important games of the World Championship and that was the worst thing for me."

FIBA: After you got the injury, there were a lot of harsh words said about Anderson from many people.

Zisis: "In the beginning, I considered pressing charges but I didn't in the end. I thought it was best for my team and for the competition not to do it. But he never said sorry or said anything. But that for me is in the past. I don't care about him anymore."

FIBA: We're all relieved that you are back on the floor playing with Benetton. How difficult was it to come back?

Zisis: "I had expected it to be more difficult, that I would struggle to get back on the court after what happened, but it wasn't. From the very beginning since I returned, I have felt very good. I did have to wear a protective mask and although it was uncomfortable, it felt great to be back on the court. After three weeks, I was feeling very good and I was able to finally put it behind me."

FIBA: So Greece, and especially you, are going to be ready for the EuroBasket in Spain?

Zisis: "We are going into the tournament as the defending European champions and as runners-up in the World Championship, which is great. Everybody competing in the tournament will want to win it. It's going to be a high level competition, very difficult tournament but we hope that we can do well again. Our dream is to defend the title and with that aim, we will travel to Spain."

Archived