Phantis Forums

Racing club de Lens vs Panathinaikos A. O.

trifilli

Posted ImageVSPosted Image

Lens is second in Ligue 1, after a 3-1 victory at Valenciennes FC.

Panathinaikos played Lens in the 1998/99 UEFA Champions League.

Each team won 1-0 at home. Vokolos scored a header for PAO at OAKA, a game which I attended and remember well.

Panathinaikos have won four games against French opposition, drawn two and lost three.

PAO will have to perform their best to beat this team at OAKA.

The first game in France will have to be the key.

Lens finished third in Group D with 4 points, winning the three way tie breaker.

Parma 9

Osasuna 7

Lens 4

OB 4

Heerenveen 4

Lens v Osasuna 3 - 1

Odense BK v Lens 1 - 1

Lens v Parma 1 - 2

Heerenveen v Lens 1 - 0

As seen above this Lens side is not unbeatable...

This is PAO's chance to do something this season, which will be remembered as the highlight.

Even last season which was a disaster, PAO had a win vs Werder Bremen, a tie vs Barca, and a decent game at home that ended up in a loss vs Udinese.

This year's highlight performance has been only the win in the Czech Rep.

Is that how we want to remember this season by?

Realistically speaking, I am not that optimistic about this PAO side.

The least I expect, is a win at OAKA and a valiant effort at Lens.

A repeat of the Paris fiasco, would be the breaking point for this season, even if we end up with the Greek Cup...

ELLAS EUROPH PANATHINAIKOS! :gr:

PEACE

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is off topic a bit, though not entiriely. (I don't want to start another thread)

But, who decides when to play our games?

We play a Wed and then a Sat (PAOK games), or we now play a Thu and a derby against AEK on Sun. (AEK will have one more day to rest/prepare). We've done this several times this season. Anybody knows why?

Teams that have European games, should be given priority to CHOOSE their game days.

If the PAO officials were given the choice and made these decisions, then what can we say about them... ;)

PAO should play on Saturday, before a mid week game; on Sunday after a mid week game. :blink:

COMMON SENSE right?

PEACE

i have a friend from france that is living here in Montreal now and according to him, Lens is very winnable. they dont have a great offensive side. but they control the ball very well.

we have to play tight and challenge the midfielders and force them to make mistakes.

anything is possible. but i dont see anything better then a loss with no less then 2 goals in france.

Friends, without good defense no team can do well in Europe. We may get lucky in France but luck doesn't guarantee success. Look at our numbers in the Greek league (because if you look at those in europe for goals conceded...). Too many goals we allow.

Second, the players know that the defense isn't solid. This creates anxiety all over.

Third, PAO has a very hard time coming back from being down in the score.

Having said this, I hope for a good show against the Frenchies. :la:

Friends, without good defense no team can do well in Europe. We may get lucky in France but luck doesn't guarantee success. Look at our numbers in the Greek league (because if you look at those in europe for goals conceded...). Too many goals we allow.

Second, the players know that the defense isn't solid. This creates anxiety all over.

Third, PAO has a very hard time coming back from being down in the score.

Having said this, I hope for a good show against the Frenchies. :la:

Without good defense, i.e. without Biscan as defansive midlfilder PAO can not pass Lans!

Those game against PSG wasn't serious since PAO already was qualified for the next round, and the host side neded to win! With Lans all can be completely diffrend but in France PAO has to play with experienced players.

Lens are 2nd in the league behind Lyon so they are obviously a very good side. However, AEK showed this year that the top Greek sides can compete with the top French sides so I am hopeful. Its essential that PAO are solid away from home and I have faith! I think it will finish 0-0.

Just as I posted on the AEK forum I'm going to say the same thing here for PAO

This is their season... They don't need to concentrate on the League just on UEFA...

If they want to come away this year as being a positive year they need to get a positive result in France and in Athens and then advance.

Tough 2 games... The French teams play well against Greek sides..

2 tough to call at the moment. :box:

Archived