Phantis Forums

Italy suspends all football

I am not sure where to put this one, but I think it's relevant to every football loving fan in the world:

A human being doing his job died today in Italy during rioting after Palermo beat Catania 2-1.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/football.../italy.catania/

It is a sad day when human lives are lost so senselessly. Yes, it happens all the time in many wars, crimes, and famine around the world, but it does not mean we have to be desensitized.

I am not sure where to put this one, but I think it's relevant to every football loving fan in the world:

A human being doing his job died today in Italy during rioting after Palermo beat Catania 2-1.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/football.../italy.catania/

It is a sad day when human lives are lost so senselessly. Yes, it happens all the time in many wars, crimes, and famine around the world, but it does not mean we have to be desensitized.

Very true! Shocking and appalling! 8eos makarisi ton.

Apparently, a fan threw a homemade bomb into a police vehicle, the bomb exploded in the policeman's face, he died at hospital later. I'm sure no one here agrees with football hooliganism, but its important to note that this is beyond that, this was pure murder! Hooligans will arange to meet up and fight, like i said thats not very clever but at least generally no one tries to kill innocent people. The point i'm making is that someone (of the Italians obviously) is bound to know who made and threw the bomb and should make a stand against such incidents! It's a disgrace!

It wasnt only the death of the police officer, but 101 injuries of which 71 were police officers.

There should be an immediate investigation and a prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. And after that anyone who even dares to act in a violent manner should be arrested and prosecuted, no exceptions.

I live in the US and go to a lot of sporting events and dont see the level of violence that occurs in other countries. I really dont know why the fans cant be controlled. What is so different from US fans than other fans around the world. And I'm not trying to incite anything by comparing the US to others I'm just making an observation.

In my opinion i think its the rule of law. I for one know that if the law is broken here in the states there is a really good chance you will get caught and then prosecuted. I dont think people in Greece or Italy are afraid of the law because it is rarely enforced.

Anyway, I feel sorry for the family of the poor guy who ws only doing his job. Football is supposed to be a sport where people can come together and should not be mared with violence.

It wasnt only the death of the police officer, but 101 injuries of which 71 were police officers.

There should be an immediate investigation and a prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. And after that anyone who even dares to act in a violent manner should be arrested and prosecuted, no exceptions.

I live in the US and go to a lot of sporting events and dont see the level of violence that occurs in other countries. I really dont know why the fans cant be controlled. What is so different from US fans than other fans around the world. And I'm not trying to incite anything by comparing the US to others I'm just making an observation.

In my opinion i think its the rule of law. I for one know that if the law is broken here in the states there is a really good chance you will get caught and then prosecuted. I dont think people in Greece or Italy are afraid of the law because it is rarely enforced.

Anyway, I feel sorry for the family of the poor guy who ws only doing his job. Football is supposed to be a sport where people can come together and should not be mared with violence.

US fans are fat and cant move out of their seats to fight

I live in SF and i couldnt even get to my seat because too many people were in the way

also US fans throw bottles sometimes but very rarely. Thats nothing compared to the rest of the world.

I live in the US and go to a lot of sporting events and dont see the level of violence that occurs in other countries.  I really dont know why the fans cant be controlled.  What is so different from US fans than other fans around the world.  And I'm not trying to incite anything by comparing the US to others I'm just making an observation. 

In my opinion i think its the rule of law.  I for one know that if the law is broken here in the states there is a really good chance you will get caught and then prosecuted.  I dont think people in Greece or Italy are afraid of the law because it is rarely enforced.

Orignalaekara, I agree completely with your comments. I live in the US, and I know exactly why such things don't happen in any sport here (including the most violent ones like NFL and NHL). It has nothing to do with human weight.

In no particular order:

1 - Fans: Everyone in the US seem to know that it's a *game*.

2 - Media: If you watch the sports on US TV, they emphasize *entertainment* and *fun*.

3 - Teams: Players, and management never use their fans as an *intimidating* factor to gain an advantage.

4 - Police: Zero tolerance for mayhem. Yes, even excessive swearing will land you in jail.

5 - Courts: They *will* follow up if there is trouble, and they *will* find the one who threw projectiles that hit a player, and they *will* lock him up.

It's part of the culture. Fans behave in the US for the same reason Greeks drive so much better abroad than they do at home (the roads are better, no one else does "tarzanies", and if you do you 'll be fined).

US is probably one of the most violent developed societies, but they have managed to create a positive culture around their sports. And something that might surprise some, the fans are no less passionate about their teams, and the atmosphere in the games is no less exciting than Europe (I am talking about the popular sports). It can take years, but it can happen in Europe as well. England was really bad before the concerted effort after Heyzel.

I live in the US and go to a lot of sporting events and dont see the level of violence that occurs in other countries.  I really dont know why the fans cant be controlled.  What is so different from US fans than other fans around the world.  And I'm not trying to incite anything by comparing the US to others I'm just making an observation. 

In my opinion i think its the rule of law.  I for one know that if the law is broken here in the states there is a really good chance you will get caught and then prosecuted.  I dont think people in Greece or Italy are afraid of the law because it is rarely enforced.

Orignalaekara, I agree completely with your comments. I live in the US, and I know exactly why such things don't happen in any sport here (including the most violent ones like NFL and NHL). It has nothing to do with human weight.

In no particular order:

1 - Fans: Everyone in the US seem to know that it's a *game*.

2 - Media: If you watch the sports on US TV, they emphasize *entertainment* and *fun*.

3 - Teams: Players, and management never use their fans as an *intimidating* factor to gain an advantage.

4 - Police: Zero tolerance for mayhem. Yes, even excessive swearing will land you in jail.

5 - Courts: They *will* follow up if there is trouble, and they *will* find the one who threw projectiles that hit a player, and they *will* lock him up.

It's part of the culture. Fans behave in the US for the same reason Greeks drive so much better abroad than they do at home (the roads are better, no one else does "tarzanies", and if you do you 'll be fined).

US is probably one of the most violent developed societies, but they have managed to create a positive culture around their sports. And something that might surprise some, the fans are no less passionate about their teams, and the atmosphere in the games is no less exciting than Europe (I am talking about the popular sports). It can take years, but it can happen in Europe as well. England was really bad before the concerted effort after Heyzel.

drawing the comparison between US and rest of the world is way deeper than just saying how they can do it and europeans cant....theres tons of different history cultural aspects that set people so far apart in this.

In USA - sports are 110% entertainment industry

look at every single professional team. how did they begin? how did teams ranging from Catania to PAO to PAOK or even as great as Milan form? Extremely different history. Theres different attachments for one. Just because in America sports are about entertainment doesnt mean the same for the rest of the world. These teams represent something different, as do the sports themselves. USA is a pretty different society, and I think its best to look at a broader picture of where all this fassaria originates rather than just the stadiums and people in them.

I mean does these types of problems not exist in the USA? Do you think that? Crime, problems vented frustrations will always come out of people. In the USA theres just different methods, and for many situations- worse.

Crowds always have a tendency to get hostile when there are emotions involved. FACT.

Im not defending what Catania did, but I cant deny its not going to happen in societies or with people. Its going to. Police, clubs should do the best they can to minimize it. Look at Aghia Sophia in Constantinople about a thousand som years ago - did you know the original was destroyed --- over chariot race rioting (fans thought it was fixed) down the street!???? Have we changed? Seriously when you go see PAO-AEK this year is anything different with a people 5 times more conservative than we are today? Crowd tendencies are to get crazy when things dont go there way. It may as well be scientific fact.

Why doesnt happen in the states as much? Who can say for sure....one thing is for sure its NOT security, there is NO security at the games. Is it that theyre bombarded with advertisements? Are they just more 'civilized'? Or is it in their culture to express this sort of anger in OTHER ways? I noticed Americans fight more, take more drugs and steroids, harass people more in everyday life and school, grow up with far more pressure on their shoulders......theres no real answer to why or how.

as for atmosphere being no less exciting that is complete BS. Ive been to tons of diff stadiums, events in USA and europe and there is a BIG difference, even in stadiums were they are well behaved.

Archived