Phantis Forums

Corruption In Greek Football

warzycha

This is the first time I have placed a topic. But I wanted views on whether Greek Club football is corrupt.

Over the last 10 years, Olympiakos have won 9/10 titles. Was this because they were so good? Maybe. Another thought is the Greek National Team have qualified for major tournaments when Olympiakos were not champions. Euro 2004, WC 1994? Maybe.

And the biggest issue, why has Olympiakos only been to quarter finals of the Champions League 1/10 times in the past 10 years?

Are other clubs taking back handers as well as referees favouring them?

Something in Greek football is not right and needs to be investigated. You may well find a Juventus type scenario with Mr Kokkalis at the fore front

rival teams open their legs when they play osfp,,,which puts the gays in a false sense of security,,,,,,with combination of the dud calls and administration from epo which 99.9 per cent go their way ....In europe they enter with this same frame of mind and cop psoliara because

A: they are playing real deal teams

B> they will be played 50-50

C- they expect same treatment from refs like in greek league,

D> teams den masane in europe den xaroun tipota se kanenan allon

Something in Greek football is not right and needs to be investigated. You may well find a Juventus type scenario with Mr Kokkalis at the fore front

They did and it was buried. Kokkalis is too big to be put on trial for worse things (treason) let alone football.

Greece= Banana Republic.

I think that the window of opportunity is fast closing for greek football. I'm not saying this lightly, and I understand what football means for a lot of people. But, it comes down to ..people.

1. A couple generations have been alienated by what's happening, the lack of competition, the violence, the incompetence, corruption, etc. I assume that the sport has to attract new fans constantly in order to survive. And, to KEEP the interest of those who like the sport but don't like what's going on, so they stay away with eventually losing much interest.

2. The Greek teams are falling behind day by day in budgeting and attracting big players as compared to euro teams. I think only about a dozen teams already have established an "upper tier" which is hard to break into. It'll become harder.

3. At some point, the domestic league should offer "theama"--entertainment value. Football, like all sports, are losing the grip of IDENTITY once had. Surely, you identify with a particular team but you are not obsessed with it any longer (I'm talking about trends here not particular fans, perhaps including yourselves). The teams should provide entertainment, because nowadays there are MANY other venues that can do that already. There are so many distractions in modern life that football doesn't have the prominence once had. That's a cold fact.

4. Investigations you ask? It all comes down to INTEGRITY. If you lose that you lose respect. The league and the state must intervene and clean up this mess. And, severely punish those who harm the sport. Otherwise, football is condemned to die slowly and painfully, surrendered to a bunch of hooligans and "people of the night"...

We were born and bred with football and probably at a time when fewer choices of entertainment were available. It's not the case any more. Plus, if something is sick for a long time and no serious efforts are taken to cure the illness, I can tell you that instead of ..spontaneous recovery what comes is death!

Happy holidays to all.

some years PAO were simply a way better team and just blew it.....realistic OSFP fans will agree. such as 2001, 2002, 2003.......the days of Basinas, Seitaridis, Karagkounis, Lymperopoulos and Kolkka and Olisadebe....we were a fantastic squad we just blew it oursleves on little matches...we defintly proved it with great wins vs Portos golden generation in Portugal, smashign Anderlecht, coming a centimeter from the semifinals vs Barcelona, beating Juve 3-1, smashing Fener 4-1.....we had a lot more potential than OSFP ever had we just had a complex and blew the little games like Akratitos and Aigaleo...

I am flabbergasted! :rolleyes:

"Greece is a leader in bribery

Greeks are eight times more likely to pay a bribe than the average Western European according to a report made public yesterday by corruption watchdog Transparency International (TI).

According to TI, 17 percent of Greeks questioned said they had paid a bribe in the 12 months before the survey was carried out.

This figure is the same as the average for Latin America. In Europe, only Albania and Romania had a higher percentage than Greece. The average number of Western Europeans who paid bribes was 2 percent.

To the last reply frm Thrylos. A typical response from the "legend" of Greek football.

Get your head out of the sand. If Olympiakos were true champions then why do they fail in Europe.

Two reasons and they are clear:

1. Pay the Greek referees

2. Mr Kokkalis has a large bank to silence the critics.

Take it or leave it but how many championships would you have won with neutral referees.

Bring a Juventus investigation and clean the game up for the sake of Greek football and to the pathetic champions or useless legends who cannot even buy a game in Europe. Just remember a Mr Koskotas who was caught in the act during the mid-80's

Sorry you have only made one quarter final of the Champions League and were pathetic under the European Cup.

This is reality, get over yourself.

Just something I posted on the Olympiakos vs Egaleo thread

Well, well, well. Looks like my thread about corruption in Greek football is alive and well. Another fantastic comeback by the "legends" of Greek football.

If they were so called "legends" then Olympiakos should by one of Europe's greats.........oops, sorry they can't bribe referees or Kokkalis can't pay clubs off to lose.

I saw the result and before I read the report, I knew Olympiakos would have been down 0-2 and comeback to win 3-2.

It is too predictable. I hope Kokkaklis is investigated. This president smells of the Koskotas era of the mid80's.

In fact I challenge Olympiakos supporters to write to official website like I have. They have even bigger tossers w******g themselves off that they are just focusing on winning the Greek championship. What a great challenge this must be? Perhaps you should try to winning a game in the Champions League?

To the last reply frm Thrylos. A typical response from the "legend" of Greek football.

Get your head out of the sand. If Olympiakos were true champions then why do they fail in Europe.

Take it or leave it but how many championships would you have won with neutral referees.

Bring a Juventus investigation and clean the game up for the sake of Greek football and to the pathetic champions or useless legends who cannot even buy a game in Europe. Just remember a Mr Koskotas who was caught in the act during the mid-80's

Sorry you have only made one quarter final of the Champions League and were pathetic under the European Cup.

ummmmmmmmmmmmm

note the sarcasm and the laughing. i do not deny corruption. i laugh because it is so well documented that nowbody has the testicular fortitude to do anything.

ummmmmmmmmmmmm

note the sarcasm and the laughing. i do not deny corruption. i laugh because it is so well documented that nowbody has the testicular fortitude to do anything.

wow i guess thats something to be proud of ;)

OFI?

wow great come back...

great way to respond to the topic by pointing out that pao paid of ofi at half time in order to secure a draw :LOL:

our preseident was to much of a tight ass to pay for the forth goal, thats why the ofi defender cleard the ball from the goal keepers line in the 90th minute... :tup:

It's been summed up pretty well so far. But there were times when PAO "lost" it as well especially in 2003. As an outsider, I have got to compare this situation with the one in my country.

Fenerbahce won 3 titles in last 6 years and were always accused of bribing and corrupting the refs and the other teams especially by Galatasaray, Beşiktaş and Trabzonspor fans and board members. Lately, there's even a man who said he carried "bags" from Aziz Yildirim's office to Samsunspor for the final game of 2000-01 season when Fener were to play Samsun away. The money in concern in believed to e 150,000 $ for Samsunspor, and another 250,000 $ for Trabzonspor players not to lose the last game against Galatasaray. The claimer says that most Trabzonspor players rejected the money except Oktay Derelioglu and Tamer Tuna. And there are voice records about the case, though recorded by the claimer 3-4 years after the incident, obviously showing that Oktay, Tamer and other big daddys taking part in the corruption confirming what they did. Aziz Yildirim, Fenerbahce chairman then and now, came out and solely attacked the claimer via media instead of defending himself and the club and stated he would sue the claimer and the channel he presented the documents. Şekip Mosturoglu, who was working as a lawyer in the Football Federation in 2001, is now one of the Vice-Chairmen at Fenerbahce, and he keeps crying and bitching instead of making a chic move and taking this case to the court himself.

There's one more serious thing. There's a very strong counter-campaing against the claimer, even by Beşiktaş and some Galatasaray pundits. Fener pundits keep calling him "a crazy nonsense mentally ill man" and objective pundits (former referees, sports programme directors, announcers..) are also not so objective and keep attacking the poor man!

I'm pretty sure things like this have been out to an extent in Greece as well. And there will always be a counter-campaign, which is always stronger than the actual campaign. The reason why is the daddys (Yildirim at this case, Kokkalis in yours maybe) are bribing the "objective(!)" media as well.

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain simply wat Evergreen means that Kokalis wasnt put on trial for treason?

wat did he do and why is he status such that if there are rumours about these why he gets away with it

De xereis pou lene oti o Kokkalis itane praktoras tis Stazi?

gs i remember in last matchday last yr galatasary and fenerbahce were in close proximity to win title and both played games against other teams fenerbahce had to win to win title i think.....to jump gala,,,,and apparently in the fenerbahce game the ref played 17 mins of injury time ,,,,,and fener couldnt score so gala won title ....if there isnt a inquiry in that i dont what should have happend:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

QUOTE (adonis @ Dec 10 2006, 07:35 AM)

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain simply wat Evergreen means that Kokalis wasnt put on trial for treason?

wat did he do and why is he status such that if there are rumours about these why he gets away with it

De xereis pou lene oti o Kokkalis itane praktoras tis Stazi?

No not particularly - ive read in places that he was under investigation for treason but nothing eventuated.

Thats about it!

I just want to say,that this topic has no sense.

You are talking about corruption in the Greek football but you are missing the point.It s the entire mechanism.

Every little thing in Greece it is corrupted.For example lets say that you have a health problem and you need a surgeon.

If you dont pay the doctor with YOUR OWN money noone will care about you and you ll wait a long time.I have personally

experienced this back in 92 when my grandmother went to AHEPA hospital in Salonicca for an eye problem (egheirisi kattarahti)

They asked for money and we did not want to give them.We were stubburn.But after 2 or 3 weeks we gave up.We payed

and pouf..just like God infront of Moses...the next day my grandmother was surged(de xero an grafete etsi)

Another example are the plates of the cars.If you pay the right person you have the plate

in 30min.Yes its true.If you dont pay you wait about 30/40 days to ride

The Police?hmm...I can go on like this(giving examples)for long long time.I can even write a book

The truth is(and everyone of you who lived in greece knows that)that our country

it is like this,and we need about 25 years to change this situation so noone does something to change it.

Kokkalis or if you prefer Mr Kokkalis just did like the others greeks do with the budget that he has.

If I had the money of kokkalis i would probably and i say probably did the same thing with my team.

Pay the right persons to have the right treatment

Archived