Phantis Forums

Klinsmann withdraws! HAha

Olympiakosthyra7

Juergen Klinsmann withdrew from consideration as coach of the U.S. soccer team after several months of talks failed to lead to an agreement, a U.S. Soccer Federation official told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the USSF had not yet publicly acknowledged Klinsmann's decision. USSF president Sunil Gulati scheduled a telephone conference call with reporters Friday "to make an important announcement on the search for the next head coach of the U.S. men's national team," a USSF statement said.

Klinsmann did not respond to e-mails seeking comment, but a statement attributed to him was posted on ESPN.com.

"Sunil and I have concluded our discussions about the U.S. men's national team program, and I have withdrawn my name from consideration as coach," Klinsmann was quoted as saying. "I'm not going to go into details about our conversations. But, I certainly want to wish the next coach of the U.S. men's national team much success, and I want to, also, thank Sunil for the opportunity to exchange ideas."

Earlier this week, it appeared the USSF and Klinsmann were moving toward an agreement. Authority had been as big an issue as money in the talks, a second person familiar with the negotiations said, also speaking on condition of anonymity.

Klinsmann had been the favorite to succeed Bruce Arena, who was let go in July after 7 1/2 years. Arena coached the American team to the World Cup quarterfinals in 2002, the best showing by the United States since the initial tournament in 1930, but the U.S. team was eliminated in the first round this year.

A close friend of Arena, Klinsmann led Germany to the World Cup semifinals this year in his first professional coaching assignment. He lives in Newport Beach, Calif. -- a close commute to the practice facility in Carson where the Americans often train.

The United States, which hasn't played since it was eliminated from the World Cup in June, opens 2007 with a Jan. 20 exhibition against Denmark at Carson and may meet Mexico on Feb. 7 in the Phoenix area.

if the MLS league gets better and larger then i would be happy

but its all crap

man watch MLS games latley....theyve gotten FAR better than 2-3 years ago.

I was even watching the cup final with a Czech friend and he was really shocked at the level of improvement...Also what about MLS all stars beating Chelsea? Things are definitly progressing....

Just because the MLS isn't that great doesn't mean the national team can't be. If you have a handful of talented players with some european experience, you can get pretty far with a coach like Klinsmann.

Personally, I'm very dissappointed that he will not be the U.S. coach. I thought he was a perfect choice. All I can say to whoever is in charge of hiring the next coach is: PLEASE, NO AMERICAN COACHES!!! :nono:

Just because the MLS isn't that great doesn't mean the national team can't be. If you have a handful of talented players with some european experience, you can get pretty far with a coach like Klinsmann.

Personally, I'm very dissappointed that he will not be the U.S. coach. I thought he was a perfect choice. All I can say to whoever is in charge of hiring the next coach is: PLEASE, NO AMERICAN COACHES!!! :nono:

No American Coaches!!!!! :tdown: :tdown:

That is a key in qualifying for the World Cup in 2010

Archived