Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Turkey

dark_horse

I don't know if it's too early to open a topic about our next upcoming Euro 2008 qualifyer against Turkey. This will be our biggest test ever in Group C. Greek fans simply can't wait for this exciting encounter. We know we played them before, both times we drew 0-0. This time we want to beat them, and I hope we do this time around. :not:

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll predict a Greek win or a draw. About 50-50 on each count.

Turkey are offensive minded but they seem to get a lot of goals against weaker defensive teams.

(Winning 5-1 on one day but losing 0-1 the next is still a 1 and 1 record.

Winnnig 1-0 on two consecutive days still puts you ahead.)

It should be a low scoring affair and getting the 1st goal is huge and it might even be the winner.

I'm really nervous about this game! More so than any other because a defeat at home to the Turks may really jeopordise our hopes, PLUS, lose to the Turks? I'd be suicidal!!!

In terms of the game itself, Tuncay is their danger man imo. Emre is overated, and Suker can be handled if you stay tight and don't give him room for a header in the box, but Tuncay really is a class act. What worries me is that with lazy Samaras likely to be partnered with the ineffective Haristea, even if they have a bad game they can get away with a draw because of our poor strike force, I'm PRAYING Papadopoulo and Salpi play in that game, but that won't happen. If we have a bad game however they could get 4! I think much depends on our starting line-up, I also think Castillo we make a HUGE difference if he plays, so I'll wait before making a prediction. Like I said though, they have more room for error than we do!

lose to the Turks? I'd be suicidal!!!

what the ***? it's just a football game.. nobody will win or lose a war with 90 minutes! what suicide?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In terms of the game itself, Tuncay is their danger man. Emre is overated, and Suker can be handled if you stay tight and don't give him room for a header in the box, but Tuncay really is a class act.

Tuncay will be a danger but not because he's a class act but because he comes to life in European matches, esp for the NT. Emre is overrated?? that's the very very first time I hear that but hearing it from you makes a bit sense anyway :P (--just kidding--). But if Tuncay scores against Greece he will probably have his typical goal celebration (the typical gesture of silencing the crowd). I hope it won't create any political tensions between Greece and Turkey then.. (again, just kidding) :P

Anyway, it's too early to talk about the game now because who will be on form until then will change. But I expect a tight quality-lacking midfield battle with scores like 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 being the most possible. I would be hugely surprised if there are two goals..

I'm really nervous about this game! More so than any other because a defeat at home to the Turks may really jeopordise our hopes, PLUS, lose to the Turks? I'd be suicidal!!!

oh come on its just a football game and yes Turkey has the stronger team at the moment.... we beat Turks in sports all the time and theyre still alive (and theyre more crazy-nationalistic than greeks!) although so far this year Turks have been getting the best of us- Kayserispor over Larisa, Efes over OSFP, and Turk Telecom over Panionios ...but of course we did beat their national team in basketball :gr:

what the ***? it's just a football game.. nobody will win or lose a war with 90 minutes! what suicide?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's just a joke/figure of speech numbnuts! :blink:

Tuncay will be a danger but not because he's a class act but because he comes to life in European matches, esp for the NT. Emre is overrated??  that's the very very first time I hear that but hearing it from you makes a bit sense anyway  :P  (--just kidding--).

Well that's because you probably only wacth Turkish football. He has done absolutely F*** all since he has been with Newcastle. All he does is get booked/suspended and get injured. He's decent from set pieces too but his overall contribution has been a pathetic for 2-3 years now!

In terms of the game itself, Tuncay is their danger man imo. Emre is overated, and Suker can be handled if you stay tight and don't give him room for a header in the box, but Tuncay really is a class act. What worries me is that with lazy Samaras likely to be partnered with the ineffective Haristea, even if they have a bad game they can get away with a draw because of our poor strike force, I'm PRAYING Papadopoulo and Salpi play in that game, but that won't happen. If we have a bad game however they could get 4! I think much depends on our starting line-up, I also think Castillo we make a HUGE difference if he plays, so I'll wait before making a prediction. Like I said though, they have more room for error than we do!

i admire your passion, very south american of you to kill yourself after a loss to main rivals.perhaps you'll be idolised and become a national hero.like in the 6 day war in honduras/el salvadour. If we win thinik of the fun you'll have outside turkish kebeb stores......after the basket win i had a blast......

I think we will win this game...i said it with cyprus though well need alot of help from home fans making sure that the turkish team dont get any sleep, itll happen to us over there so we have to makle it count in greece.

i would love a 1-0 98' Basinas(pen) win, in fact i would celebrate that for millions of years. But i agree with the turk i would be amazed if there are 2 goals scored(now ive said that itll finnish 4-3)

This is a game w/ 2 National Teams struggling to do anything on the Intl level.

This is a MUST win game for the both of them but I see the draw as a great bet and a great result for us Greeks...

If we go up 1-0 I think that we can hold the lead and win but if other than that I see it as a draw...

:gr:

Most of you guys are underrating and underestimating your team.. I'm quite surprised with comments like "We'll be ok if we get a 0-0"..etc. I mean this game is the battle of two conflicting neighbours (not those stupid political conflicts, conflicts including the way of life, beliefs..etc and of course and most importantly sports) and the competitiveness in sports makes it a true derby.. It's the international version of Galatasaray v Fener, OSFP v PAO whatever you call.. and a great joy to play for the guys and for us to watch..

so however bad the condition of a team, player..etc everyone gives 110 % in these games.. so it's not that you'll be lucky if you get a draw or if we get a draw.. it's a typical 1-x-2 game.. anything is possible.. most probale though is a goalless draw keeping an eye on how both teams play..

p.s.: i totally disagree with ethnicisti about Emre.. there are two or three players that give their all for their team's success and these are namely Emre, Martins, Sibierskyi. even newcastle fans admit Emre is one of those strong guys in a relatively poor and out-of-form team. If there's an overrated player in that team it's Scott Parker who is doing nothing and costing club €20M.. and don't forget Luque who hasn't even played 15 games for Newcastle in 1.5 years.. and he cost something like €15.5M..

elladara will cruise to a 2-0 sweet sweet victory and the king of the mountain tops of the group can you dig it i can :tup: LONG LIVE GREECE :tup: its gonna be an electrik nite in athens cant wait too see what kind of an atmosphere in the stands hooliganz foreverrrrrrrrrrrr! A.E.K THE QUEEN OF EUROPA :nw:

i admire your passion, very south american of you to kill yourself after a loss to main rivals.perhaps you'll be idolised and become a national hero.like in the 6 day war in honduras/el salvadour. If we win thinik of the fun you'll have outside turkish kebeb stores......after the basket win i had a blast......

I think we will win this game...i said it with cyprus though well need alot of help from home fans making sure that the turkish team dont get any sleep, itll happen to us over there so we have to makle it count in greece.

i would love a 1-0 98' Basinas(pen) win, in fact i would celebrate that for millions of years. But i agree with the turk i would be amazed if there are 2 goals scored(now ive said that itll finnish 4-3)

I have no doubt if the Karaiskaki was filled with 33,000 of me and you, or Thyra 7, or 13, etc, we would win this game. NO DOUBT! The Turkish players would think they were entering a cauldron, unfortunately the Greek fans don't have the same passion for their national team as they do for their clubs. So it won't be that intimidating I'm afraid file. Our fans will probably end up applauding the Turkish teams entrance while our players will be showered with batteries, coins and lighters when they go away.

I have no doubt if the Karaiskaki was filled with 33,000 of me and you, or Thyra 7, or 13, etc, we would win this game. NO DOUBT! The Turkish players would think they were entering a cauldron, unfortunately the Greek fans don't have the same passion for their national team as they do for their clubs. So it won't be that intimidating I'm afraid file. Our fans will probably end up applauding the Turkish teams entrance while our players will be showered with batteries, coins and lighters when they go away.

Karaiskaki was NEVER a hostiel enviroment when Greece plays. The stadium becomes too "family orientied" :angry: Almost like in the U.S. pro soccer matches! :nono:

This could become an ADVANTAGE for Turkey I'm afraid. :(

Karaiskaki was NEVER a hostiel enviroment when Greece plays. The stadium becomes too "family orientied" :angry: Almost like in the U.S. pro soccer matches! :nono:

i HATE that!!!

Greece is such a nationalistic place and has THE best fans in the world go into any PAO, AEK, OSFP or Aris (and in basketball too) you will see utter chaos and it makes a difference. The ethniki games have laaaame atmosphere- even with rivals like Turkey. With Turkey it should be treated as a derby...but instead the whole sissy Greece-Turkey: Lets be friends! crap is so prevalant these days that its probably friendlier for Turkey than it is most other teams...(not that i have anything against Greece-Turkish friendship, but a rivalry is a rivalry and a derby a derby......it should be explosive and intense atmosphere) Our chants have been reduced to 2 since the Euro...before i remember games being a lot more exciting when people went...

Hellas needs its own Gate 13......dont think itll ever happen though....

my friends i agree totally with your comments, if i am in greece come game time i will make it my goal to make sure that no Turkish player gets sleep the night before the game, we need to take a lead from the south americans they have this tuned down to a fine artform.Yes greece needs a gate, even if its like a fukd up 8YPA 13 + 8YPA 7 ENOSH like in ancient greece when we fukd the persians at thermopolis(all 250-300,000 of them), to be truthful i go more apeshit for greece than i do for PAO although i do rip apart players like della and lyber when its pao aek. I do bleed green blood but i also grind a greek flag into my juice every morning, im still pitching my NZMGFFC idea though

NEW ZEALAND MILITIA GREEK FOOTBALL FANS CLUB or

NEW ZEALAND SEPRATEST MOVEMENT GREEK FOOTBALL FANS CLUB

final score ellas 1-0 turkiye 90 +8' BASINAS (pen) a dramatic game with 12 yellows and 2 reds (1 each) and 9 mins of injury time with a basinas winner in the 98'

Guest Protathlitis7

Karaiskaki was NEVER a hostiel enviroment when Greece plays. The stadium becomes too "family orientied"  :angry: Almost like in the U.S. pro soccer matches!  :nono:

i HATE that!!!

Greece is such a nationalistic place and has THE best fans in the world go into any PAO, AEK, OSFP or Aris (and in basketball too) you will see utter chaos and it makes a difference. The ethniki games have laaaame atmosphere- even with rivals like Turkey. With Turkey it should be treated as a derby...but instead the whole sissy Greece-Turkey: Lets be friends! crap is so prevalant these days that its probably friendlier for Turkey than it is most other teams...(not that i have anything against Greece-Turkish friendship, but a rivalry is a rivalry and a derby a derby......it should be explosive and intense atmosphere) Our chants have been reduced to 2 since the Euro...before i remember games being a lot more exciting when people went...

Hellas needs its own Gate 13......dont think itll ever happen though....

Greece is nationalistic my ass. maybe 40 years ago. not anymore by any stretch of the imagination.

at every greek home game there is this littel group of nationalists, most of whom are under the age of 19 and they have something to do with galazia stratia. they chant about albanians and turks everygame but there is only about 20 of them.

:angry:

If the game was played overseas then the diaspora would be a hell of a lot more nationalistic

Archived