Phantis Forums

FIFA World Ranking

dark_horse

43 minutes ago, Boxou said:

these steps were taken because the team completely collapsed. 

on the other hand, now we missed that qualification not because we were not ready but because of the disgusting selections. 

Exactly this. So how much faith do you really have in this guy?? I'm so pissed off that they kept him.

• Like it 1

what's even ridiculous is that they let the players decide for them. and now we reach the point that some of them will be getting called up ισόβια while some else like koutris, mpakakis, pelkas, siovas will be getting ignored at the same time for skibbe's buddies. thank god next official games are in 9 months..

I thought we would have punched our ticket to the World Cup once we were confirmed as one of the playoff teams. Especially after getting Belgium to beat Bosnia in a meaningless match for them and then we got help from Slovenia drawing Scotland to get us in. It just seemed like we would overcome anyone in the playoff (my only concern was drawing Italy). It all went wrong with the Manolas suspension and Skibbes ridiculous lineup in Zagreb. What was he thinking I still watch the matches and I can't believe his tactics and some of the players he went with. To lose to Croatia is bad enough, but 4-1 and with three goals conceded in the 1st half in the first game is a disgrace and it shows how unprepared Skibbe was for the task at hand. We better hope we get a great draw and not have to go to playoffs for a Euro 2020 spot.

8 hours ago, Boxou said:

these steps were taken because the team completely collapsed. 

on the other hand, now we missed that qualification not because we were not ready but because of the disgusting selections. 

Also because we faced a very good team, we made two mind numbing mistakes around the box that led to goals, our midfield is below average, we had untimely injuries to Torosidis and Donis while our opponents were healthy, and Manolas was suspiciously suspended. 

Edited by Argy

We need creative midfielders and wingers. Donis by far is the best option on the wing. We will need fresh players in midfield, what harm will it do if we play Siopis and Kourbelis/Zeca. Samaris has proven to unreliable in defence and provides nothing in attack. Tachtsidis doesn't run enough, although has good vision but is inconsistent. I won't even talk about the rest as we all know who they are. 

10 hours ago, Boxou said:

what's even ridiculous is that they let the players decide for them. and now we reach the point that some of them will be getting called up ισόβια while some else like koutris, mpakakis, pelkas, siovas will be getting ignored at the same time for skibbe's buddies. thank god next official games are in 9 months..

9 months? That's is very far away, but I think the USA will be hosting a tournament at the end of this season. 

Overall, when the qualifiers started, most of us thought that we would finish second or third.   Our goal was second which we accomplished.  We had  a bad draw and got Croatia, which by many experts, is one of the best teams in the world.  Their biggest strength is opposite our biggest weakness, midfield.  Skibbe's selection for that game were poor but he did lose 4 starters due to injury/suspensions.  Beating Croatia was always going to be tough no matter who we played. I seriously doubt that there is  a team in the world who loses 4 starters and not lose a step.  In terms of call ups, while I don't agree with Tsiolis/Tzavellas, I do agree with 15 out of the 20.  Skibbe identified Zeca as a potential call up and he was amazing. Donis, Retsos made their debut as well.  What I am saying is that in his lineup, there are probably one or two guys I would change, but not the entire lineup.  We are not that deep.

Bottom line guys we all know how important the mid position is in creating offence and dictating the pace of the game so for a coach to have Tziolis as his regular starter which no coach in the world would choose makes him an complete idiot. Why not have Siopis/Kourb and Zeca? do you guys think they would do worse then Tziolis and Samaris? And we've said this 100 times but a coach that also  picks Tzavellas regularly over Holebas shows everyone that Skibbe doesn't belong anywhere near our NT as he is clueless. We lack skill and creativity on our team so we CANNOT afford to let guys like Holebas go as we are not a deep team. I'm just venting now as I'm so upset that he is staying because all of his old veterans that got the EPO to keep him will be regular starters for this team. 

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

That's the point even if Skibbe knew this he would have done it by now.. 

We're going to be stuck watching Tziolis,Tzavellas and Samaris and will be scratching our heads with call ups to Vellios and Diamantakos.

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, Dean97 said:

He says slot of stuff we are saying. Surely Skibbe knows this...

My thio Theofani will be a personal trainer to Tachtsidis as Alefanto suggests for him. Frappe, backgammon then two laps around the oval. Pame.
Elephant man suggests Mantalos and Fortounis as the first two chosen. Does he suggest if they both start, where they both play? They have both been there and Mantalo has been on the wing and not that flash playing there either.

Today, my first two chosen for the Pirates are  Donis and Mitroglou.

Thin on midfielders?

Dm: Kourbelis, Siopis K Paps Petsos

Cm: Zeca, Mantalos? Bouchalakis,

Tachtsidis, Charisis, Samaris

Am : Donis, Mantalos, Fortounis,  NInis, Villafanez

Edited by ausgreek

1 minute ago, Dean97 said:

CF and captain of the Pirated Pirates team Deano! That would be the best way to play  both Mantalo and Fortouni. What was Skibbe's fear of playing Mantalo as an 8 anyway (cause one of them two would have to advance further from the other behind Mitro and it would be Fortouni most likely). Skibbster could of done that when it mattered, already.

I also think Donis has upstaged everyone and should probably play anywhere he wants, maybe AM/SS position.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, ausgreek said:

CF and captain of the Pirated Pirates team Deano! That would be the best way to play  both Mantalo and Fortouni. What was Skibbe's fear of playing Mantalo as an 8 anyway (cause one of them two would have to advance further from the other behind Mitro and it would be Fortouni most likely). Skibbster could of done that when it mattered, already.

I also think Donis has upstaged everyone and should probably play anywhere he wants, maybe AM/SS position.

Agree with everything you said Ausgreek.

• Like it 1

Peru could possibly be banned by FIFA for the World Cup due to political interference. Italy could get there spot or even Holland?? why would those teams get the spot especially Holland they didn’t even reach the playoffs. New Zealand lost to Peru would it not make more sense for them to get the spot? Then again this is FIFA, hopefully they would put Greece in for screwing us with the Manolas suspension.

5 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

Yes Greece is exactly where they belong. 47. 

Its sad but true.  Fifa doesn't decided where teams are placed.  It's a points system. 

Check out its pretty accurate. 

Greece are better than many teams above them. They are still carrying the burden of the Euro 2016 campaign with them in the rankings. Their current level, despite the 4-1 loss to Croatia, is easily top 30. 

Note: There are some decent teams that are even worse-represented in the rankings. Japan (55), Korea (59), Russia (65), Slovenia (69) to name a few. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

Pirates

Anestis/Karnezis

Toro (c)                   Manolas                       Sokratis                  Stafyli

Zeca            Kourbelis

Lazaros                      Mantalos/Fortounis                   Donis

Mitroglou

Subs

Karelis   Kone   Tachtsidis  Gianniotas  Galanopoulos 

Siopis   KPaps   Lykogiannis   Bakakis   Kapino   

• Like it 1