3  Italy 1391

4  Spain 1319

5  Germany 1261

6  Czech Republic 1234

7  France 1205

8  Greece 1187  

9  Portugal 1125

10  Netherlands 1124

Ante kai sthn Koryfh ths Eyrwphs meta to Euro 2008!

Well I don't think they are indicative of anything genuine, but I'd take 8th in the world any time!
They've become a lot more realistic now because the quality of opposition is taken into account. Gone are the days when the U.S. would be in 8th position because of 9 consecutive wins against teams like Hondouras.

Now it's much more realistic and as such is reflective of how amazing Otto and the boys' acheivements have been.

Not 100% sure, but I think the champion ( greece ) gets a seed + the hosts ( Austria and Switerland) and theres one more team that gets a seed. I dont know why it wouldnt be Italy though?

Guest geok

It is because until recently UEFA took into account the rankings based only on continental (European) games. But this is most likely to be abandoned because of the controversy of Italy not been seeded in EURO2008, so they decided they will adopt the Fifa rankings from now on, that is, the next EURO (or the rumors say).

The Fifa rankings take into account all Fifa-approved games, including the European Championships and the World Cup and Official international friendlies. The Fifa rankings are essential for qualifying draws for the World cup as we saw last November when Greece was Fifa-ranked 9nth in Europe and was therefore seeded (was the first team of one of the 9 groups that constitute the European qualifying zone), getting the favourable draw that we all know about.

If Greece maintain the same form on getting results, we can continue to get favourable draws for qualifying campains in EUROs and World cups from now on. Basically to guarantee this we must always reach the last 8 in every competition and that should suffice. However, because the point system favours recent results we basically need to keep getting results (wins or draws) to win points, especially nearer the time of the draws...

The European championship finals (starting in less than a month) is another good occasion to get a lot of points out of because they have a higher weight in the ranking of a team.

The next draw will be in November/December 2009 for the European championships and the more wins we get up to that time from our WC2010 campaign the more chances we have for a favourable draw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Latest rankings from FIFA

Top 20

1. Spain

2. Italy

3. Germany

4. Brazil

5. Netherlands

6. Croatia

7. Argentina

8. Czech Republic

9. Russia

10. Portugal

11. France

12. Cameroon

13. Turkey

14. England

15. Bulgaria

16. Israel

17. Greece

18. Romania

19. Ukraine

20. Uruguay

Sweden is dropped to 28th :LOL:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

tsalgik:

I agree the list seems illogical but I do not agree with you about so many of the countries below Greece being better sides.

In fact I would also say that in the case of many of the countries you say are better then Greece that you probably haven't even seen them play so on what do you base your opinion on?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

You made a statement that all these teams are better then Greece. I'm saying that I suspect that you have not seen most of these teams play, so how did you form this opinion.

How do you know Greece wouldn't beat cameroon, or any of these other teams.

Greece have beaten turkey the last time they met and qualified way ahead of the turks for the euros.

Switzeland beat Greece but clearly Greece were not at their best and Greece are ahead of them in their qualifying group this time round.

I can only repeat that if you have not seem most of these teams play on what do you base your opinion?

I am not even prepered to disagree 100% with your argument about some of these sides. I am saying that you appear convinced that they are better then Greece.

I am saying that apart from the top quality sides when you know they have the better players and you can form an opinion without necessarily watching them, the other second tier sides have to convince me that they are better then Greece.

I also frequently go to Tottenham home games I dont just watch football on TV not that this should make a difference to my reasoning.

• 1 month later...

FIFA Rankings

1 Brazil 1672

2 Spain 1590

3 Netherlands 1379

4 Italy 1229

5 Germany 1207

6 Russia 1161

7 England 1135

8 Argentina 1091

9 France 1082

10 Croatia 1031