Phantis Forums

Zagorakis retirement

Athens4

I could think of few other players that should say good bye to NT before the "Arxigos" does.

In any case, I think he should have done it the first time around when the NT failed to qualify for the 2006 WC. Maybe then Otto would have tried to bring in more youngsters in.

I think it would be a nice gesture by EPO to arrange a friendly game in honor of the captain. After all he is the player with the most caps for the Greek national team.

It is sad when a great player has to say goodbye to our national team and it is even worse when he happens to be our captain and one of the most valuable players but since he made up his mind i hope that someone else will emerge and becomes our new ''Captain"and we just have to hope that the new generation can be as half as good and important as Zagorakis was.I agree with Ziaka about having a friendly in his honor.He deserves it.

• 3 weeks later...

Theo Zagorakis has decided to retire from the nationa team. The NT captain will paly his last comeptitive game for the NT next month against Norway. He is being pressured by Gagatsis and otto to also play in the Bosnia game, but he is againt it.

News coming out of EPO are that Gagatsis and Co. is planning to arrange a friendly game against Brazil for February 7, 2007 in which Zagorakis will be honored.

funny thing is otto want to watch stoltidis now against aek to see if he could replace zagorakis. rumour has it thats why zago didnt officially announce his retirement until now.

what has otto been doing the last 2 years????? i mean stoltidis been around for years...´

in any case its always good to play brazil whether they bring all the stars or not.

• 2 weeks later...

He's a LEGEND!!! THEO THE GREAT!!! As much as I know his time has come I really will miss him. He's been my favourite player over the years and the final time he pulls on that Elliniki fanela will bring a tear to my eye!

WE LOVE YOU THEODORI, PAIHTARA!!!!!!!!!!

His name means 'gift from God' and it really could not be more appropriate!

I'd love it if he goes on a bang!!! :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw:

what a captain.... i think its a bit overdue, but i wish they were better times for him to end on, i think he should have resigned on a high note, but if he can really pull of his old form for these 2 games he would be putting our foot in the door for next euro and we could forget all about the last 2 years... :tup:

Theodoros Zagorakis will and always be Greece's best team captain in our nations history. Everything he has accomplished, he is truly a LEGEND. He has won not only the European trophy for Greece, but he won 2 indivdual awards, Carlbergs Man of the Match & Euro 2004 Man of the Tournament (MVP). Best part from him, he's the only Greek player to ever play 100 + international matches. :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

I want to say thank you Zagorakis for everything you have ever done for Greek Football, you sacrified your heart and body for our country. :)

The national squad made us all immensely proud when out of the blue and without a demonstrable track record won the euro 2004. What a display of character and Greek spirit/soul.

Zagorakis was undoubtedly instrumental to this and was declared player of the tournament.

Should the expectations of the team rise following the unexpected success? This is a matter of opinion, mine happens to be probably not. I will always see the euro 2004 as a lifetime gift, a surprise gift something unique. I think we all know what the greek football is really capable of.

Zagorakis has been the focus of the majority of journalists for quite some time now, due to his age and performance. Journalists, mainly from athens arguably, have been passionately pressing for changes in the squad and for new blood to flow in.

but hey now Zagorakis, the only player from a thessaloniki team left in the team has announced that he is leaving the team, no further calls for new people are made. None! I repeat none!

Was that the right atmosphere for the captain to say goodbye. It is tempting to think that if Zagor was playing...say for AEK or others maybe he would not be at the receiving end of all this.

As a proud greek, i find this a bit demoralising. How come all these people who are now highly critical of Zagor, directly or indirectly, Rehagel and the team, still survive in the greek media, mainly in athens- including ERA and Co. They seem to be the rule rather than the exception. An ERA reporter right after the game last night felt he had to ask the players about the performance of Patsatzoglou, praising him, instead of allowing everyone to say a big and proud farewell to the captain.

What can one say? disgrace? what a shame

zagorakis will get his farewell game...

he himself wanted to quit some time ago. it was the epo and otto that convinced him to play two more games. we are in the qualifying campaign now. the team is much more important than zagorakis now.

i dont think it has anything to do with thessaloniki. zagorakis is the oldest player in the squad. is totally off-form and doesnt even deserve a paok starting position at present. i repeat he himself called it quits sometime ago but the official last showing was yesterday. he will be honored in his farewell game next year.

so if you want to direct your anger for the treatment of zagoarakis direct it at otto and the epo. they are responsible. not the media. if a journalist claims zagorakis cant help us in his present form he is probably right. it has nothing to do with ungratefullness. we want to advance as a footballing country thats more important than individual players.

The farewell game is planned by EPO. It will eiother take place in February 2007 or August 2007. the teams menationed are italy, germany, Spain or Portugal. It has not been decided if the game will be in Athens or Thessaloniki. This according to the NT reporter from Metrosport who travelled to Bosnia to cover the game.

so if you want to direct your anger for the treatment of zagoarakis direct it at otto and the epo. they are responsible. not the media.

thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts. I do i agree with you that zagorakis is not at his best and maybe not good enough to be in the national squad- this was too implied in my original post.

The point i'm making is slightly different, i would not disregard the role of the media. To an extent they shape public opinion.

The only correction to your thoughts, if i may, is that what i feel is not anger but sadness rather.

All Greek should thank Zagorakis for his services he gave to the national team. Just the fact that he played 119 games for the team speak for itself.

All indications are that his 120th game that will honor our captain will take place next August at Toumba. Portugal is the first choice by EPO, followed by Germany and Spain.

it is also reported that EPO has offered Zagorakis the position of genaral manager of all Greek national teams.

Archived