Phantis Forums

Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)

Ziaka

It seems to me that every team Gekas moves to gets relegated!

Actually Samsunspor have a seemingly very good core of players in them.

They've got Vlado Petkovic as the team's headcoach. He enjoyed fantastic success at Young Boys Bern, as he promoted top quality players to the world stage, including Seydou Doumbia and Thierry Doubai.

They have a decent goalkeeper in Ertugrul Taşkıran, on loan from Fenerbahce. He was a key player for Fenerbahce A2 (U21s) team when I worked there. Sometimes flops in crosses department, but still OK. Just 21 y-o.

Defence seems to be the weakest area. They have former PSV centre-back Andre Bahia, who seems to be the only decent players in that unit. Valdomiro, Hakan Arslan and Kemal do not seem sufficient.

They have Michael Fink, formerly of Beşiktaş and Monchengladbach in the midfield, partnered by Colombian Dominguez Cabezas, who they signed from FC Sion.

On the right side plays Simon Zenke, Nigerian powerhouse wingforward. On the left they usually put Pal Lazar of Hungary, or Ekigho Ehiosun of Nigeria. Ekigho is the guy who scored both goals vs Galatasaray last week, as they went up 2-0, before losing 2-4.

The striker since the beginning of the season has been Aristide Bance, former Mainz striker. And now that Gekas arrived for that position, I could see Bance either downgraded to the bench, or put on the left side instead of Ekigho.

As stated, Samsunspor do have a very good core of players, plus a decent coach. Will they turn things around in the second half of the season, I don't know but there's every reason to be hopeful.

no offense GS but i think this is a really poor move for gekas. first of all, frankfurt i believe are a better team than samsunspor. the level of the turkish league is not that much better than the greek league, so him playing for them is about the equivalent as him playing for a club like ARIS or XANTHI.

the ONLY reason i see why he made the move was either salary related, or bc he wants to be in better form for the EUROS this summer. i think he could have easily moved to a better league and a better club. no clubs in the bundesliga wanted him? doubtful....

the club will probably be relegated this season and he will move on again, confirming his status as a wandering player...

i think he could have done much better...

no offense GS but i think this is a really poor move for gekas.  first of all, frankfurt i believe are a better team than samsunspor.  the level of the turkish league is not that much better than the greek league, so him playing for them is about the equivalent as him playing for a club like ARIS or XANTHI. 

the ONLY reason i see why he made the move was either salary related, or bc he wants to be in better form for the EUROS this summer.  i think he could have easily moved to a better league and a better club.  no clubs in the bundesliga wanted him? doubtful....

the club will probably be relegated this season and he will move on again, confirming his status as a wandering player...

i think he could have done much better...

Samsun is a nice city, maybe he wanted to be far away for a period?. And wanted a small adventure... If Gekas would moved to Trabzonspor, Bursaspor or equvalent i could understand hence Samsunspor is not in a good position however Samsunspor was a major team in Turkish league untill end of starting of 2000s.

Gekas is 31 and whatever he wants he could do. While football legends are moving to countries which doesn't have any backround about football what Gekas made is much more logical. Samsunspor could stay in league they don't have a bad team.

Greek League and Turkish League has many similarities, as a person knows both leagues little bit, i beleive if we compare the last 6-7 ranking teams of leagues Turkish league is much more better, while when we compare the first teams it is almost at the same level...

This move looks like how Turmer Metin moved to Larissa before. He could play in much more better teams in Trukey however i don't beleive he wished not to move Greece. Now he is the most famous Turkish in Greece, and Larissa funs loved him so much...

Gekas is not only person in this situation, Orduspor whom Gekas scored 2 goals aganist and let to Samsun to win has Hector Cuper, i think he won the Greek Cup in Aris last year?

His success doesn't surprise me to be honest. The Turkish league is an attractive league to watch. The atmosphere at games is excellent and the teams are positive in their approach, but it's fairly weak overall. Weaker than the Greek league, and that's evident by how the teams fair in Europe. This was a stupid move for him in my opinion. He's at the age where he could have had a shot at one last hurrah. The likes of Everton are desperate for a forward, as if they wouldn't have taken him on loan with an option to buy considering he's so cheap and they just sold Saha. If not, Fulham would have. Why go to a team like Samsunspor? Money perhaps?

His success doesn't surprise me to be honest. The Turkish league is an attractive league to watch. The atmosphere at games is excellent and the teams are positive in their approach, but it's fairly weak overall. Weaker than the Greek league, and that's evident by how the teams fair in Europe. This was a stupid move for him in my opinion. He's at the age where he could have had a shot at one last hurrah. The likes of Everton are desperate for a forward, as if they wouldn't have taken him on loan with an option to buy considering he's so cheap and they just sold Saha. If not, Fulham would have. Why go to a team like Samsunspor? Money perhaps?

So isn't money a good reason for a footballer who is 31 years old:)

If he would be transfered to 1 of 3 big teams in Istanbul next year he could even earn 3 milion per year... I don't think another club in the world will pay 3 milion to Gekas, isn't it? If Gekas is too good that it seen he is good, he will be in Besiktas, Galatasaray or Fenerbahce next year even he will be 32.

I don't know Greek league however it is my guess that the 2 leagues are similar. On the other hand Turkish league market value is much more bigger than Greek league. Broadcasting price of Turkish Super League is more expensive than Bundesliga, it is 5th in Europe.

Is there a posibility Gekas' root from Black See Region-Pont?

Gekas gave a full hope to Samsunspor now all sıpporters happy that they have good forward and they beleive Samsun will stay in Super league this year...

His name would have been Gekidis if that were the case :P
I don't know his surname but i found an article in Turkish very interesting, I ll translate some parts for you...

The first Greek who carry Ataturk over his heart...

The Grrek Footballer become all hope for Samsun City to stay in Turkish Super League and he is the first Greek footballer who carry Ataturk emblem over his jersey as City symbol.* (Samsun is the city where Kemal Ataturk started to resist aganist to occupation of Anatolia and aganist to Ottoman government so the emblem of city is Ataturk riding a horse reared up)

When the journalist ask about the above issue he always avoid to answer this question, when they insist he prefer to say he is not good on historical issues. Also Samsunspor managers cut the chat by telling that they and Gekas decided not to comment on this kind of question to block the misunderstanding and not to heart 2 commmunity they focused on football...

''As many Greeks related with Anatolia and Turkey he doesn't have any root from Anatolia'' He was a worker child from Larissa and had a difficult chilhood. He has a wresling Championship of Greece in these years but he is only focus that the football which he learned with his brother by playing on the streets. When jornalists ask about his education he aanswers ''football school'2 he graduated form high school.

He is married with his only and single love Vanessa, whom he met in a cafe in Athens. They have a twins Nikolas and Mikaela. He is now staying in a hotel in Samsun however after he is organised he is planing to move a house and carry his family to Samsun from Korfu Island.

I don't need to show myself.

He says that his career is confirmed, he doesn't need to show himself anybody. He says that he knows about the hospitability of Turks from Germany but he really suprised to face this kind of hospitability in Samsun everybody welcomed him perfect in Turkey. His only target now to carry Smasunspor to up rankings.

He learned Lefter here

He learned about Lefter Kucukantonionaidis, and he apriciated his carieer in Turkey and his magic to collect everybody around him.

He is familier to play in Turkey that he played aganist to Turkish National Team in Istanbul Ali Sami Yen and Inonu Stadiums. Turkish NT is good team but everytime they manage to fall in a difficult group, this is bad lack of them.

Short Chat for about Turkey

He talk about bad effect of the crises on Greece. On the other hand he says that he was hearing from Turkish friends about the developing in turkey but he recognised it by himself when he came to Turkey. He says that turkey is a big country and really developing power.

Turkish is a difficult language it has a strange melody inside, when he find time first opportunity he will start to learn Turkish.

A proffesional interview, i liked it...

If he would be transfered to 1 of 3 big teams in Istanbul next year he could even earn 3 milion per year... I don't think another club in the world will pay 3 milion to Gekas, isn't it? If Gekas is too good that it seen he is good, he will be in Besiktas, Galatasaray or Fenerbahce next year even he will be 32.

I don't know Greek league however it is my guess that the 2 leagues are similar. On the other hand Turkish league market value is much more bigger than Greek league. Broadcasting price of Turkish Super League is more expensive than Bundesliga, it is 5th in Europe.

Gekas gave a full hope to Samsunspor now all sıpporters happy that they have good forward and they beleive Samsun will stay in Super league this year...

Had he moved to one of the big 4 in Turkey (Trabzonspor being the other) I wouldn't say it was a stupid move. But to move to Samsunspor in the hope that he gets a move to one of the big 4 is dumb. He was wanted by Glasgow Rangers, Everton were rumoured to have been interested. Olympiakos have been admirers for a while. So moving to Samsunspor isn't grat. As you say the Greek league and the Turkish league are similar, so it would be the equivalent of him moving to Levadiakos in Greece. That would be a dumb move too.

Had he moved to one of the big 4 in Turkey (Trabzonspor being the other) I wouldn't say it was a stupid move. But to move to Samsunspor in the hope that he gets a move to one of the big 4 is dumb. He was wanted by Glasgow Rangers, Everton were rumoured to have been interested. Olympiakos have been admirers for a while. So moving to Samsunspor isn't grat. As you say the Greek league and the Turkish league are similar, so it would be the equivalent of him moving to Levadiakos in Greece. That would be a dumb move too.
So, if they were offering the same money it is strange... You are right.

However i find it a marginal decision not a dumb move because he is not too young so we can't say, he damaged his career. On the otherhand you can't compare the atmosphere between Samsun and Levadiakos, maybe the football quality is not much different but Samsun is a football city with 1.250.000 population. I am sure he doesn't pay for anything that nobady take money from him because he scored 3 to Fenerbahce :LOL:

As far as i understand from interview he came to Samsun for half season because he even stay at hotel didn't want a house from managers. So maybe he has some other plans and didn't wanted to sign a long term contract with Glascow or another bigger team.

The win came against Eskisehirspor

A cheap Red Card for Gekas, he also got very angry to decision. Samsun is going on well to stay in Superleague, Ankaragucu already relegated due to management problems, however Karabukspor also won aganist to Fenerbahce today... Ranking is in below link.

Turkish Super League Ranking

Edited by haydar

• 1 month later...

Gekas left Samsun and he got emotional moments. Couldn't keep his tears and he told that he spend a unbeleivable 3 monthes with full love and attention by Samsun people. It was the first time he saw a love to a foreigner in his life.

Gekas went to Greece due to his injury and he will not able to play last 3 mathes, however he told that he will come and support Samsunspor in standium.

Samsun has very very little change not to relegated they have to win last 3 matched while all competitors has to loose last 3 matches. Samsun payed to Gekas 650K per for half season. In press it is declarated that Kayserispor is interested with Gekas for next season seriously.

Posted Image

http://spor.milliyet.com.tr/gekas-gozyasla...947/default.htm

• 4 months later...

I don't doubt it's a great move for him but was Levante wise to sign him? :huh:

Why not? He's a proven goalscorer. A real fox in the fox, particularly at small clubs. Levante had a great season but they certainly punched above their weight. There's no reason he can't help them have decent season

• 5 months later...

Gekas signed for Akhisar Belediyespor which is weakest team of the Turkish Super League for this year. Again Gekas and Again the team biggest candidate to be delegated.

Now I am sure that Gekas wants to earn money and instead of to play in a difficult league as a step player he prefer to be best player of a team even it is wekaest team of the Turkish League. Meanwhile some other clubs from Turkish League are offered to Gekas but probably with lower price. He chose Akhisar, which is a municipablity of Manisa City. It was suprise last year they qualified to Super Leage first time in their history with the support of famous ''kofte'' restoraunt chains ''Akhisar Ramiz Kofte''

http://www.fanatik.com.tr/iste-son-akigo-g..._403_293028.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (free agent)
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic