Phantis Forums

Will we ever get World Cup in Greece?

I don't think so. The only reason we got the olympics is because we invented it. :gr:

It was probably the best olympics ever, but Greece had big-time financial problems pouring lots of money into the project. There was also that controversy surrounding the workers, wondering if they could even get the project done in time for the olympics. As usual they finished the job last minute.

In my opinion, they probably could handle a world cup and get Greece prepared in last minute fashion as with the olympics. But I don't think FIFA and the rest of the world is willing to take that risk.

Hey, at least we got the Champions League Final in Athens. :)

I don't think so. The only reason we got the olympics is because we invented it. :gr:

It was probably the best olympics ever, but Greece had big-time financial problems pouring lots of money into the project. There was also that controversy surrounding the workers, wondering if they could even get the project done in time for the olympics. As usual they finished the job last minute.

In my opinion, they probably could handle a world cup and get Greece prepared in last minute fashion as with the olympics. But I don't think FIFA and the rest of the world is willing to take that risk.

Hey, at least we got the Champions League Final in Athens. :)

The facilities for another Olympics are already there, so the cost won't be high, but a world cup would mean building bigger stadiums. Cant see that happening. However, with the Kariaskaki, Olympic stadium, PAO's new stadium, and Irkalis' there's no reason why we couldnt host a European Championships.

Hellas has a territorial advantage.. For EUROs, UEFA usually prefers countries that are occupying small territories (Sweden --for the liveable part--, England, Belgium & Holland, Portugal). So you guys can have a chance.. You can also make touristic use of some isles like Corfu or Crete by building +-30000 cap. stadiums in those cities..

just and idea, anyways.. :smartass:

The facilities for another Olympics are already there, so the cost won't be high, but a world cup would mean building bigger stadiums. Cant see that happening. However, with the Kariaskaki, Olympic stadium, PAO's new stadium, and Irkalis' there's no reason why we couldnt host a European Championships.

There is also gonna be a stadium for AEK, plus the stadium in Heraklion which was used for the olympics (how big is the Irkali's stadium by the way?)

Well, at first, Greece could have organised a Confederation Cup like France did in 2003. 4 stadiums are needed for this kind of competition which is fine for Greece.

But I agree, a Euro championship could be organised over there...

It will never happen.At least in the 30-40 years to come.We don t have the stadiums to organise a similar competition.And you know how the things are in Greece.In my hometown for example they promised us a stadium in 1990-92.Not a new one but to renew the old one.If you go and see there, you will find out that is the same as 50 years ago

http://www.stadia.gr/drama-f/drama-f-gr.html

Archived