PAOK and UEFA Cup: 2006-2007

Ziaka

Finally some good news for PAOK....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updated: June 15, 2006

PAOK Salonika barred from UEFA Cup

ATHENS, June 15 (Reuters) - Greek club PAOK Salonika have been barred from taking part in next season's UEFA Cup after soccer's governing body in Europe ruled that the necessary financial guarantees had been submitted too late.

The announcement was made on the website of EPO, Greece's soccer federation, which last week gave the club the green light to play in the competition after it received a six-million-euro ($7.56-million) guarantee from the National Bank of Greece.

PAOK declined to comment on the decision but a UEFA press spokesman said there was no recourse to an appeal.

'This was an administrative matter and not a disciplinary one. In such cases there is no appeal system at UEFA,' he said.

'If PAOK wants to appeal then it must go through the Court of Arbitration for Sport.'

Atromitos, who finished seventh in the league, one place below PAOK, will now play in the UEFA Cup and Larissa in the Intertoto Cup.

this is the BIGGEST disgrace ever by uefa!

this now means that we(greece) will loose 2 games for sure(no matter the opposision).

atromitos-xanthi(only gets 1 draw every time they play) will make sure that greece is kept to an minimum of points!!!

this is a move by uefa to fast get greece back to the stoneage, where pao

occasionaly gets a good run in europe!!!

Panathinaikos FC 66.587

GRE 1st Iraklis FC 12.587

GRE 1st Skoda Xanthi FC 12.587

GRE 1st Atromitos FC 10.587

look at the other ones points(exept pao) they will all face the likes of roma-sevilla-villareal-totenham-schalke and others in their 1st games and they will all go out!

but ofcourse paok has only epo and the totally corrupt greek system to thank(they could have warned them or helped them) like they helped aek(should have been degraded to the 3rd division) instance

One disaster after the other for PAOK. I'm glad I bought myself an official jersey last year, while they still exist...

but ofcourse paok has only epo and the totally corrupt greek system to thank(they could have warned them or helped them) like they helped aek(should have been degraded to the 3rd division) instance

more talk of what should have become of AEK. Lets be honest, if you are concerned with the greek league being placed back into the stoneage than the truth is greece's four top teams should be allowed and not demoted.

Black Eye for Greek Soccer?

Of course it is. BUT, UEFA is doing Greece a favour. PAOK has been doing this for too long of a time now. This once proud organization is no longer.

Hopefully PAOK get's things straight and in a yuear or two is back super strong.

Eveyone knows the fans will stick with them

Black Eye for Greek Soccer?

Of course it is. BUT, UEFA is doing Greece a favour. PAOK has been doing this for too long of a time now. This once proud organization is no longer.

Hopefully PAOK get's things straight and in a yuear or two is back super strong.

Eveyone knows the fans will stick with them

good point ;)

Bad decision for PAOK and Greek soccer. The only thing with this decision it wll be a wake up call for ALL Greek teams. That shows that FIFA is not playing around. EPO looked liked s%$#! by saying yes and then FIFA stepping in and saying NO. A re a8anath ELLADA!!!!!!

I hope that PAOK takes this case to CAS. I believe that we don't have a chance of wining this, but the team must show that we will fight for our cause to the end, because if we don't in future cases such as this, they (EPO, UEFA, etc.) will always walk over us.

to be honest, it doesn't bother me that we missed out on UEFA this season. This will give us a chance to build a new team and focus on league and cup, that is all going well with the sale of the team. This year is going to be a difficult one for the team, UEFA would have been a distraction.

Seriously guys... the state of football in Greece is a total and utter disgrace and far from something to laugh at. Corruption is rife, our national team is ageing, clubs are going bankrupt left right and centre, and all the while the 'big guys' in Athens are constantly turing a blind eye... Super league my a*** !!! :angry:

CAS (International Court of Sports Arbitration) will hear the PAOK appeal concerning UEFA Cup on Wednesday. They will most likely issue a verdict the next day. the chances of PAOK winning the appeal appear to be minimal.

According to Radio Sport, CAS has turned down PAOK's appeal against UEFA's decision not to allow PAOK to participate in the next UEFA Cup. This is the definitive decision, since there is no possibility of appeal.

Archived