Phantis Forums

Shearer ends glittering career

Shearer ends glittering career

Former England international Alan Shearer has confirmed that he has been forced to retire earlier than planned because of a knee injury.

'Great memories'

The 35-year-old, who was due to stop playing in May, tore knee ligaments at Sunderland on Monday and has been ruled out for the rest of the season, bringing a premature end to his glittering Newcastle United FC career. "I'm finished now and I have great memories," he said in The Sun newspaper. "The fact I won't be able to play the last three games is disappointing but I'm not complaining. How could I?"

Staggering record

Shearer netted a staggering 379 goals in 733 club appearances in a brilliant career which included spells at Southampton FC, Blackburn Rovers FC and, most famously, Newcastle. The north-east club's record goalscorer, he never lifted silverware at St. James's Park, but insists: "I've never had any regrets". He did win the Premiership with Blackburn in 1994-95 and, after scoring on his England debut in a 2-0 win over France in 1992, went on to notch 30 goals in 63 appearances before announcing his international retirement in 2000.

Archived