Phantis Forums

Aggelos Basinas (Portsmouth)

slick13

I watched the game and certainly wouldn't rave about his performance; it wasn't THAT good, but he was OK, not bad at all and its only his first game. He delivered a really good free kick at one point, no surprise. He might work for the full 90. Portsmouth seem to have some serious defense problems though, which is why Liverpool came back unfortunately. And I thought OUR defense was lousy!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought he had a decent game vs. Liverpool, but nothing exceptional. Don't see why he would get rave reviews though. He was involved in the game and had a few good attempts with the set pieces, came very close to connecting with Sol Campbell for a goal on a long free kick.

I'd like to see Gekas do well, perhaps become one of the better strikers in the EPL for this half of the season? Don't know too much about the lineup of strikers for Portsmouth.

Hi Guys

I watched the Portsmouth vs Manchester City game last night. I kept a very close eye on Basinas as i followed his bald patch around the ground.

His movement off and with the ball was superb.

His passing was accurate.

His tackling was excellent.

He played a great game before deserving a well earned rest at 66mins.

For me he controlled the Midfield well... Ireland and Elano could not do sh it in the midfield.

I am not being bias. I actually think he had a great performance last night.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He's playing again in the cup tonight. Portsmouth are 1-3 up at Carlisle. About 40 mins in the Sky Sports News reporters said he was running the midfield :tup: i haven't heard anything since about the game so i have no idea if he's continued to dominate. I still think he belongs in the Greek squad, maybe not the team but certainly the squad. He's still much better than Tziolis

He's playing again in the cup tonight. Portsmouth are 1-3 up at Carlisle. About 40 mins in the Sky Sports News reporters said he was running the midfield :tup: i haven't heard anything since about the game so i have no idea if he's continued to dominate. I still think he belongs in the Greek squad, maybe not the team but certainly the squad. He's still much better than Tziolis

file mou he was playing against CARLISLE i'd expect him to run the midfield but as he doesn't play any league games how can you consider him for the greece squad ?

file mou he was playing against CARLISLE i'd expect him to run the midfield but as he doesn't play any league games how can you consider him for the greece squad ?

Well you can only play against what's put in front of you. I'm not saying he should be in the Greece squad because he played well against Carlisle, I'm saying that Greece doesn't have depth in the squad and Basinas should be in the squad because he's good enough. The fact that he doesn't play is irrelevant. There are loads of players that don't play for their clubs that do for their countries. Basinas is better than Tziolis and Makos so he should be in the squad, simple.

Hart hasn't given him a fair chance, but then again he has ruined Pompey and made them favourites to go down. Basinas is certainly capable of adding a bit of class to their hard working line up even in a bit-part role, much like Campo did for Bolton or Tugay for Blackburn. So good performances might force Hart's hand.

Hart hasn't given him a fair chance, but then again he has ruined Pompey and made them favourites to go down. Basinas is certainly capable of adding a bit of class to their hard working line up even in a bit-part role, much like Campo did for Bolton or Tugay for Blackburn. So good performances might force Hart's hand.

like i said managers have favourites and the fact that hart never signed him makes it less likely that he'll play league games. i think he deserves to play but he's no way in the same league as campo or tugay

like i said managers have favourites and the fact that hart never signed him makes it less likely that he'll play league games. i think he deserves to play but he's no way in the same league as campo or tugay

I mean that he's in the same mould, i.e. style as Tugay and Campo, not necessarily talking about his ability. Brandao and Gomis are in the same mould as Drogba, neither are as good. Having said this Basinas in his prime (at Panathinaikos and first year at Mallorca was top class). It's silly to judge his ability now as a reflection of his career. He's old now.

• 3 months later...

He came on as a sub tonight as in Portsmouth's win at Coventry in the FA Cup. Basinas was superb.

- He played a pass in the the area that was headed on by Diop and then headed in by Wright (into his own net), so he played a roll in Portsmouth's late equaliser.

- In extra time Basinas put in a superb cross to find Piquionne, who headed off the post. Piquionne was offside so it wouldn't have counted but the cross was perfect.

- Basinas then played a fantastic through-ball to send Utaka through 1 on 1 only for the forward to try and take the ball around the keeper and eventually miss.

- His final contribution was to take the corner in the 31st minute of extra time that was headed in by Mokoena to put Portsmouth through to the next round.

His pass completion rate must have also been close to 100%. He was noticably slower than he used to be when running but he really was fantastic tonight. He seemed at his best when in an advanced position because he was able to use his passing range without being exposed for a lack of pace. I wonder how he'd fair as an attacking midfielder therefore. Ruud Gullit made this transition in position and it may work for Basinas too. Someone else first mentioned this here, i think it may have been aek66 and i think he may have been right.

apart from his shot that went out for a throw he did well vs coventry, when he is given time and space on the ball he uses it well, and his positional sense is good too, however he struggles with the pace and power of the premier league, i think he's better suited to italian football, i think he would have done really well if he played in italy

it will be interesting to see if he keeps his place for the next game, he certainly deserves a place in the squad after last night

apart from his shot that went out for a throw he did well vs coventry, when he is given time and space on the ball he uses it well, and his positional sense is good too, however he struggles with the pace and power of the premier league, i think he's better suited to italian football, i think he would have done really well if he played in italy

it will be interesting to see if he keeps his place for the next game, he certainly deserves a place in the squad after last night

I totally agree. His class is evident but he's too old for the physical battle now. According the fans ratings on Skysports.com, Basinas was the man of the match last night! :tup:

http://www.skysports.com/football/user_rat...3232460,00.html

i dont know why basinas is still at the club. how many matches has he played TOTAL since he has been there? i dont even think its even in double digits..im sure hes not getting paid either..portsmouth have not been paying there players their full wages have they?

i dont know why basinas is still at the club. how many matches has he played TOTAL since he has been there? i dont even think its even in double digits..im sure hes not getting paid either..portsmouth have not been paying there players their full wages have they?

It's the problem of where to go if he leaves.

Olympiakos just isn't an option and he knows it. PAO are strong in centre-mid so what's the point in going there. AEK would be a good move for him and them in my opinion but his first stint didnt go as planned and the fans wouldn't want him back.

PAOK & Aris could be an option but would they be willing to pay to bring him? It's not like they're weak in those positions. So it's all a question of options. Personally I think he should go to Italy, he could easily player for a lower Serie A club.

PAS & Atromitos are also said to want him in Greece. Personally I think he'd be better off going to one of the big teams in Cyprus rather than PAS or Atromitos. His agent needs to get on the case.

From the moment he came on he stood out compared to the headless chickens around him.

Sure he doesnt have much pace but always found space for himself to do his stuff.

He was easily the classiest player on the pitch.

Shame he wont get enough opportunity to show his skills.

http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/vi...w.php?id=218891

That is the link to a Portsmouth fans' message boards (much like these forums here, just not as cool :P ). They seem to love Basinas. Here are the comments following the game at Coventry:

"Odd how we've looked a lot better when we finally get a midfielder on the pitch who can actually pass the ball.

Basinas struggles to get on the bench. Yet we've persevered with Hughes, Mullins, Mokoena and Brown.

Just does'nt add up."

"See my thread 12 minutes of football.

The bloke is class and just makes it look easy."

"He should be playing,simple as. A playmaker and we don't have another one."

"There's summat smelly going on when he cant start ahead of Brown, Mullins, Hughes, Mokoena, Smith etc etc"

"The guy was head and shoulders above every other pompey player, Def worth a start on sat"

"yeah made a big difference"

"It's obvious really, Basinas does silly things like pass to his team mates!!"

"Legs may be going but the class is still there"

"he must start along with utaka on sat!"

"Along with Kanu, he is the classiest player we have left, even if like the Nigerian he has lost a bit of pace.

He was certainly quick enough for that game tonight. What a difference it made to have a real playmaker in there, compared to tripe like Mullins and Brown."

On another thread: http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/vi...w.php?id=219072

"Yes, he may be old, and lightweight in the tackle, but for me he offers something that no-one else in the squad does currently.

He passes forward, and intelligently, and like many players of that type/experience, appears to have time on the ball.

Yes, his shot to the corner was awful, but so were many others' 'attempts'. Both goals came from his delivery, and we have enough central midfielders to cover him.

For me, he simply has to be given a chance."

and finally... http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/vi...w.php?id=218814

"You can see the difference a player in midfield who can pass the ball can make.

Looked much better with Basinas in there."

"I couldn't agree more."

"yep bas sticks up like a sore thumb with his ability to pass to a team mate, keep him in the team i reckon"

"seems a no brainer to me, diop, mullins and brown are all ball winners, as is moko, you need someone to distribute from midfield otherwise as tonight we pass the ball into the centre or win the ball in the tackle...then/....nothing"

The guy is sheer class. He doesn't have the legs but he's arguably the most naturally gifted player of Euro 2004 (along with Tsartas and Dellas). He should move abroad if they don't start playing him because he is capable of being in that Greece squad for the World Cup ahead of a palto like Tziolis

he is being paid, portsmouth are paying wages its just that they've paid them a week late on 3 occasions. his contract is up in june so he'll move then.

also at his age not playing regularly (particularly in a league as fast and physical as the prem) is not a bad thing it keeps him fresh and injury free and on the occasions that he's called upon he's able to put in a decent performance

@euro

a lower team in serie a will be perfect for him, he should have moved to italy years ago, the premierleague just doesn't suit him and not just because of his age, he's never been the quickest or the strongest player, if he gets a run of games for portsmouth i think he'd struggle because you're not given space or time on the ball in england.

teams like siena, bologna etc would really suit him, i feel he'd do really well there

he is being paid, portsmouth are paying wages its just that they've paid them a week late on 3 occasions. his contract is up in june so he'll move then.

also at his age not playing regularly (particularly in a league as fast and physical as the prem) is not a bad thing it keeps him fresh and injury free and on the occasions that he's called upon he's able to put in a decent performance

@euro

a lower team in serie a will be perfect for him, he should have moved to italy years ago, the premierleague just doesn't suit him and not just because of his age, he's never been the quickest or the strongest player, if he gets a run of games for portsmouth i think he'd struggle because you're not given space or time on the ball in england.

teams like siena, bologna etc would really suit him, i feel he'd do really well there

Years ago he'd have been a hit in my opinion. Like all good players he always seemed to have time on the ball. That's even the case now. The difference now is he can't cope with the physicality. He's not fast enough (in body, not in mind) and isn't strong enough anymore. Nonetheless, they can't stick with Mullins, Diop and Brown. All are ball-winner but distribute the ball as well as a one-legged blind-man.

I was one of the people that criticised the move thinking he'd flop, but fair-play to the guy, whenever he's played he's been one of their better players. It's ridiculous that he doesn't play more.

Having said all that Serie A would be perfect him. If not then I'd rather he went to Anorthosis or APOEL rather than PAS or Atromitos. It's a world cup year and he has to leave Pompey asap

Archived