Phantis Forums

CYPRIOT BAGDATIS IS GREAT!

bides

Cypriot Baghdatis stuns seed Stepanek in Australia

MELBOURNE, Jan 18 (Reuters) - Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus put on another thrilling display at the Australian Open on Wednesday, downing 17th seed Radek Stepanek 6-4 6-3 3-6 0-6 7-5.

Baghdatis in 2005 became the first Cypriot to reach the fourth round of a grand slam event since tennis turned professional, coming through the qualifying rounds in Melbourne before stunning 13th seed Tommy Robredo in the third round.

The former world number one junior repeated that level of performance against Czech Stepanek, riding his luck with outrageous chip shots and crunching ground strokes to the delight of dozens of noisy fans on show drawn from Melbourne's large Greek and Cypriot communities.

He will face German qualifier Denis Gremelmayr in

WHY DONT U GO KILL UR SELF U MORON!!! NO ONE WANTS U IN THESE FORUM U GREEK WANNA B...

How does it feel to not b greek? must hurt?? go ram ur Muslim Konstantinou, u arab!!!

SO WHAT R U TRYING TO TELL Us THAT CYPRUS IS NOT GREEK>>UM LAST I CHECKED IT WAS A GREEK ISLAND..LAST I checked Greece and Cyprus share the same National Anthem U KANGAROO HOPING MORON......I served in the army with ELDYK m*****smene.... DO U Even No where Greece is..

This topic is about Bagdatis GO CHEER FOR HIM OR ARE U BUSY WITH THE KANGAROOS!!!!

WHY DONT U GO KILL UR SELF U MORON!!! NO ONE WANTS U IN THESE FORUM U GREEK WANNA B...

How does it feel to not b greek? must hurt?? go ram ur Muslim Konstantinou, u arab!!!

SO WHAT R U TRYING TO TELL Us THAT CYPRUS IS NOT GREEK>>UM LAST I CHECKED IT WAS A GREEK ISLAND..LAST I checked Greece and Cyprus share the same National Anthem U KANGAROO HOPING MORON......I served in the army with ELDYK m*****smene.... DO U Even No where Greece is..

This topic is about Bagdatis GO CHEER FOR HIM OR ARE U BUSY WITH THE KANGAROOS!!!!

Last time i checked Cyprus was its own country with its own government with its own identity....

or r u that dumb that u cant Distinguish between reality and personal preferences?

look it up in a map, Cyprus isnt a greek island no more, ur people/government made sure of that... so how about u go ram some of ur fellow Muslim natives....

i could be half chinese and im still more greek then you... truth hurts doesnt it...

u dont belive me, then look it up...

Greek wanna be!!!!

Edited by HOLLYWOOD

YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT HISTORY U DUMB MORAN....MAYBE IF U WENT TO GREEK SCHOOL YOU WOULD KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT HELLENISM...

HAVE U EVEN BEEN TO GREECE.. PROB NOT ur just a wanna be!!!!! ARE your friends GReek thats why you want to be GREEk..IS it that cool thing to pretend your a different Nationality!!! ITS ok your COOL man PARTY ON DUDE!!!

LEARN ABOUT HISTORY BEFORE YOU TALK POULIMENE!!!

IS it that cool thing to pretend your a different Nationality!!! ITS ok your COOL man PARTY ON DUDE!!!

Look who’s talking!!!! Why don’t u look in the mirror jack ass…. Also while ur at it how about u go and purchase a map, it will clearly state that Cyprus is an independent country…. Ur the wantna be, and u know what I will cheer for my “aussies” in the tennis because unlike ur Cypriots they win tournaments, medals ect…

IS it that cool thing to pretend your a different Nationality!!! ITS ok your COOL man PARTY ON DUDE!!!

Look who’s talking!!!! Why don’t u look in the mirror jack ass…. Also while ur at it how about u go and purchase a map, it will clearly state that Cyprus is an independent country…. Ur the wantna be, and u know what I will cheer for my “aussies” in the tennis because unlike ur Cypriots they win tournaments, medals ect…
NA PEIS NA g*****EIS m*****SMENE!!!!

NA PEIS NA g*****EIS m*****SMENE!!!!
yeh go ###### ur self to...

The former world number one junior repeated that level of performance against Czech Stepanek, riding his luck with outrageous chip shots and crunching ground strokes to the delight of dozens of noisy fans on show drawn from Melbourne's large Greek and Cypriot communities.

YOU READ ABOVE U MORON THATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN U AND I.. GREEKS SHOULD STICK TOGETHER BUT UR A BELLO AUSTRALIAN U DONT KNOW ANY BETTER...

YOU READ ABOVE U MORON THATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN U AND I.. GREEKS SHOULD STICK TOGETHER BUT UR A BELLO AUSTRALIAN U DONT KNOW ANY BETTER...

Why do u call ur self greek?? when clearly your country (Cyprus) is an Independent nation??? like i said u have ur OWN government....

so plz dnt even try.....

i suppose any greeks who live outside Greece in other countrys such as Australia, England, Canada, America ect... are not considerd Greek according to you??

and you talk about sticking together....

P.S im done wasting my time on an un-educated moron who cant spell and is so Obsessed with his country he cant even Distinguish reality from fantasy … im not gonna respond to ur BS no more.... :tdown:

Baghdatis Takes the Hard Road

by Jason Phelan

Thursday, 19 January, 2006

Being a top-ranked junior doesn't automatically translate to success on the senior tour and, like many before him, Marcos Baghdatis has found that out the hard way.

Hailing from the small Mediterranean island nation of Cyprus, Baghdatis has had to make the transition without the aid of a strong local tour like those found in major tennis playing nations.

"You know, it was really tough for me because I didn't have any wildcards, didn't have any help from my country like other players did," the 20-year-old said after advancing to the third round of the Australian Open 2006 on Day Three.

"So I had to fight my way through and pass ‑ all the Grand Slams I played last year were quallies - and pass the quallies. The years before, playing challengers and everything. After I finished No.1 in juniors, it was not so easy for me."

"I'm really happy because I made a lot of sacrifices. My family did. A lot of people believed in me and I believed in me. So it's great to be here and I think that I have much more work to do and the way is long and my objectives are higher."

"So I know I have to keep my feet on the ground, work hard, and I can go even much better."

The road to Baghdatis' current success started many years ago when he was sent abroad as a young lad to learn his craft by his father who he says is 'crazy about tennis'.

"It was tough, you know, at 14 years old to go alone to Paris," he recalled.

"It was really tough, but I got through it and I think it helped me a lot through my career, through my life also. It helped me a lot and I got mature really quick and starting to take responsibilities really early in my life."

"So it was tough, but I think it's one of the best ways to learn things."

Now ranked a career-high No.52 in the world, Baghdatis has enjoyed some of the best results of his career Down Under having won the Australian Open junior boys title in 2003 and reached the round of 16 in the main draw of last year's centenary Open.

Baghdatis overcame a bout of stomach cramps to outlast Stepanek 6-4 6-3 3-6 0-6 7-5 out on Show Court Two.

"I was just in my dream, in my own thing. I couldn't feel anything (even) if my body was moving along," he said of his performance in the first two sets."

"I was just watching the ball, I was just in one big ball and just watching at the ball and just moving along. I mean, it was amazing."

He was brought back down to earth with a thud, however, losing the third and fourth sets.

"I had some stomach cramping, so I wasn't feeling so good in the court," he explained.

"I had the break with the physios so that gave me some breath. I had problems breathing, so it gave me some time to breathe and to relax a bit."

"And at 3‑3 in the fifth set I start feeling much better, much more pumped up. So I think I was really pumped up in the end."

Baghdatis' third-round opponent will be German qualifier Denis Gremelmayr.

His next opponent in 20-year-old Baghdatis is the first player from his country ever to be ranked inside the top 100 but the Cypriot is not a complete stranger to Australian tennis fans.

Not only did he win the 2003 junior title at Melbourne Park but he reached the fourth round here last year before losing to world No.1 Roger Federer.

Roared on by some fanatical supporters on court two, Baghdatis showed great character against Stepanek after threatening to implode when he seemingly had the match won. But Baghdatis finally prevailed 6-4 6-3 3-6 0-6 7-5 in just over three hours.

Why do u call ur self greek?? when clearly your country (Cyprus) is an Independent nation??? like i said u have ur OWN government....

so plz dnt even try.....

i suppose any greeks who live outside Greece in other countrys such as Australia, England, Canada, America ect... are not considerd Greek according to you??

and you talk about sticking together....

P.S im done wasting my time on an un-educated moron who cant spell and is so Obsessed with his country he cant even Distinguish reality from fantasy … im not gonna respond to ur BS no more.... :tdown:

HOLLYWOOD IS A MORON IS THAT TOO GREEK FOR YOU!!

Boys whats going on? I don't see what the problem is, although Greece and Cyprus are two different countries as far as im concerned they are like brothers. I'm Greek and im supporting Baghdatis.

Hollywood, if you saw the match with Baghdatis you would have seen all the Greek flags that the people that were supporting Baghdatis were using.

PEACE

Boys whats going on? I don't see what the problem is, although Greece and Cyprus are two different countries as far as im concerned they are like brothers. I'm Greek and im supporting Baghdatis.

Hollywood, if you saw the match with Baghdatis you would have seen all the Greek flags that the people that were supporting Baghdatis were using.

PEACE

the problem isnt BAGDATIS, the problem is Bidis who keeps on shoving his cypriot pride down everyones throat!!!

he claims im not Greek because i was born in Australia (and that goes for anyone else who was born outside of Greece) so im doing the same by clamin his not greek since cyprus is its own country....

its tit for tat....

PEACE

BRavo file we are brothers..Im proud of my Greek Heritage...Yeah im from Cyprus we should all be united...This is about Bagdatis..Sikoseto re Bagdatis Tonight the flags will be waving like crazy!!!!!!

Bagdatis gets his strength from his greek support who knows how far he can go!!