Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

One USA reporter (I believe it was one of those SI luminaries) was annoyed that the Greek reporters cheered so loudly and jumped up and down. 'Objective journalism at its best', he noted sarcastically.

He also commented that the reporters kissed the Greek players, and he took the trouble to specify in parentheses 'on the cheek'.

:rolleyes:

Another SI guy to his credit, suggested that NBA boss David Stern stop calling the league champs 'world champs'. Good point!

Question, how come the Americans accepted their Bronze Medal today and did not wait for tommorow at the end of the final to get the Bronze with Greece and Spain??

Good question. Maybe they'll be there again tomorrow.

I hope so, you need to have a complete podium, not to mention the galanolefki above the stars and stripes.

http://japan2006.contrasport.com/teams/Spa...ain/128276.html

Gasol is out...however Spain is still a team that will be incredibly difficult with or without Gasol...

I don't think this changes anything really too much- may actually make thing more difficult. A team can get up for one game without a player. If this injury happened at the start of the tourney I'm sure they wouldn't be here - but with one left. Plus they closed out Argentina without him

Plus we are down Zisis (I know Gasol is a NBA superstar)

Garbajosa is a stud too - but we should have an advantage up front - Big Sofo and Papadopoulos outplayed the US

:gr: :gr:

One USA reporter (I believe it was one of those SI luminaries) was annoyed that the Greek reporters cheered so loudly and jumped up and down. 'Objective journalism at its best', he noted sarcastically.

He also commented that the reporters kissed the Greek players, and he took the trouble to specify in parentheses 'on the cheek'.

:rolleyes:

Another SI guy to his credit, suggested that NBA boss David Stern stop calling the league champs 'world champs'. Good point!

SI is an AMERICAN magazine that pretends to cover the world

They care about the Tour de France or Olympics when their juiced athletes win a medal

Objectively they failed to mention the Greeks as a TOP 8 team in their preview to the games. Their world coverage was based on names they recognized from the NBA or from past Olympics.

Lithuania is their favourite because the Greatful Dead sponsored them in th 1990s. No kidding. To put the effort into researching these games would be much too much to ask.

Their reporting about the last game is centered on excuses (Sofo's moving picks the Greek media) not on how Greece won the game (The US lost it according to them)

Anyway - at least the players were classy - Battier had good things to say and speaking of Sofo :

"We knew he was good," Chris Bosh said, "but we didn't know he was that good."

I was listening to the ESPN pundits on Friday, while trying to set up the DVD recorder, and they were waxing on end on how the US has the best players in the world and that the Greek victory was more luck than anything else. See, arrogance still will not allow them to accept the obvious, that team work and intelligence wins over raw talent. And I'm glad they refuse get it because it gives us an opportunity to continue beating them.

Best of luck tomorrow mornig to Hellas. I am so proud of the maturity of our players. Class team all around :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Greece is now favored by 2 points. Turkey lost to France WITHOUT Tony Parker.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6090101815.html

Press conference:

http://www.nba.com/news/usalosstogreece_060901.html

Coach K and Anthony praised Greece

Coach K:

"Obviously the Greek team did an amazing job," U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

"It's not surprising. We knew that they had great heart and togetherness. They deserved it."

Anthony:

"I have to take my hat of to them (Greece) after coming come from down 10 in the second quarter and playing so hard down the stretch," said Carmelo Anthony, who scored 27 points for the U.S., including three three-pointers."

Brand:

"The Greek team is a great team," Los Angeles Clippers forward Elton Brand said. "If they played in the NBA or whatever theyd be a good team."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hard fight

Posted Image

American fan :D

Posted Image

Edited by plato-ny

Screw the Bronze, I want some GOLD!!!

:gr:

I stand by my quote. Anything less than gold will be a failure. We are the best.

Let's do it all the way re ga*oto!!!! :gr: :gr: :gr:

Bluestriker, this team has no "failure" in it. As they've played so far they've proven time and again the are a world class team, and they should win today, but remember some times the ball bounces against you. Support your team with your whole heart and hope they be crowned "world champs" :gr:

i just hope we dont get too cocky.....the commentators, press are acting like complete jackasses as if we already won.......i ###### hate that...Spain is a hard game. Were not going to walk through. Also those Ert commentators - im so glad i didnt see the game live.... i would be cursing them out so badly...were up by 6 with 40 seconds (thats 2 simple 3 pointers) and they are talking crap Greece has won, its over...then we miss free throws and get dangerously close to another 3....

anywyas ill be off to go watch ti........DE STAMATW NA TRAGOYDW POTE!!!

i just hope we dont get too cocky.....the commentators, press are acting like complete jackasses as if we already won.......i ###### hate that...Spain is a hard game. Were not going to walk through.  Also those Ert commentators - im so glad i didnt see the game live.... i would be cursing them out so badly...were up by 6 with 40 seconds (thats 2 simple 3 pointers) and they are talking crap Greece has won, its over...then we miss free throws and get dangerously close to another 3....

anywyas ill be off to go watch ti........DE STAMATW NA TRAGOYDW POTE!!!

As a Greek, and I hate to admit this, at times we display a complete lack of class! Extreme highs/lows are abound but this team/coach, I believe, is steady professionalism and always but always with clarity of mind. And that my friends is something to be proud of!

I hope we lift it today :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Edited by gcp

FIBA WORLD RANKINGS AS OF SEPTEMBER 3

1. United States 832.2

2. Argentina 720.0

3. Spain 619.0

4. Serbia 508.0 :blink:

5. Lithuania 460.0

6. Greece 429.0 :huh:

7. Italy 418.0

8. France 343.0

9. Germany 282.0

10. Australia 279.0

11. China 262.0

12. New Zealand 228.0

13. Puerto Rico 217.6

14. Angola 206.0

15. Canada 196.0

16. Turkey 194.0

17. Brazil 168.0

18. Russia 162.0

19. Croatia 125.0

20. Slovenia 121.0

Why in the world is Serbia in 4th place? What have they done after there World title in 2002? They are going downhill since then for the past 3 years. And why is Greece in 6th? They should be 4th place IMO after there improbable run at the championship finals.

Edited by dark_horse