Phantis Forums

Another defeat

ukchris

Chris - Panionios has always been a yo-yo team, bursts of semi-success (the odd cup win, qualifying for the UEFA cup etc), seasons of mediocrity and the odd relegation.

Most of it is based on finances - the club smply dont get the crowds that could buy long term success. We breed a few youngsters, mix them with some seasoned pros and when we do well, the young guys are picked off. Greece's best strikers over the years always started at Panionios - people like Thomas Mavros and Dimitris Saravakos.

Spookily, I support Leeds here in the UK and whenever the Whites are doing well, the Panthers seem to be doing s%$#! and vice versa.

I hear what you're saying - but they're falling below plenty of teams who get crowds that are just as small, or smaller. And presumably we get some money for these youngsters we breed.

I guess losing the keeper to Fulham didn't help, but we've still got players like Breska and a team that isn't vastly different to the one that beat Udinese last season. I don't expect us to win the league, but I thought we'd steer clear of relegation.

Oh well. Here's hoping for a change in fortunes. And soon!

at least we might progress to the semis of the greek cup - where we'd prob come up against AEK unless someone else giant kills em!

ROUND 4

Larisa - Apollon Kalamaria

Thrasivoulos - Olympiakos

AEK - Ethnikos Piraeus

Ethnikos Asteras - Panionios

Ionikos Nikaias - Niki Volos

Agrotikos Asteras - Ergotelis

Skoda Xanthi - Panahaiki 2005

Akratitos Ano Liosia - Aigaleo

In this round there is a single game played, with the winner advancing to the quarterfinals. In case the game ends in a tie, there will be a second game, which will be played at the visitor's home grounds. If the second game also ends in a tie, overtime will played. If the overtime ends in a tie as well, the winner will be decided in a penalty shootout.

The games of Round 4 will be played on December 20, 21, 22, 2005.

QUARTERFINAL

winner Larisa/Apollon Kalamaria - winner Akratitos Ano Liosia/Aigaleo

winner AEK/Ethnikos Piraeus - winner Ionikos Nikaias/Niki Volos

winner Agrotikos Asteras/Ergotelis - winner Ethnikos Asteras - Panionios

winner Thrasivoulos/Olympiakos - Skoda Xanthi/Panahaiki 2005

The first quarterfinal games will be playd on January 24-26, 2006 and the return legs on February 7-9, 2006.

SEMIFINAL

winner AEK/Ethnikos Piraeus/IonikosNikaias/Niki Volos - winner Agrotikos Asteras/Ergotelis/Ethnikos Asteras/Panionios

winner Larisa/Apollon Kalamaria/Akratitos Ano Liosia/Aigaleo - winner Thrasivoulos/Olympiakos/Skoda Xanthi/Panahaiki 2005

The first semifinal games will be played on March 21-22, 2006 and the return legs on April 21-22, 2006.

FINAL

The Greek Cup final will be layed on May 6, 2006 at the Pankrytio Stadium in Iraklio

Archived