Phantis Forums

AUSTRALIA V URAGUAY

Im not sure if Guus Hiddink can make a difference.

It would be good if we can lose to Uruguay 1 - 0 and then come back at home but i dont see it happening.

We need to man mark Recoba and play very deffensively in Uraguay

But i still dont think we will make it.... i know one thing but ill be there to support the Green and Gold just like i was at the MCG

what do u guys think do we have a chance?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree it will be very hard for the Aussies to qualify. Generally South Americans nations play well at home no matter who they verse. For me i think they need a 0-0 or 1-1 draw or at worst a 2-1 loss in Uruguay and come back here and win 1-0. Hopefully a packed homebush stadium will see the Aussies win comfortably at home.

recoba isnt the only threat.... fabian estoyanoff and Forlan are there too.....

im supporting the uruguayans to to through....theyre an entertaining team, and i think its awesome a country with 2 million can many talented players....

theres Zalayeta as well :blink:

I think if they can pull a miracle win then ill be there in Germany to support them (shame Greece didnt make it)

But Uraguay came last in their group back in 2002, maybe we can exploit their weaknesses

Anyways alls not lost if we dont qualify, now we can qualify thru Asia which is much more fairer way

(now they have to do something about the US group, biggest bs group in the world only team deserving is Mexico and Costa Rica)

now they have to do something about the US group, biggest bs group in the world only team deserving is Mexico and Costa Rica)

im afraid youre wrong.

USA finished above both so how will u say they dont deserve to be there?

Australia have had the easiest group for years and not done s%$#!.

Samoan Islands 32-0???? there is no competition for Ocenia spot----they damn well dont deserve an automotic playoff for beating teams that would be lucky to get a draw against the fifth division teams i play against!!!!!!

5th place of south america.......ONE tie......not so bad at all. ONE hard game all season???? and they still complain??? try being in europe where the 4th seeded teams are just as good as some of the 2nd seeds........way more difficult. So australia has no right to bitch.

The USA finished TOP in their CONCACAF group and had a good run last World Cup. Dont say they dont deserve to be there, theyre better than Australia and you know its true. Concacaf teams not only do much better than Oceania but actually make the touranament......australia has had so many chances and theyre just not good enough to beat the 5th SA team......its a shame but many good teams dont go to world cup - (Greece, Belgium, Denmark, Israel, Ireland, Slovenia, South Africa, Russia and soon to be Turkey/Switz and the Norwegains probably.....)

im afraid youre wrong.

Samoan Islands 32-0???? there is no competition for Ocenia spot----they damn well dont deserve an automotic playoff for beating teams that would be lucky to get a draw against the fifth division teams i play against!!!!!!

5th place of south america.......ONE tie......not so bad at all. ONE hard game all season???? and they still complain??? try being in europe where the 4th seeded teams are just as good as some of the 2nd seeds........way more difficult. So australia has no right to bitch.

The USA finished TOP in their CONCACAF group and had a good run last World Cup. Dont say they dont deserve to be there, theyre better than Australia and you know its true. Concacaf teams not only do much better than Oceania but actually make the touranament......australia has had so many chances and theyre just not good enough to beat the 5th SA team......its a shame but many good teams dont go to world cup - (Greece, Belgium, Denmark, Israel, Ireland, Slovenia, South Africa, Russia and soon to be Turkey/Switz and the Norwegains probably.....)

cmon man u tell me the US team is not a rip off ill bet any money if Aus v US Aus would win hands down!

All our players play either in Premier League, Serie A, or La Liga. And the players get playing time!

Put Aus in Conacaf region and they would whip everyone except Mexico B)

• 3 weeks later...

okay guys, i may be abit behind from the last reply, but from what ive read, you guys are kind of getting off the topic of aus vs uruguay.

my thoughts: if australia win (which i strongly doubt) or draw or lose by a single goal, then they are going to germany. however, if they lose by 2 or more goals, kiss the plane tickets goodbye.

the likes of forlan (top goal scorer in La Liga last season), recoba, zayaleta etc etc, the aussies will have a tuff task ahead of them. they definetly need to play defensively there, and hopefully it will pay off.

now to add to the arguement about conacaf, the USA do have it easy aswell, but i must admit, not easier than us aussies. we had the likes of who? coconut kickers? and we struggled to beat them in honisares. we never would have gotten direct qualification to the world cup through oceania, and playing the 5th placed south american team isnt that fair either, b/c we never actually played a strong team before that. since we r in asia qualifications now, it doesnt make things easier. now we have to play harder, stronger teams, like japan, sth korea, iran, saudi arabia. they may not sound like big soccer nations, but they've qualified for the past countless world cups.

to conclude, all the best to the green and gold and i hope they make it to germany, need 2 imporve and promote this A-League

Well Forlan is injured :tup:

I got a feeling Guus hiddink will do what Otto Rehaggel :nw: :nw: :nw: :gr: :gr: :gr: did with Greece :gr: :gr: :gr:

Ive got this feeling dont ask me why but even if u compare our team they are team of nobody's compared to the U R GAYS.......

This is football anything can happen and i think Guus can do it look what he did with PSV B)

im afraid youre wrong.

cmon man u tell me the US team is not a rip off ill bet any money if Aus v US Aus would win hands down!

All our players play either in Premier League, Serie A, or La Liga. And the players get playing time!

so lets get this straight............aus could whoop everyone in concacaf....except mexico.....why does USA beat down mexico all the time??????

USA doesnt have stars but they have hard work as a good team effort........TRUST ME its more valuable than having players on big teams... yeah they wont sink as many free kicks or do as many dribbles....but you dont need skills do press and be physical and make chances....which USA can do.....Look at Greece Euro 2004 as a prime example.....Look how bad Spain is with all there superstars cant do a facken thing internationally.

USA is a strong team. They have been very strong since the WC2002 which they could have made the semifinals. They dominated the hell out of Germany and have a clear handball off of a corner...

Uruguay will do it again......

im afraid youre wrong.

so lets get this straight............aus could whoop everyone in concacaf....except mexico.....why does USA beat down mexico all the time??????

USA doesnt have stars but they have hard work as a good team effort........TRUST ME its more valuable than having players on big teams... yeah they wont sink as many free kicks or do as many dribbles....but you dont need skills do press and be physical and make chances....which USA can do.....Look at Greece Euro 2004 as a prime example.....Look how bad Spain is with all there superstars cant do a facken thing internationally.

USA is a strong team. They have been very strong since the WC2002 which they could have made the semifinals. They dominated the hell out of Germany and have a clear handball off of a corner...

Uruguay will do it again......

whatever!

anyways one can dream in football thats why its the beautiful game.

btw how would u feel if ur country has only made the world cup only once since '74 and everytime they had to qualify they had to play a south american country to get in?

see what happens we find out next week cant wait!

hahahahaha this is funny -

AUSTRALIA was last night tightening the psychological thumbscrews on Uruguay, with the Football Federation poised to reject the South Americans' desperate plea to bring next weekend's first play-off forward by four hours.

The original scheduling of the kick-off for 9pm local time, forcing Australia to charter a Qantas jet to get the players back after the game, has blown up in Uruguay's faces after their own pre-booked charter fell through.

Australia will fly out of Montevideo shortly after the game and arrive back in Sydney early on Monday, mirroring Uruguay's original charter plans.

But now, unless the FFA change their mind or another charter jet becomes available, the South Americans will have to take the first available commercial flight.

That is not until the day after the game, flying via Santiago, and will land in Sydney about 7am local time on the Tuesday - just 36 hours before the second play-off.

Last night, as the Socceroos began to assemble in Buenos Aires for five days of preparation and tension levels mounted, sources within the camp said it was almost certain Australia would decline the request.

Uruguay contacted FIFA on Saturday to ask for the switch, a plea that was immediately forwarded to the FFA.

While no formal decision had last night been confirmed, Australian sources said the preceding episodes of diplomatic jousting meant Australia saw no need to help Uruguay out.

From the outset relations have been strained. Uruguay first delayed a decision on the original kick-off time then plumped for 9pm, while Australia refused a request to move the first game forward a day, and FFA chief executive John O'Neill publicly warned Uruguay not to attempt any dirty tricks.

Uruguay was also unhappy with FIFA's choice of European referees and the absence of any Spanish-speaking officials.

On Saturday it was confirmed by FIFA the Belgian officials scheduled to control the second game in Sydney had been switched to another play-off.

They have been replaced in Sydney by a Spanish trio headed by Luis Medina Cantalejo. The 31-year-old is no stranger to controversy - he was the referee who last month sent off David Beckham during the England versus Austria group qualifier.

The fervent atmosphere surrounding the game next weekend was further emphasised when the Australian government warned any of this country's citizens in Montevideo to keep a very low profile.

In an updated travel advisory note, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said: "Australians travelling to Uruguay for the World Cup qualifier on November 13 are advised to be alert to their own security and avoid any disturbances or offensive behaviour, particularly in or near the stadium on match day."

After the first game between the teams in 2001, which Australia had won 1-0 in Melbourne, fans in Uruguay rampaged through the streets, burning cars and wrecking shops.

After the Socceroos' well-documented abusive reception at Montevideo airport, they lost the second leg 3-0 - sending Uruguay to the World Cup and, four years on, providing the tumultuous backdrop to this month's repeat.

The Aussies are lucky Schwarzer was in form. Could have easily have been 2-0 which would have buried the Aussies once and for all. Regardless, they are a chance to get through but Im hoping that Alvaro turns it on in Sydney. Im confident they will be dangerous on the counter-attack and will do enough to get through.

Hopefully Archie Thompson gets a game again...hahahahaha

we did play well against the uraguayans, we all can admit that, but we cant put the ball in the net. dont get me wrong, vidukas free-kick was awsome, but unlucky. the goal was let it b/c of poor marking by vince grella. for the first 20mins, we killed them, but then we strated to wear off, and the uraguayans took over. the second half of the first half was dominated by the south americans. how about viduka hitting the post. this jus shows that we have the potential of getting the ball in, but just need to do so. i think we will go to germany this wednesday night.

Archived