Phantis Forums

France v Cyprus

Guest Protathlitis

Guest Protathlitis

have you not heard of my famous predictions?

did anyone else in here put a considerable amount of money on a Greece - France quater final before euro? ;)

H KYPROS EINAI ELLHNIKH

H KYPROS EINAI ELLHNIKH

H KYPROS EINAI ELLHNIKH

H KYPROS EINAI ELLHNIKH

H KYPROS EINAI ELLHNIKH

H KYPROS EINAI ELLHNIKH :gr:

Cyprus to give it their best shot against France in World Cup tie

October 10, 2005

NICOSIA (AFP) - No-hopers Cyprus have vowed to give it their best shot in Paris when they play France in a must-win final World Cup qualifier on Wednesday where the French might also need to score by a hatful of goals.

"If we play as I know we can, we have nothing to fear," Cyprus coach Angelos Anastassiades told reporters before departing for Paris on Monday.

"We are making good progress and I hope we will take another step forward on Wednesday," he added Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Goal-shy France are looking for a goal-fest in the crunch Group 4 game but the Cypriots -- buoyed by the performance in a 1-0 loss to Ireland -- are not going into the match with defeat on their mind.

"We approach each match as if we are playing our last ever game. Our aim is the best possible performance and the best result," president of Cyprus' national teams Tassos Katsikides told the Politis newspaper.

"We are facing the 1998 World Cup winners and 2000 European champions in their home stadium and that speaks for itself. Our coach has done his homework and our national side are going to France to play good football," he added.

Although nobody expects Cyprus to cause an upset, there is an upbeat mood in the Cypriot camp after one of the best performances in recent times by the national team against Ireland in Nicosia during Saturday's defeat.

Usually a target for fierce media criticism, the Cypriot team won many plaudits for playing more like Brazil than one of world football's small fry.

The outcome could have been different if Yiannakis Okkas had not had his penalty saved by Shay Given after 15 minutes.

However Anastassiades admitted that he gave instructions for Cyprus' top scorer Michalis Constantinou to take the penalty but his order was ignored by Okkas who plays up front with Constantinou for Olympiakos in Greece.

Okkas - arguably man-of-the-man against Ireland - will miss the France game after picking up another yellow card on Saturday.

APOEL Nicosia's Chrysi Michail also picked up an injury during that game and club colleague Stavros Georgiou did not travel either.

With a faltering attack that has only notched up 10 goals in their nine games so far, France needs to get its strikeforce purring if it is to finish above current group leaders Israel and Switzerland.

If the Swiss pull off a shock win in Dublin on Wednesday, France would need to beat Cyprus by more than three goals.

France, who became the first defending world champions to fail to score a goal in the 2002 World Cup, won 2-0 in Cyprus at the beginning of their current World Cup campaign.

Missing first choice strikers Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet, France struggled in the 1-1 draw with Switzerland.

The result left France in third spot in European qualifying Group 4 behind Israel, who lie top but have completed all their games, and Switzerland, who are ahead with a plus-three goal difference.

Almost 25 years ago to the day, France registered their biggest win against Cyprus, smashing seven past them in a World Cup qualifier in Limassol.

However, Cyprus will be looking to repeat one of their best results, a surprise 1-1 draw with France in Nicosia also in a World Cup qualifier in 1988.

cyprus had a good run this qualifying season, yes they lost a bunch of their games and got mopped today by 4, but they kept games close, showed good skills from their young guys and should have had at least a draw vs ireland...........as for today france was on a mission, do or die for them so it was balls to the walls............cyprus will have a good future in soccer , they are getting better and they will be dangerous ...........

Cyprus played well in the qualifiers and should NOT have lost v. Eire at home and v. Switzerland away. They also could have had better luck v. Israel.

As for the France match, the French needed to run up the score in case Switzerland won in Dublin. Should that have happened, goal differential would have won the group.

Cyprus have a future unless, of course,... :rolleyes: ...I mean can you imagine a Greek NT with Konstantinou as striker??? :) (I'm dreaming here)

Cyprus played well in the qualifiers and should NOT have lost v. Eire at home and v. Switzerland away. They also could have had better luck v. Israel.

As for the France match, the French needed to run up the score in case Switzerland won in Dublin. Should that have happened, goal differential would have won the group.

Cyprus have a future unless, of course,... :rolleyes: ...I mean can you imagine a Greek NT with Konstantinou as striker??? :) (I'm dreaming here)

don t forget Krassas too :LOL:

useless, absolutely useless, the defence was a nightmare, i cant believe the omada played so well against ireland three days b4 the played a s%$#! hole of a game, i know its against france, but france arnet exactly the best team in the world no-more. the defence was cut to shreads, cisse could of had two hat-tricks if he werent s%$#!. positive is that cyprus are quite good at counter-attacking, but the defence need to know eachothers game, and also learn what offside means.

Archived