Phantis Forums

Mega Cosmos in Canada- Update!

Hi guys,

As my fellow Canadians on this board probably know by now, Mega Cosmos is no longer available here. It was available through these stupid Odyssey channels but the agreement they had ended at the end of June and Mega apparently wasn't interested in re-signing (good for them). So now it appears they want in directly not through some cheap ethnic channel.

Through their website I found the number for some company called Globestar (I think they are the distributer for Mega, ERT and now Alter- Ziaka you know anything about these guys?). I have called several times trying to get answers but it has been very frustrating to say the least, its like pulling teath to get some answers! The lady who answers the phone doesn't know much so I asked to speak with someone who does. She gave me the name of some guy and for the past few days I have been trying to get a hold of him and every time I call the lady keeps saying call again later or tomorrow or at the end of the week. I am beginning to wonder if this guy actually exists?! What I managed to get out of this lady is that apparently YES Mega will be available here again by September and most likely throught Rogers Cable. She didn't know which provider but on the Canadian TV boards, someone posted that Rogers has signed deals with several channels and one of them is Mega.

I would suggest someone else call these people at Globestar and see what you can find out because I am not getting anywhere. I was hoping to ask about Alter but just said the hell with it because I barely got an answer about Mega.

So with any luck by the fall we will finally have all Greek channels (except Alter) available in Canada. Unfortunately we will still have Odyssey TV. Antenna and ERT are available via OTN 1 & OTN2 and based on new rules from the CRTC, in order to get Mega you will also have to subscribe to OTN1 :tdown:

Bravo HellasHab! Thank you for the information. I know the women in my family will be happy to know that they just may be watching their MEGA soaps again very soon. :D

It's a bummer that you have to purchase Odyssey to receive the other channels, but at least Ert-Sat and MEGA programming will remain untouched. (By the way, it appears that "Odyssey 2" no longer exists. Ert-Sat in Canada is in fact called Ert-Sat and the programming we receive is exactly the same as anywhere else in the world.)

Post Globestar's number if you want. I'll give them a call.

Hey Mike,

I am such a dope :rolleyes: , I can't believe I forgot to put up the telephone number! Here it is: 1-800-306-7526

If you want, ask them about Alter and Alpha, just for the hell of it, to see if they know any thing.

Regarding ERT,

Its still OTN2, they just call it ERT SAT now not OTN2. I know because they still have their programming on their (O Kanadas simera, H allh Ellada), I wish it was purely ERT just like in the U.S. I think they are doing this because OTN2 was supposed to show Mega, its in their license, so they have to apply to the CRTC to change the nature of service. Right now it says 90% of programming must be from Mega.

Also, as has been discussed on these boards, ERT is supposed to go FTA in the fall, so I wonder what will happen then. Suppposedly they may launch two versions- a free one and a pay one. If they still have the pay one then Odyssey will probably keep ERT Sat on OTN2.

I wish I knew when their contract with Antenna is up, I hope they pull out like Mega and apply to broadcast directly also. Then we will see what Odyssey will do without any programming?!

OK...I didn't notice that programs such as O Kanadas Simera were being transplanted on to Ert-Sat. But Ert-Sat looks for the most part to be untouched, which is a lot better than what we're used to.

I'm going to try to contact Globestar as well. For what it's worth, I emailed Rogers asking them if they will be offering More Greek channels such as MEGA Cosmos any time soon. This was their response:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We especially appreciate

your use of our Online Customer Service.

Mega Cosmos is currently not available on our channel line up. We

will be adding new channels to our Digital Choice line up in the

future. Information on any additional channels will be announced prior

to their launch. Please continue to visit 'www.rogers.com/personaltv'

once there select 'multicultural' for access to our growing

multicutural channels.

I have forwarded your suggestion to our programming department for

future consideration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey MikeS,

Did you ever call GLobestar about Mega?? Just curious to see what they told you. Its almost September and I have not heard anything from Rogers or anyone about Mega, so I don't think it is coming by September. I tried calling them again but I still cannot track down this Stavro guy?!

Dksat,

I am not sure what you are talking about here? :huh:

Globecast has the exclusive rights to ERT Sat in the USA ,Canada , Australia, Africa . The OTN never hat the rights to Mega cosmos or any other Greek channel.

Globecast distributes ERT SAT on its satellite to North America and wherever else but I don't know anything about them owning rights to it? As for OTN, how can they be showing Antenna and now ERT if they don't have the broadcast rights?? You need permission from the broadcaster in order to broadcast stuff from their channel, you can't just point a dish to Globecast to get the signal for ERT and then just start showing it?

What I was talking about is that its not the actual channel direct from Greece, its an Odyssey TV channel with PROGRAMMING from ERT and other local programming from OTN. there is a difference between what we get in Canada and what you guys to the south get from Dishnet.

Might want to clarify what your talking about because I don't understand?

Hey MikeS,

Did you ever call GLobestar about Mega?? Just curious to see what they told you. Its almost September and I have not heard anything from Rogers or anyone about Mega, so I don't think it is coming by September. I tried calling them again but I still cannot track down this Stavro guy?!

Funny, you should ask...

I did call only a couple of days ago. A gentleman picked up the phone and when I asked him about MEGA all he said was that they currently trying at the moment. I asked for a timeline but he was unwilling to give me one and repeated the fact that they were trying to bring MEGA to Canada.

So, you're right...it doesn't look like MEGA Cosmos will be available by September, but maybe in a few months...

HellasHap,

Read my post very slow

Globecast has the Exclusive Rights to ERT Sat in the USA , Canada , Australia, Africa

The OTN does not have any rights to any Greek channels in North America

Ho has the rights to the Greek channels in North America

ERT Sat, Globecast

Antenna Sat, Kelly Broadcasting / Dish Network

Mega / Alter, Unitel Hellas

MikeS,

I called Globestar again this morning and finally hooked up with this Stavro guy, he told me pretty much what you were told. He doesn't know when it will be available but they are trying to bring it back and more than likely it will NOT be on Odyssey TV. So that is about the only good news I got, I hope the other channels follow suit and part ways with Odyssey like Mega did but I somehow doubt that will happen. Only in a perfect world and this is not a perfect world. ;)

DKSat,

I think we are getting our wires crossed here. Please re-read what I wrote you. How can Odyssey show anything from any channel from Greece if they don't have permission from the broadcaster (i.e. Mega, ERT, Antenna) to do so????? Can you clarify for me what YOU mean by rights because neither person is understanding what the other is saying- tin kolokithia tha pexoume? :D OTN has an agreement with whomever that allows them to show programming from Antenna, etc.]

Also, if Unitel has the rights to Mega then why does Mega list this Globestar company on their website? Are they owned by Unitel or you are just confused? From what I understand Globestar is the official distributor for Mega, ERT and now Alter in North America.

Since we are talking about rights, why are the people who have the rights to Alpha just sitting on their a$$ and not trying to launch the channel? If they are not interested then sell the rights to someone who cares and make a few bucks in the process. Are these guys just pricks that don't give a crap about anyone. Business is about making money so I don't see how this is good business by sitting doing nothing. Anyone care to explain further? :nono:

HellasHeb,

Globestar is owned by Unitel Hellas ,Globestar is Unitels representatives in North America for Mega and Alter.

If Globestar buts Mega and Alter in Canada they will deal directly with a Canadian DBS system not with OTN.

As for Alpha i know the guy in Chicago personally he waned to but Alpha on Dish Network but they turn hem down.

I hope i made my self clear.

DkSat,

I understand now, sorry I didn't know Globestar was owned by Unitel. So what you are saying is these companies have the right to distribute the channel (s) in North America, Australia, etc

I hope you understand what I was trying to say regarding these channels and OTN?!

Regarding Alpha, I don't understand why Dish would not want to add this channel to their lineup, look how many Greek ones they have? Maybe they don't like dealing with this guy, like here in Canada with Mr. Maniatakos who is shall we say not very friendly. So for how long does this guy have the rights to Alpha, will we ever see this channel? What about Canada, has he tried to get it on the air here??

I see you mention rights to Antenna are owned by Dishnet, I thought they were in charge of that themselves, don't they have an office in NY. I believe they are the only Greek channel that has a regional office in North America. So for Canada, OTN has an agreement with Dishnet to broadcast Antenna?

Since Globecast has the rights to ERT, what are the odds that it may end up on Globecast World TV someday?? I am surprised it is not already on T5 but I guess they own more that one satellite or lease transponders on more than one satellite.

If Globestar buts Mega and Alter in Canada they will deal directly with a Canadian DBS system not with OTN.

I have heard that Rogers Cable will be adding Mega, Bell Expressvu is the only Sat. company that may add it but Rogers apparently is trying to get an exclusive deal like they have with RAI. Well we will see what happens hopefully Mega will be back in Canada before the end of the year. :tup:

Hellas Hab,

Any deal that will happen in the future with Alter, Mega, Antenna with any DBS or Cable company will not be exclusive they do not want to lock them self in they want to manage there owner channels

Globecast contract with ERT Sat runs out in September or October we have to wade to see if ERT Sat will stay with Globecast or go back with Unitel Hellas if they stay with Globecast is a good possibility that we will see ERT Sat FTA on Telstar 5

Regarding Alpha the contract with the guy in Chicago runs out very soon.

RAI is also on Expressvu so I guess it's not exclusive to Rogers.

It was exclusive for a certain period of time, if you noticed it just showed up on Expressvu and Starchoice but it has been on Rogers for quite a while. Rogers had exclusivity because they sponsored RAI thus getting it approved for Canada (Stupid CRTC rules :blink: )

What I mean by exclusive is for like say a month or so, this way Rogers is the only one carrying it initially so that people who really want the channel will sign up with them and won't wait and see if their provider will offer it. All about strategy and good business.

BTW, this is info. I got from another board where I posted about Mega (when it was taken off OTN2) This is what someone who responded said was going on. Rogers was signing deals with various different channels and they would be exclusive to Rogers in the beginning not forever. I don't know if its true or not, I have yet to hear about any of these channels, nothing on the CRTC site.

I thought ERT just signed a deal with Globecast only a few months ago, why is it expiring so soon?? They were on Unitel then switched to Globecast apparently because they were offered a better deal.

That's weird, why would they sign such a short-term deal. ;)

Also no mention yet about the FTA version of ERT SAT and the website is still not launched.

Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...

An update of sorts regarding Mega Cosmos in Canada,

Apparently Mega as well as Alter and Alpha may be available in Canada through Ethnic Channels Group. This is a company that operates various ethnic channels, according to their website they hope to have a total of 30. Right now they have managed to get 6 on the air via Rogers Cable.

Anyway, I called them today and managed to speak with the guy who owns the company and I asked if they have plans to launch any Greek channels and he said yes. When I asked which ones he said 'probably Mega, Alter and Alpha'. Now take this with a grain of salt since we have also heard that Mega may be coming in direct as a foreign service not via a Canadian ethnc channel which is what this would be. I noticed on their site that they initially had plans for 2 Greek channels but they do not yet have a license for them. So if this is true, once they get approval for licenses to operate these channels we may actually see the channels on the air. Now the down side to this is that since they are Canadian channels they will have to have some local content like Odyssey TV does, which sucks IMO :tdown: Those that have OTN will know what I am referrring to as half their schedule is taken up by a local newscast that they replay over and over throughout the day.

In any event, I will keep watch and see if I can learn anything else. For those interested here is the site for Ethnic Channels Group, it is not up to date but the guy told me it should be updated soon?!

http://www.ethnicchannels.com

http://www.ethnicchannels.com/new.htm

Thanks for the update, HellasHab.

With respect to adding Canadian content, I don't mind it as it long as it provides proper coverage of the the Greek communities across Canada and doesn't mess up with the prime programming of the respective Greek network. In fact, I would encourage it. But a putting a dude in front of a camera in a $25 studio to read in Greek what was on CBC news the night before is not what I would call proper Canadian content.

Regarding this new company, how will they add Canadian content to all these channels? Or have the rules changed again?

But a putting a dude in front of a camera in a $25 studio to read in Greek what was on CBC news the night before is not what I would call proper Canadian content.

:tup: :tup: :tup: That's funny, the other day I saw some other guy on that looked like some teeth were missing. They still don't know how to hit a stop and start button. Whenever I watch something they are always cutting it off early. Some of the quality with colour is not good either when they record their programs and show it later. Well what do you expect, hopefully something good can come to Canada

Hey MikeS,

I agree with you about OTN and the high-school level production they got with their shows. I am currently getting a free preview of the 2 channels from Rogers via one of the promotions they got going on. Let me say, I am glad I am not paying for these channels and when the preview ends I will not be paying for them then either. OTN-1 has more CDN content then ERT Sat (thank goodness for that) but they have set it up so that you have to get both channels. ERT on its own is $19.45 while both channels can be had in a package for $19.95, so its not worth it to get just ERT. Antenna, in my opinion anyway, is Garbage! The programming on their is just awful, man how I miss Mega Cosmos. As for the local content, it is also CRAP!! Odyssey has been in existence for 8 years now and the quality of this channel is very poor :tdown: I am sure money may be a factor but if you don't have sufficient capital enabling you to do a proper job then who told you to launch a TV channel?!

I get the Chinese channel here in Scarborough on regular cable not seperate like the rest of the multicultural channels beacuse of the large Chinese population and I must say that they do a much better job (quality wise) with their news show from what I have seen.

As for this company, from what I understand they have their own studio but I am not sure on what content they show and if it sucks like the shows on OTN. I have a feeling that it might be the same thing for all channels so it might not be Greek content for the Greek channels, Russian for the Russian ones, etc. I too hope they will place their shows at appropriate times and not cut off shows from the channel from Greece. I have been watching Odyssey carefully now that I have a preview and I have noticed that they are cutting some of the shows from Antenna. Comparing schedules it seems that they are chopping 1 hour off of Kalimera Elllada and 1/2 hour off of Proinos Kafes. Now I know they need to insert the local stuff but don't cut the show off, find a suitable time to do it.

The CRTC is supposed to be issuing some new rules regarding these Canadian ethnic channels and that is why these channels are being held up. This guy applied for more licenses and I believe some of those are for Greek channels but no decision has been made yet because they have to release the other decision first. Once this decision comes down (if it ever does, its been almost a year now) then we should know if this guy will actually be launching these channels or not.

Mike, would you be interested in giving these guys a call to see what they say to you? I forgot to ask the guy if he actually has an agreement with the 3 channels or if these are the channels he is looking at adding. Here is the number: 416-736-7577 ext. 307 for Slava Levin the owner.

I do not know anything about this new DTH platform the only thing i know is its very hard to bring a ethnic channel in to Canada.

Globe star was trying to bring the Greek channels that are now on Dish network to Canada and they hat no luck

This is not a DTH platform, it is a company like Odyssey that plans to launch various Ethnic channels among them being some Greek ones.

Thanks for the reply, thought you might know something but maybe not. So regarding globestar and their channels, are you talking recently that they tried to bring them to Canada? I don't understand why they don't get Rogers Cable to sponsor the channels and apply to get them on the approved list? I am sure Rogers would do it they have sponsored others and the channel would be able to come in direct not through some ethnic channel. The CRTC changed the rules last December that now allows general entertainment channels like ERT, Mega, Alpha, etc to be approved more easily. Here in the communist north you have to apply to get on an approved channel and once the channel is approved you can then go to distributors to get a deal with them to carry the channel. I guess Globestar/Unitel does not want to go this route but instead come in via an ethnic channel?! :ph34r:

Hopefully then this news about ECG is true and we will see these channels here someday soon.

I don't understand why they don't get Rogers Cable to sponsor the channels and apply to get them on the approved list? I am sure Rogers would do it they have sponsored others and the channel would be able to come in direct not through some ethnic channel. The CRTC changed the rules last December that now allows general entertainment channels like ERT, Mega, Alpha, etc to be approved more easily.

That's right...the Italian community now has 4 networks that I'm 90% sure are directly beamed into Canada the same way MEGA Cosmos is beamed into the US.

HellasHab, I'll call that individual you spoke but our best bet might be to try and contact MEGA itself, although good luck getting a response...

Archived