Phantis Forums
slick13

Giorgos Samaras ‒ Samsunspor

elios. just play in the greek league georgara ti mas kaneis tora

Edited by georgelaz

Hard to imagine that he could't get a deal with a first division Greek club or at least his hometown club OFI Crete who play second division. He is only 32 and one of the biggest names in Greece post-Euro 2004 and would be a great signing for any Greek club from a marketing standpoint. This is surely an issue of money for the most part. Turkish teams pay and he is at the end of his career. Although I do faintly remember reading that he said in an interview that he never wants to play football in Greece due to how corrupt it is.  

Edited by Argy

Samaras remained on the bench on Saturday as they won 3-0 against Gaziantepsor. He played so far on 5 matches, scored zero goals. (Sifakis didnt play at all since the start of the season).

Btw the title should be Giorgos Samaras - Samsunspor.

16 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Btw the title should be Giorgos Samaras - Samsunspor.

You are right, La Mendel, but I have not seen the moderator of "Greek players abroad" around for a while on this forum. I also see a lot of other players without the change in the title.

@all: is there still a mod for this section? If not, shouldn't there be somebody appointed to keep this section updated?   

• Like it 1

Samaras' season as bad as before. He has played 7 games so far, and neither has scored nor has given an assist. Sifakis is a constant benchwarmer. (Cf. the accomplishments of these ex-internationals with the stats of great Andreas Tatos [Elazigspor]: 11 games, 3 goals, 2 assists.)

I never understood why Tatos never played for the national team he is such a good player. Especially in his time with Aris in the superleague. 

• Like it 1

Well both Samaras and Sifakis got the start today .  Samaras got a yellow in the 76th.  Cant believe the downward spiral this guy took after the World Cup.

• Like it 1

On 12/15/2017 at 2:14 PM, Dean97 said:

I never understood why Tatos never played for the national team he is such a good player. Especially in his time with Aris in the superleague. 

wow I forgot about aris as a club. they gotta get back in the superleague. they were pretty good in the 2000s

He scored at last on 24 December versus Ümraniyespor but they lost 4-2 (his goal from 1:25, he took advantage of the keepers bad positioning). Sifakis got the start too, the second goal he conceded was a joke.

He gave a nice assist today against Manisaspor (one opponent lied on the pitch grabbing his ankle, but he couldnt see him). So far he has one goal and one assist in 12 games for the club. On the video see from 2:11:

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

He looked like his old self in that game. Who knows what could happen if he keeps up this form.

• Like it 1

The video I had linked above has become unavailable (I cannot edit the post any more so I cant delete it). I dont want that anybody miss his assist. It is so rare nowadays that he scores or assists a teammate. :\

Edited by La Mendel
grammar fault
  • Like it 1

I love the way he plays when he's in form. 

So nimble and can create something out of nothing.

He should have still been playing for the NT at least for this coming campaign. Very unfortunate that his career dropped off so prematurely. 

• Like it 1

Aaand the new video has become unavailable as well. Sorry for linking all these contents that are constantly fading away.

He scored again on 11 March against Gaziantepspor but eventually they lost the game. See his goal from 1:29:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2Df4rtQ7Q

Last week his team finished 0-0 against Boluspor. Samaras played again 90 minutes but Sifakis was benched after he had made a mess of two crosses against Gaziantepspor and they conceded two goals.

• Like it 1

Samsunspor finished 16th out of 18 teams in the Turkish 1. Lig and they got thus relegated. He was released at the end of the season (alongside Sifakis). His performance: 25 games, 2 goals, 2 assists. Very mediocre.

Let’s see if we see him in Greece next season. 

Not great stats for a forward... Samy really let his hair down after Brazil ‘14

He was injured for a long time. After that, he has not been the same. This is clear.

His fitness level was always low I guess. This backfires after a while, even if you are by nature as big and strong as a horse. Samaras has been like this. Kyrgiakos too. Many African players are the same (or are they age cheats? Ifeanyi Udeze who played for PAOK, for example. Retired at 28 lol. Odiah, Taiwo, Onazi, Lukman Haruna, Yussuf, Obasi, Kaita, Martins etc. etc.)

Look at Ibrahimovic: he has always been as big as a mountain but he always worked on himself physically and he scored many times in EPL and Ligue 1 well over 30! Samaras couldnt score more than FOUR times in the last four years if we count league games only. With more than sixty games under his belt. In mediocre championships like LaLiga2, 1. Lig, US Second League (dont know its name), Saudi Professional League (a league where Tziolis is a regular starter).

These guys usually go to the dogs when they are over 29. Even great stars like Shevchenko, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Owen, to a lesser extent Kaka and F Torres, then Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Adriano, Mendieta, Kily González, Guardiola etc. etc. can go that way. Its not enough that youre talented. You can be even a great genius like Ronaldinho, if your physical form is average, your health and form will rapidly deteriorate over the age of 30. Supporters and journalists wont understand what happened. Why did the form of Torres/Shevchenko drop in a spectacular way after they had signed for Chelsea? Surely because of the club. ROTFL. Not because they were about 29 AND their physical form was very average. Oh no. They couldnt live only on their outstanding talents.

Cristiano Ronaldo, however, is in outstanding form (physically) thats why he is so prolific at the highest level at the age of 33. Same goes for players like Lampard, Scholes, Giggs, Drogba, Van der Sar (okay he was a keeper), to a lesser extent David Villa, many Brazil players like Ze Roberto who retired at 42 etc. etc.

The Greek versions of these footballers: Karagounis and Vyntra (outstanding physical state well over the age of 30, they have been never seriously injured etc.) vs. Kyrgiakos and Samaras (they fell off the radar after the age of 29).

To be fair, Kyrgiakos was at Liverpool until almost 31 and then played at Wolfsburg for a couple of years, but yes he did drop off prematurely. He was fantastic in England though.