Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

• 1 month later...
  • Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ Samsunspor

The video I had linked above has become unavailable (I cannot edit the post any more so I cant delete it). I dont want that anybody miss his assist. It is so rare nowadays that he scores or assists a teammate. :\

Edited by La Mendel
grammar fault
  • Like it 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

He was injured for a long time. After that, he has not been the same. This is clear.

His fitness level was always low I guess. This backfires after a while, even if you are by nature as big and strong as a horse. Samaras has been like this. Kyrgiakos too. Many African players are the same (or are they age cheats? Ifeanyi Udeze who played for PAOK, for example. Retired at 28 lol. Odiah, Taiwo, Onazi, Lukman Haruna, Yussuf, Obasi, Kaita, Martins etc. etc.)

Look at Ibrahimovic: he has always been as big as a mountain but he always worked on himself physically and he scored many times in EPL and Ligue 1 well over 30! Samaras couldnt score more than FOUR times in the last four years if we count league games only. With more than sixty games under his belt. In mediocre championships like LaLiga2, 1. Lig, US Second League (dont know its name), Saudi Professional League (a league where Tziolis is a regular starter).

These guys usually go to the dogs when they are over 29. Even great stars like Shevchenko, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Owen, to a lesser extent Kaka and F Torres, then Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Adriano, Mendieta, Kily González, Guardiola etc. etc. can go that way. Its not enough that youre talented. You can be even a great genius like Ronaldinho, if your physical form is average, your health and form will rapidly deteriorate over the age of 30. Supporters and journalists wont understand what happened. Why did the form of Torres/Shevchenko drop in a spectacular way after they had signed for Chelsea? Surely because of the club. ROTFL. Not because they were about 29 AND their physical form was very average. Oh no. They couldnt live only on their outstanding talents.

Cristiano Ronaldo, however, is in outstanding form (physically) thats why he is so prolific at the highest level at the age of 33. Same goes for players like Lampard, Scholes, Giggs, Drogba, Van der Sar (okay he was a keeper), to a lesser extent David Villa, many Brazil players like Ze Roberto who retired at 42 etc. etc.

The Greek versions of these footballers: Karagounis and Vyntra (outstanding physical state well over the age of 30, they have been never seriously injured etc.) vs. Kyrgiakos and Samaras (they fell off the radar after the age of 29).

To be fair, Kyrgiakos was at Liverpool until almost 31 and then played at Wolfsburg for a couple of years, but yes he did drop off prematurely. He was fantastic in England though.

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (free agent)
  • 1 month later...

On Friday Samaras announced his retirement from football. I enjoyed watching him play for the NT. Had that memorable assist to Salpi for the goal that beat the Ukraine in the 2010 World Cup playoff and the penalty kick goal he scored vs Ivory Coast in the 2014 World Cup. Efharisto and best of luck Giorgos!

Was a very important player for the Ethniki for many years. As you say ellada, he had a hand in many historic moments for the ethniki. Also the equaliser v Germany in Euro 2012 which sent us into delirium for 5-6 minutes. 

My favourite player for a long time, it's a shame his career went downhill post World Cup '14. I'll always have fond memories of him though, bravo re Sam and congratulations on your career. 

• Like it 4

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

He was a big part of the NT, playing in huge games, scoring and setting up monumental goals. Shame how early and suddenly his career nosedived, but that does not belittle his accomplishments. In my opinion, definitely in Greece's post-2004 XI.

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, Argy said:

He was a big part of the NT, playing in huge games, scoring and setting up monumental goals. Shame how early and suddenly his career nosedived, but that does not belittle his accomplishments. In my opinion, definitely in Greece's post-2004 XI.

Definitely, he was involved in so many big games for the NT after our Euro triumph.

13 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Definitely, he was involved in so many big games for the NT after our Euro triumph.

Samaras moments that will live forever:

Assist to Amanatidis winning goal vs Turkey in revenge match to win the group and qualify for Euro 2008

Winning goal vs Croatia in Euro 2012 qualifier to win the group 

Goal vs Germany in Euro 2012 quarter finals

Winning goal from the spot in stoppage time vs Ivory Coast in World Cup 2014 to send Greece to round of 16

Setting up Salpingidis goal in second leg of World Cup 2010 playoff vs Ukraine to qualify for the final tournament. (Thanks Alphonse)

Did I forget anything?

• Like it 3

14 hours ago, Argy said:

Samaras moments that will live forever:

Assist to Amanatidis winning goal vs Turkey in revenge match to win the group and qualify for Euro 2008

Winning goal vs Croatia in Euro 2012 qualifier to win the group 

Goal vs Germany in Euro 2012 quarter finals

Winning goal from the spot in stoppage time vs Ivory Coast in World Cup 2014 to send Greece to round of 16

Setting up Salpingidis goal in second leg of World Cup 2010 playoff vs Ukraine to qualify for the final tournament. (Thanks Alphonse)

Did I forget anything?

Scored goals in his for 2 games for the nt I believe, in a random friendlies tourney prior to the euro 08 qualifying. More of a personal achievement I guess but still pretty amazing. Was a sign of things to come lol

• Like it 1

Samaras was key for our midfield woes because he was a quasi LM/St and therefore could create something from nothing. He had flashes of world class brilliance. Now that Manchester City is an elite club his Resume looks even more impressive haha

• Like it 1

• Argy locked this topic