Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

If reports are to be beloved Panionios expressed interest. This seems like a reasonable move given the fact that he doesn't have a club and hasn't played much since the World Cup.

http://www.contra.gr/Columns/contra-epithesi/panionios/o-paniwnios-milhse-me-samara.3852959.html

Oddly salary demands were reported to be the barrier. This (along with fitness concerns) were also reportedly issues for an Australian club as well as the NY Cosmos. If any of this is true, one wonders what his representation Is telling him he's worth!

• 3 weeks later...

^not anymore since they found out that he still has back problems.

"United has scratched Georgios Samaras off its wish list because of the Greek attacker?s back problems. It?s unclear what other players in Europe and Latin America remain in the mix. The club was not able to reach a loan deal with Argentine club Estudiantes for midfielder Leonardo Gil."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2016/02/04/d-c-united-plans-to-file-tampering-charges-against-orlando-city/

• 1 month later...

Is the NASL even professional? If you had told me 2 years ago that Samaras would be playing in Oklahoma I would have laughed my head off, best case scenario is he gets plenty of playing time and does well and maybe picks up an MLS contract during the year.

I can't see any Ethniki in his future. NASL is just too low a level to be up for Ethniki consideration. I think the guy is just happy to play professionally after such a long layoff - there likely isn't much money and certainly no prestige in this move. In a way it's more admirable than going to China or Saudi Arabia, and a bit out of the character we've concocted.

As for the Ethniki, I wish some of our better players played in leagues where they get playing time. I'm sure Italy is nice (Kone, Lazaros and Tachtsidis) with access to lots of tatto artists (Kone), but you are getting garbage minutes. I don't know how someone at their age can be happy. We can see it's bad for the Ethniki. I admire the guys in Belgium or 2 Bundesliga more. Those guys are actually playing every game and fit.

at his current fitness level and lack of form  he would embarrass himself at a club like Atromitos....

it's a long season.....and given his profile nowhere to hide in GSL....

Let's remember at his best (Celtic days) he was  at times very lethargic and insipid against opposition that at times was B ethniki level.....and Celtic were 2-3 levels ahead of..

his ability to work hard  on the pitch against these poor teams at times was questionable..

As I said his only hope is to get himself fit firstly and then impress enough to get signed up by an MLS club as you would assume they would be the only ones watching lol. Lots of MLS players featured at the last World Cup but he would have to be a standout even in that league to be considered for the ethniki again.

The national team is the last thing on Georgios Samaras mind at the moment. First of all staying fit & healthy to actually be able to play at his full potential should be his number one priority. Second is his passion & enjoyment of the game in order to give 100%. Everything else will fall into place with his quality if his body & mind is all good.

Edited by Greekaroos
  • Like it 2

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic