Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

Hey guys ,I'm new to the forums though I've been reading for a while now. Anyways Samaras scored his first goal for rayo okc vs NY cosmos in a 3-0

Here's the highlights vid. Samaras gets the ball at about 1:45

He never made the breakthrough his talent suggested -- and yes it seems like fitness and drive were an issue -- but a good run at Celtic and some fantastic moments for his country will give him a career he can look back on with pride. Thank you for the memories, George.

he had one of the best careers for greek players, let's be real.

I want him to go to MLS so I can see him here and play him in fifa. he should play in Toronto, Chicago, MTL, New York where all the Greeks are at.

I was watching MLS today, it's getting better every year. It has a similar style to EPL.

Edited by georgelaz

Samaras gave everything to the NT. He's a very introverted guy so is easily misunderstood (Messi is the same way).

He scores big goals. Vs. Germany, Croatia, Ivory Coast, Barcelona.

And assists big goals too.

One of the top Greek players for sure. Up there with Sokratis, Karagounis, Zagorakis.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

Samaras is the most notorious Greek footballer on this forum at least. 78 pages of forum discussion! second place isn't even close!

Possibly the most controversial greek footballer as well.

Debates; Abortion, Gun Laws, Healthcare, Military, Education, and Samaras. lol XD :P

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 2

The last 2 pages of this thread is hilarious.

I recall he was about to sign with Sampdoria in 2015, but failed the medical, due to a back problem.

Pretty hard to top what he's achieved with NT. Two Euro's and two WCs between 2008-14.

Edited by kbxk508

He is a clinical finisher that can shoot with both feet which I really like.

hard to compare Samars to Mitroglou. Mr. Mykonos is a pure striker ala Berbatov. Whereas Samaras is kinda a hybrid striker / winger.

As a striker i'd rate Mitroglou. For the NT though Samaras has been way more clinical. As much as I love Mitroglou. Hopefully with Fortounis he can light up so goals for us world cup.

Samaras was a key contributor to the ethniki's success he worked hard and was passionate, also the most frustrating player to watch and that's where the inconsistency comes in. I don't know if that because I expect better of him or that he is not that good. Bottom line is that he was a good player and I respect what he has done for our national team. To say he is the best Greek player is not true. The players that in my opinion gave more to the National Team were Salpingidis, Karagounis. Other players such as Sokratis, Torosidis, Lyberopoulos, Gekas and others. The players that contributed a lot more were the players in Euro 04. Until we win a World Cup all of those players will be the heroes.

Edited by Dean97

Samaras and Mitro are different types of forwards. Mitroglou is a box striker, you can't put him on the wing for example. Samara when he was fit would be more valuable player to the Ethniki than Mitroglou I feel, for the Ethniki however. Samara can create offence for himself and others. Mitroglou is a better finisher and a better striker, but he needs service, which the Ethniki is lacking and has traditionally lacked. Mitroglou's value as a club player is head and shoulders above Samaras, but for the Ethiniki, if for some reason you had to chose one or the other (in their prime) I might want to go with Samara. If I'm looking for a poacher, it's not even a question Mitro hands down.

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic