Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

Who cares? Maybe people can start talking about his "potential" at the age of 32 after he's had a chance to kick a ball. Which I'm still skeptical will ever happen again. I think he'll be cut in a few months, personally.

Lympe was always quality imo. Even in his later years he delivered. Samaras has been inactive for so long and Lympe I don't think ever was. Lympe aged really well as a player and never really looked out of his depth as far as I remember. Samaras might have a couple years left in the tank, but realistically it will be a crazy uphill battle for him to get anywhere near the level he once was I think. I do wish him the best though and I would be very pleased if he proved me wrong.

• Like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys!! I met samaras after his match in Miami last night. Very quiet, polite guy but friendly.

Unfortunately he didn't get off the bench. His team won 3-2. The quality of play was very uneven but there were some excellent moments. More skill on display than I expected. Many of the players have spent time in MLS. Also on samaras' team was Derek boateng. Any PAO fans remember him?

Also, the coach of Miami is Nesta. Crazy to see him coaching at this level. His tactics were off from the get-go and Rayo went up 2-0 on counter attacks despite getting dominated. He made a first-half sub that changed the game and they tied it 2-2. But Rayo won a soft penalty at the death to clinch it.

• Like it 1

How a 31-year-old player who has fairly recently scored goals in the Champions League, Euro and World Cup, finds himself on the bench of a 2nd division American club is beyond comprehension.

Edited by Argy

If we suddenly starts dominating and moves up to the MLS (not improbable) I can see him come back to the NT.

Dellas was thought to be finished by doing to Cyprus, but when he returned to AEK he also returned to the NT.

He's actually playing and we're still talking about him. Unlike Salpingidis who basically disappeared after he couldn't get a PAOK contract.

I feel sorry for Rayo OKC. They are probably thinking, wtf?

I think Rayo knew exactly what they were getting... A recognizable name signing who is injured and out of shape but if fit could make an impact. The upside on the field could be great, but the real point was to sign someone with a pedigree (Man City, Celtic two WCs) that most soccer fans have heard of.

• 5 weeks later...

Watched the 2nd half of the game. Samaras came on in the 67th minute, I cant believe he does not start. He had some good touches and some sloppy passes. This league is crappy to watch he has to get back to playing in Europe, I hope he can get his career back on track.

I watched the same on NASL.com Not impressive at all. He should just go to OFI and work on whatever salary they give him. If he is finished, working to get OFI back into the Super League is more admirable than slogging it through the NASL as a sub.

• Like it 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic