Phantis Forums

HOUSTON ROCKETS

I just had to say it when they beat denver by around 30 pts.

critics still think they don't have what it takes and might loose during the begining

but thats not the case even if they're not playing with Howard

I hope they can win another championships

the last ones were in 94 95 with Hakeem Olajuwon Clyde Drexler and Charles Barkely, i was too young to remember those moments *sigh*

I just had to say it when they beat denver by around 30 pts.

critics still think they don't have what it takes and might loose during the begining

but thats not the case even if they're not playing with Howard

I hope they can win another championships

the last ones were in 94 95 with Hakeem Olajuwon Clyde Drexler and Charles Barkely, i was too young to remember those moments *sigh*

that 94 rockets team was lucky v my knicks

off course these dayz my knicks are garbage

but the team across the river is pretty cool to watch in the nets

You make a good point Olympiakosboy were playing seattle today(win) and then dallas in the playoffs on saturday, but with the way the team is playing i say they'll have a good chance

tracy mcgrady is one of the best players besides tim duncan

im sure mcgrady give dirk nowitzki a run for his money

94 might have been luck but 95 against the magic was pure olajuwon :tup: swept 4 games to 0 :box:

I just saw this off the Houston Chronicle

April 19, 2005, 11:44PM

Mavs pile on the praise for Rockets

Johnson's words make it hard to tell who's higher seed

By FRAN BLINEBURY

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE STANDINGS

Team W L PCT GB

San Antonio 59 22 .728 ---

Dallas 57 24 .704 2

Houston 50 31 .617 9

Memphis 45 36 .556 14

New Orleans 18 63 .222 41

As of Apr 19 2005 10:33 p.m. CT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMING UP

Wednesday:

vs. Seattle, 7:30 p.m.

TV/Radio:

Listings; KILT (610 AM)

DALLAS - It's a good thing it's an all-Texas series. Because the way the Rockets and Dallas Mavericks already are shoveling stuff around, boots likely will be a necessary part of the wardrobe.

Call it the Cotton-Eyed Joe Series.

"They've got a lot of good things going for them," said Dallas coach Avery Johnson. "Nobody's even picked us to win this series. So I guess we're going in there as an underdog, no matter what our seeding is. They've had an awful good year. We think we've had a pretty good year. I think it's going to be a hard-fought battle.

"Overall, I think it's going to be a terrific series. It's good for the state of Texas. It's good for basketball. We've got a lot of terrific players on both teams. I think everybody's interested and awaiting the matchup."

Everybody, it seems, except Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy and Johnson. After the Rockets' boss already had labeled the fourth-seeded Mavs as a legitimate contender to win the NBA championship, Johnson turned it right around and described the fifth-seeded Rockets as the second coming of Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls.

Best in the West?

"As a coach, everything concerns you," Johnson said. "It's not one particular thing. Anytime a team has (Tracy) McGrady and Yao (Ming), it's a big concern. Those guys can go for big numbers.

"They did a good job of adding (Jon) Barry and (David) Wesley to the team and Mike James. So they've got some guys with experience. Mike James won a championship last year. Coach Van Gundy's coached in the (NBA) Finals before. So they got a lot of good stuff going for them.

"(The Rockets) are as good as any team in the West. They have a lot of experience, moreso than us in some areas. I don't know about (us) winning a title. We're playing them in the first round. I don't know about comparing us to San Antonio. Defensively, a lot of the stuff that Houston is doing, I don't even know if we're on that level yet."

The Mavs' Jerry Stackhouse, who is a candidate for the Sixth Man of the Year Award, said there is no way Dallas will look past its first-round challenge from the Rockets.

"They are definitely as formidable as it gets in the NBA playoffs this year," he said. "The 4-5 (seeds) in the West is a tough series. We've got our hands full."

Even Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who likes the changes and improvements his own club has made this season, kept pouring on the praise for the Rockets.

"They're different," Cuban said. "They're built around Tracy and Yao and then there's Dikembe (Mutombo) off the bench. He's been amazing, playing like he's only 41 years old.

"Mike James and (Bob) Sura and Wesley all can shot lights out and Scotty Padgett, too. So they have four guys whose specialty is to shoot 3-pointers. They use Tracy to draw attention. They use Yao to go inside out. We've really got to be able to step up and stay home and be able to play our guys one-on-one. That will be a test for our defense. We've got to keep them off the 3-point line, because that's where they do their damage."

One tough-minded team

The Rockets have become, according to Johnson, a reflection of Van Gundy.

"I think historically all of his teams have been tough-minded, physical defenders," he said. "You have guys like Mutombo. McGrady has improved. Wesley has historically been a tough defender. Mike James is a terrific defender and tough-minded. They have a lot of things going for them."

Archived