Phantis Forums

The Future of Katsouranis

CH-Thrylos

There are a lot of possibiliteis and rumors going around as to what is going on w/ Katsourani. I think the main thing to remember here is that alot of what happens depends on AEK's position at the end of the year (CL or not) as well as Katsouranis' willingness to go to Porto.

It would be a tremendous loss, but if he wants to play outside of Greece and we get good money & players in return (like the rumors say) I don't think there is any way we can keep him. Demi told us at the start of the season that Katsourani is a luxury for AEK and if he wanted to go to a European he would not stand in his way.

Lets wait and see and hope we aren't worse off when it is all said and done.

santos is saying that there is an agreement with the people of porto that katsouranis would be sold to them. because of this agreement it was possible to bring in asunsao and alves in the first place. if porto is still interested in katsouranis and if he also wants to go there he will most probably leave in summer.

Yes i also heard Juve are interested in him for next season, here's the story from goal.com:

The AEK player, Kostas Katsouranis, has been linked with a move to the Bianconeri.

The Champions League match at Anfield highlighted Juventus’ lack of depth in the midfield department, where even the usually consistent Emerson looked extremely tired and out of form.

The Old Lady’s scouts have already individuated the right player to bolster the centre half for next season: the current European Champion Katsouranis who made an excellent impression during last year’s Euro 2004.

The 25-year-old midfielder was close to a move to Porto, Sampdoria and Benfica but all deals fell through. His current contract with AEK expires next year, therefore the Greek side will try to sell him this summer so to avoid losing him on a free transfer in 2006.

That (Juventus) would be a sweet move for him. Imagine the exposure and play he would be getting there with that team. A great move by all accounts. As long as he would get to play though. I would hate for him to go there and get the shaft as Karagounis has had done to him.

I'm glad to hear/read that AEK have been realistic when it comes to Katsouranis. Right from the get go they've been upfront with the whole situation with him and the possibilities they might encounter for his services. They haven't moaned or twisted their stories from one day to the next in order to sell papers or fuel speculation. It's credit to Demi and the type of admin he's running.

And furthermore, because they are friends and Demi knows how it was wanting to taste soccer outside of Greece ... there is a sense of understanding.

I hope Kats gets to go out and play for a big team (though I would rather he stay).

i think demi shouldnt let him go right now. aek is on a very good way and for me this team could be able to start dominating the league with a few good transfers and could also make an impact in europe. santos has made a very good job and katsouranis would be difficult to replace.

• 5 weeks later...

very good news for your team indeed. werent we supposed to be one of the teams that are interested in him in the past? we should have tried harder to convince him to come to osfp back then. he is a player that could help every top team in greece.

AEK today made their first and perhaps greatest transfer for this summer. No, it’s not a big name from another country, or even some new player. The man in question is Kostas Katsouranis, who after a meeting on Tuesday with Demis Nikolaidis made an initial agreement to renew his contract with AEK until 2008. In this way, the European champion confirmed his affection for the team, which this year (and not only this) served in the best way, as he was one of the best and most stable players in the team. AEK’s captain’s current contract would have ended in summer 2007. With the new three-year contract, the player will stay with the team until summer 2008. As for the financial side of the contract, sources speak of between 400,000 and 500,000 euros per annum.

Great news for us as Katsouranis is one of the best (if not the best) greek player playing in A' Ethniki this year. However, the fact that he signed for an extra year doesn't mean that AEK won't sell him if a proper offer comes through. If smaller teams ask i dont see him leaving, or else he already would have done so w/ Porto. But I still think that if a big team like Juve asks for him we will sell him, we will just get more money now than before. We'll have to wait and see what happens over the summer.

yeah, the point was to keep the rights, because really if he continues to tear it up into next season (assuming he is not bought by then) he will be a HUGE transfer... and AEK gets some money to throw in the bank... though for the amount of money we will be paying him, I hardly believe that we will find someone of his caliber for that price anywhere else...

this is a win win situation for AEK

they give there captain a 3 year deal for sticking with the club but even if Katousranis is thought after by bigger clubs AEK will make a nice profit

the more years AEK more money

i mean if he doesn't transfer he gets to coutinue wut he has built which is the winning foundation for AEK along with Demis and Santos

Archived