Phantis Forums

The end of Greek Ice Hockey?

Ziaka

The web site of the Greek Ice Hockey national team has been suspended following a political move by the current Nea Dimokratia government, which through the leadership of Orfanos and Ministry of Sports split the Ice Sports federation into four federations in order so they could dominate the upcoming elections in the Greek Olympic Commitee.

Here is the announcement by Dimitris Kalyvas, the captain of the Greek Ice Hockey national team:

This website is suspended from today because unfortunately in Greece, athletics and politics... do mix!

Yesterday's article in ELEYTHEROTYPIA newspaper stating that the Ministry of Sports divided the Ice Sports Federation in 4 separate Federations for political reasons does not allow me to fight for the progress of Greek Ice Hockey anymore.

I'd like to take this opportunity and thank all those who helped me, supported and trusted me for the past 16 years, in my effort to build Ice Hockey in Greece. I'd also like to express that I don't hold any grudges with anybody and I apologize if my actions hurt some people.

Oh yes, Greece had a national team that used to take part in the lower divisions of the World Ice Hockey Championships.

Also at some point Greece had several hockey clubs in Athens, Chalkida and Thessaloniki, but eventually all the ice rinks were closed, with the players not able to train.

well it costs money to provide facilities and training center/tournament entrance, trasnportation fees doenst it????Ice Hockey is maybe the most expensive sport you can play and only greeks abroad play the sport really, yeah we could still have a team consisting of our diaspora which is no problem but the sport just doesnt have the climate and potential to grow in Greece i think, and if its generally unknown and not something the people can play, why should they pay tax money to support it? dont get me wrong i love ice hockey its probably the funnsest sport to watch and play....

Upto now the players all paid for their equipment out of their own pockets. The only thing they were asking for was at least one ice rink in Greece, where they could play and practice. Greece is one of only 3 European countries that does not have an ice rink ever since the one last one in Moschato closed. Not much to ask for from the Ministry of Sports in my opinion.

Archived