Phantis Forums

why so defensive?

Tunaos

My friend,

I have to disagree w/ you here. I'm a DIE HARD when it comes to the National team but in no means are we very offensive minded team.

The way that our team performed in the EURO is EXACTLY how our style is. the most goals that we scored in EURO was 2

I wish that we can trun our style of play around and become an offensive tyope of team but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

One major reason why is because we don't have true strickers playing outside of Greece other than Charisteas. Our Domestic league needs to have these guys go abroad and getr the experience from other countries and play w/ top class talents. Till this is done in a consistent level, I hate to say it we're not going to be a powerhouse of offense.

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

yes i agree that defence is definately our strong point, we always produce good defensemen but i do think we are better offensivly then we give ourselves credit for, i mean i think that by now, vryzas should not still be playin with us, he is too innefective, if you ask me if you replace him with papadopoulos or amanatidis or gkekas or some new blood they would be more dangerous on offence for sure, our midfield is solid with basinas, karagounis and so on...but they are aging quickly as well

overrall i think king otto should not be afraid to invite new people and give them a run, we need to look to the future too, dont forget guys, nikopolidis is gettin old too, all our hopes are on kotsoli :D

but we all hope greece makes it to the mundial :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Guest Protathlitis

I have no problem whatsoever with the way out NT plays.

Look at the games we won at euro: we DOMINATED both games against portugal and France and were in charge for most of the czech game

its funny to see the english etc. complain that we were too defensive:

look at the difference between when we played France and when they did: england played with 11 defending in their box all hand on deck defending. Greece on the other hand dominated the game through our midfield.

Our defence is one of the best in the world if not the best but I think our midfield is what allowed us to win euro: Zagorakis, Basinas, Karagounis, Giannakopoulos

Tunaos, Greece does have a striker shortage though, apart from Charisteas we dont really have a proven striker who has proved himself internationally and Vryzas is too old after euro

Thats why it was so funny to hear the portuese players like pauleta complaining about our tactics: we dominated them and had many more chances than them before we got the goal we wanted

all our hopes are on kotsoli

all my hopes are on Giannou

Why are you playing so defensive when you have got a lot of class attackers? I believe that you could make it with a offensive tactic very well.

i think your dead wrong no offense

we have alot of good offensive players

but nobody in that position that can be labeled great

unless charisteas becomes that type of a scorer

but lets be realistic our strikers and offensive midfielders aren't creative as the players say zidane beckham and nedved to name a few

again they are good solid players that know their roles

i mean Greece can't be criticize for their play b/c if they were to play offensive minded game they would not win as many games as they do now

Greece got terribly beaten for their play in Euro 2004

where the big teams like Italy, Germany and etc play a boring game but its alright

Greece strengths is the man marking

everybody has a responsibility

our stars for the most part start from Nikopolidis to the defensive line and off course the captain Zagorakis

its not like Greece just put everybody back and hope for a goal and win 1-0

they push it up alot they just don't have enough goals to prove it

but they win end of story

look at the way porto won back to back years the uefa cup and c.l.

they played a worst brand of football but its okay b/c they won

Greece did the same thing they won period and now its time to qualify for the world cup

A team needs to play to its strengths, Greeces strength is it's defense, hence it makes sense to play a defensive game.

And i am quite happy with the Vryzas-Charisteas combination, it worked wonders against Kazakhstan. Papadopoulos is crap and shouldn't be in the NT.

Guest Protathlitis

scored the least goals a team has ever scored that won the Uefa Euro trophy

thats just not true man; where did you get that?

Why is Nikopolidis not playing on FEb 9th against Denmark?

where did you get that?

no Nikopolidis? Who's his backup? I don't trust Halkias between the pipes for Greece, nor Katergiannakis. Nikopolidis won EURO for us! Otto? Are you kidding me? This is such a dumb move, he may as well throw Hiotis in there :LOL:

Guest Protathlitis

all great teams play defensively....

3. PANATHINAIKOS

:LOL: how can list your club there without letting tunous know that you joking?

ESP is right though. many 'defensive' teams are successful and not just in football

Also, I think the reason we won euro and have the team we have is because of our midfield. Our midfield dominates games; against portugal, france etc.

When you watch the game you see just how much our midfield dominated; we are not so much a defensive team as we are very good defensivley

Tunaos, all great teams play defensively....

1. MILAN

2. JUVENTUS

3. PANATHINAIKOS

4. SQUATRA AZZURA

:P :P

funny how Panathniakos gets mentioned in the same breath with Juve and Milan

due remember they they have 8 C.L. title combined to Pao's 0 also same with Olympiakos just of note

This is the exact same conversation I had a few days ago with my friends!

I just think that although Id like to see an offensive minded Greece it wont happe, we won EURO bc we played to our strengths - defence. Esp with Dellas is such form and with Seitaridis and Fyssas and Kapsis!

Our Midfield also dominated which made the defences job easier!

But, I think we lack depth and I also think we are becoming too predictable. Teams will start to figure us out - we have the same tactics, same lineup, same mentality!

greece 7 goals

denmark in 92 had 6 - in 1 less game

HELLAS played seven games in EURO 2004 but DENMARK played six in EURO 1992 as you mentioned... ;)

and guys, please do NOT turn this topic into OLY-PAO slaughter, AGAIN!!! :ph34r:

so whats your point that Greece didn't score alot of goals

they got the job done

by the way where was Turkey ?????????

they were home watching lol :LOL:

Archived