Phantis Forums

Turkish Basketball Thread

Ulkerspor, days after winning their fourth title after sweeping Efes 4-0, declared that they are closing down the club and will make a big-deal aggrement with most possibly Fenerbahce. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Ulkerspor chairman Ali Dogan also added that they started negotiations with ULEB for their Euroleague berth to be given to Fenerbahce... :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Efes Pilsen added its third guard to its squad yesterday after officially declaring that they signed former AEK and Hapoel Migdal combo-guard Horace Jenkins. It's a strange coincidence as Efes has signed both Euroleague and Uleb Cup topscorers of last season..

The odd thing is Efes now has five guards for a place of two.. Ender Arslan and Baris Ermis were already there from last year and they have added clutch-player Cuneyt Erden from Ulkerspor, Drew Nicholas from Benetton Basket Treviso and finally Jenkins (186 cm, 32 yr)..

I do not know much about this player.. I know he had a stint at AEK in 2003 and averaged something like +15 ppg but I really have doubts whether he can play up to the standards of Efes.. Because I have a feeling that he doesn't like the D which is the first and foremost importance of Efes ecole!!

Can anyone provide some info on this guy?? :unsure:

standards of Efes? come on man...Efes pilsen is average ... Jenkins i remember the name he was pretty good i though....

what happened with Fener in the euroleague...oh man that will be great....even funnier to watch than in the champions leage :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Edited by drakos13

oh mate, c'mon! Efes average... :huh: Other than Maccabi, CSKA, Winthertur Barcelona and Tau who are in their own league with their squads and monetary facilities, I would rate Efes in the second string of teams among PAO, Skipper and Benetton.. A team always in Top 8 for the last 10 years CANNOT BE average, man!

and the standards.. the word standard I misused it a bit.. I mean I'm not sure whether he would be able to defend.. because he is quite undersized for an off-guard..

it's not Fenerbahce, it will be Fenerbahce Ulker as Ulker gave their most important players and their right to participate in the Euroleague to the gays.. Very key players like Kutluay, Onan and Turkcan will play for the gays this season.. :whistle: and they have signed Willie Solomon from Maccabi Elite as well... and they have two very promising players in Hakan Demirel and Semih Erden/.. they are not so bad and the second favourites after Efes in Turkey rite now!!

PAO second string with Efes!??!? are you kidding me? PAO are making the final 4 almost every year, missed it last year by a bizarre tragedy we always had a tough time with that team.. and meanwhile raping teams like CSKA, Barcelona, Real home and away...

in fact its always Malaga or Tau who ever give us problems lately.....something about the polar ends of spain i guess...

Efes is decent, they make it past the group stage but never past that....sorry above average but not in the elite...

the list of those leading teams can well change this year however..

Olympiacos is really making some clever moves.. Gershon, Domercant and Maciauskas are top class signatures..

and what has PAO done?? why did they Lakovic go?? more importantly, why did they replace him with a loser --Besirovic--??

what have PAO done? are you crazy?

in the last 6 years PAO have been in the final euroleague 4 four times, 2x cup winners, 1 runner up, 1 3rd place last year....

has Efes even made the Final 4 before?

last year they were the strongest team in the tournament until the shock elimination...CSKA, Real, other teams in the final 4 were ripped apart in the group stages by PAO!

we offered Lakovic new contract, he agreed, then ran to Barcelona...what a bitch...

and what has PAO done?? why did they Lakovic go?? more importantly, why did they replace him with a loser --Besirovic--??

i'm talking about their signings not their achievements.. ;)

i really hope you don't expect Besirovic to become another Lakovic!! and why didn't you go for Mace?? you desperately need a player in his position..

Basirovic sounds bosnian, what do you know about him?

Sani Besirovic is the back-up combo-guard in Slovenia NT behind Lakovic... He has always been seen as a hot potential but never made his mark in Europe.. He was rejected after trials with several top Euroleague teams like Kinder Bologna, Zalgiris and Efes Pilsen. He has played mainly for Union Olimpija and Krka Novo Mesto of Slovenia..

Sani Besirovic is the back-up combo-guard in Slovenia NT behind Lakovic... He has always been seen as a hot potential but never made his mark in Europe.. He was rejected after trials with several top Euroleague teams like Kinder Bologna, Zalgiris and Efes Pilsen. He has played mainly for Union Olimpija and Krka Novo Mesto of Slovenia..

wow that sucks....This could be the year Olympiakos regain the league in that case... :tdown:

suposedly Javtokas of Lithuania is supposed to be good and we got a typical NBA loser Delk or somethng like that........and the begining of the summer we were supposed to get these major signings...instead we just lost 2 critcal players...

suposedly Javtokas of Lithuania is supposed to be good and we got a typical NBA loser Delk or somethng like that........and the begining of the summer we were supposed to get these major signings...instead we just lost 2 critcal players...

you got Delk?? he's been a proven scorer in NBA --in late 90's that's true but anyway here is Europe-- and can do quite well.. you really should have got Maciauskas.. I have a felling Frinos will kick ass this year.. :unsure:

Javtokas is a great C/PF.. I hope Obradovich doesn't wear him out like he did with Femerling.. You also got Ntikoudis so other than that PG spot, you look OK.. :)

yeah late 90s was a looong time ago for an athlete....i never heard of Delk but we often get the typical NBA player who was ok in the NBA and they come hear and do nothing sort of like Tracey Murray the other year and some other guy...the only american player on PAO worth mentioning is MIKE Batiste.... :nw:

Femerling was awful, im not sure if thats zelkos fault...forgot about Ntikoudis...i guess its a good signing but we should have gone after Castle from Aris for PG

sort of like Tracey Murray the other year and some other guy...

should be Lonny Baxter.. he was one of the worst American players I ever saw play in the Euroleague.. :huh: very physical but not a hint of a skill.. :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

in the first derby game of the BEKO Turkish Basketball League, Fenerbahce Ulker have beaten Beşiktaş Colaturka, 83-71.Fener dominated from the start and Beşiktaş never came close.

Jamel Thomas of Beşiktaş led all scorers with 25 pts (most of them scored at garbagetime) and former Efes guard Willie Solomon had 16 pts 6 rebs 5 ast for Fenerbahce Ulker.

Beşiktaş Colaturka look like a shadow of the team it once was in the last two years.. Replacing greats like El Amin, Ffriend and Wright with mediocre guys like Reese, Ostojic and Sales doesn't look like a good idea! Poor Didin!! :(

hey drako, Delk had 20 against Aris ;) and your favourite Sunny Delightovic had 11!! :LOL:

how did my man do (Javtokas)?

• 1 month later...

could someone answer this question?? :o :o

WHY DOES THE STUPID BUCKS COACH INSIST IN NOT GIVING ERSAN ILYASOVA A CHANCE?? HE'S PLAYED 1.3 MPG SO FAR AND HAD A FANTASTIC SUMMER BOTH IN EURO U-20 CHAMPIONSHIP AND IN WORLDBASKET!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

in TBL's derby and potential practice for title-deciding matches, Efes Pilsen have beaten Fenerbahce Ulker 83-72.. but the game is now recalled for a fierce brawl between Efes forward Marcus Haislip and Fener swingman Mirsad Turkcan.. both players have been handed 9 game bans and 40,000 YTL fines by the Basketball Federation..

they recalled the game you mean it has to be replayed??? over a punch and a slap?? that doesnt sound right......but go Haislip :LOL: !!!

Turk: I can answer your question

USA in basketball is racist against foreigners and whites. Theres the stereotype that blacks are just better at basketball (btw how many have a WC gold medal? :D ) Im not kidding, and it doesnt surprise me at all that so many european talents just get shoved on the bench without a fair chance, mostly because coaches dont care to recognize their past experience too (if its not US highschool or college, then they wont bother looking at it, no matter how distinguished)

Ilyasova I remember being the star of Turkey in the WC....i cant beleive hes not getting played. Give the guy a full chance hes got huge potential.....just like Kutluay did but they sent him home :tdown: ..... but maybe with patience and great luck you can force your way on the team like Stojakovic, Gasol, Nowitzki and Ginobili

Spanoulis is also stuggling to get much time although all he does when he plays is impress... he got a few minutes last game and got 5 poitns and one of the great plays of the game :gr: :nw:

they recalled the game you mean it has to be replayed??? over a punch and a slap?? that doesnt sound right......but go Haislip :LOL: !!!

Turk: I can answer your question

USA in basketball is racist against foreigners and whites. Theres the stereotype that blacks are just better at basketball (btw how many have a WC gold medal? :D ) Im not kidding, and it doesnt surprise me at all that so many european talents just get shoved on the bench without a fair chance, mostly because coaches dont care to recognize their past experience too (if its not US highschool or college, then they wont bother looking at it, no matter how distinguished)

Ilyasova I remember being the star of Turkey in the WC....i cant beleive hes not getting played. Give the guy a full chance hes got huge potential.....just like Kutluay did but they sent him home :tdown: ..... but maybe with patience and great luck you can force your way on the team like Stojakovic, Gasol, Nowitzki and Ginobili

Spanoulis is also stuggling to get much time although all he does when he plays is impress... he got a few minutes last game and got 5 poitns and one of the great plays of the game :gr: :nw:

i agree with you about Ersan.. he HAS TO PLAY in that poor Bucks rotation..Simmons is no better than him!!!

about Stojakovic, Gasol and Ginobili.. they were not signed as future prospects by their franchises when they first moved to the NBA.. especially Ginobili and Gasol directly started at Spurs and Grizzlies..

do you remember Nowitzki's story?he was transferred from a German Second Division team as a future project in 1999. you know what happens to those sort of "projects" (Serguei Monya, Darko Milicic, Michael Olowokandi...etc) but he somehow broke into the team and worked very hard and became the Larry Bird of the modern era..

another unexpected European development is Zaza Pachulia (Turkish-based Georgian) who is a regular at Hawks and who was a regular at Bucks. he's not among the elite centers in the league (Shaq, Yao, Kaman, Memo, Amare...etc) but he has really done well to establish himself in the NBA..

by the way, they didn replay the game.. i mean, the game is remember now for its incident!! ;)

worth mentioning here is the success of Utah Jazz.. they started with a franchise high 10-1 and in the last 5 games AK-47 was injured.. Carlos Boozer is playing like Karl Malone, Deron Williams is playing like a true point guard (15+ pts 7+ asts) and Memo is playing like a creative center (15+ pts 7+ rebs 3.5 asts).. other than these three main guys, surprise packages like C.J. Miles at the off-guard position and Paul Millsap at the small forward position are really making a huge contribution.. I don't know whether this is a one-of explosion in form or indicators of a consistent rise to being a contender, this team is really doing well.. here are some stats from their starting 5 in their last game with Raptors..

Deron Williams PG -- 35 mins, 5/18 FG, 12 pts, 5 rebs, 8 asts

C.J. Miles SG -- 14 mins, 1/5 FG, 2 pts 2 rebs

P. Millsap SF -- 27 mins, 8/10 FG, 20 pts, 7 rebs

C. Boozer PF -- 33 mins, 14/16 FG, 35 pts, 9 rebs

M. Okur C -- 41 mins, 5/16 FG, 17 pts, 13 rebs

and finally Ilyasova started to get his chance.. after his impressive 7 pts 5 rebs display in just 8 minutes against Wizards a few days ago, he played for 23 minutes against Pacers yersterday and got 12 pts, 2 stl, 2 rebs and more importantly had 5/6 FG (2/2 from downtown).. Terry Stots, Bucks headcoach, said after the game that he needs to focus more on his defensive display and that 2 stl, 2 rebs will not be enough to make him a regular.. you f***n s** of a b***h, 5/6 FG is the BEST OVERALL IN YOUR TEAM!!! :angry: :angry:

so far, it's been a huge week for Turkish teams in basketball..

Efes Pilsen have trashed Euroleague favourites Olympiacos 95-77 after an incredible 39-17 run in the 4th quarter. Gershon's face in the 4th quarter said it all!

Banvitspor have beaten a Russian team and have taken the group lead in their FIBA Eurocup Group.

The pride of Ankara in basketball, Turk Telekom, have smashed Eurocup favourites Perm Ural Great or Russia 96-79 behind 24 points from forward Jan Hendrik Jagla and 19 each from center Erwin Dudley and combo guard Muratcan Guler. They have 2 wins out of 3 games now and if they beat Panionios with +8 pts next week (which is very much possible) they will probably win the group..

Today's match sees Fenerbahce Ulker at Winthertur FC Barcelona and a win here for Fener would be hugely surprising..

Turk Telekom beat Panionios Forthnet 82-75 and taught a good lesson to their Serbian head coach..

Turk Telekom now lead their group with 3:1 and a win away would probably seal the lead in their group..

Erwin Dudley was yet again the man of the match, posting 28 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. The Jamaica-based American centre was not the only player in Telekom to post a double-double, as playmaker Tutku Acik had 16 points and 1o assists... :nw: :nw: :nw: