Phantis Forums

Xanthi Stadium

Euphoria

Posted Image

Posted Image

Capacity: 9,500 (all-seater)

Record Attendance: 11,724 (Skoda Xanthi FC vs PAOK Salonica - in the 1995-96 season)

Location: The stadium is located in Xanthi, a city in the north-eastern region of Thrace. The city does not have an airport, but it is served by the international airport of the nearby city of Kavala (45 km away). The stadium itself is located just 500m east of the central square (follow signs to the "Old Town").

The ground on which Xanthi Stadium now stands was used as a football field since the 1920's by Orpheas Xanthi ("ancestor" of Xanthi A.O.). The stadium started to take its current form in 1970. The latest major modification took place in 1989 (year of promotion of the local club in the 1st Division), when the large south stand was constructed. The stadium used to have a capacity of 12,000 untill 1998, when seats were installed in the roofed stand. In 2000 it was fully covered with seats (reducing its capacity to 9,500). At the same time, the stadium floodlights were installed.

One might wonder about the two differnent colours used for the seating. The answer is very simple: The club's original colours were red and white. However, in the early '90s Xanthi A.O. was sold to the Skoda motor company, who added its name to that of the club. The colour of Skoda is green (indeed, the shirts of the team changed from red-and white to green-and-white). So, most of the stadium's stands are green, but the west curved stand is red - a reminder of the club's past.

Nice stadium, but one thing I don't understand. Why do the builders of so many stadiums in Greece decide not to build stands behind one of the goals. Other examples are Rizoupoli, Aigaleo and others. This make the stadium unappealing to me.

• 3 months later...

olympiakos11, I update the average crowd figure every week in this thread:

http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?...?showtopic=4426

thanks alot

i am a bit dissapointed with the figures since Xanthi is having their best season ever

i know its a small city of 70,000 people but even with 10% -15% of that population attended games it would fill up that stadium

but i am not taking away from the success of the club truly amazing

hopefully they will end strong and play well in uefa cup next season

• 10 months later...

Nice stadium, but one thing I don't understand. Why do the builders of so many stadiums in Greece decide not to build stands behind one of the goals. Other examples are Rizoupoli, Aigaleo and others. This make the stadium unappealing to me.

Afou einai oloi stin Ellada MALAKES.

All over Europe you see even in the shitiest teams having complete stadiums of even less than 5000 capacity!!! and in Greece they rave about shity stadiums like this :LOL:

Afou einai oloi stin Ellada MALAKES.

All over Europe you see even in the shitiest teams having complete stadiums of even less than 5000 capacity!!! and in Greece they rave about shity stadiums like this :LOL:

ama den sou aresoun ta ghpeda kalamatiane giati den plhrwneis gia ta symplhromata;

the stadium is very nice and fitting for a small town like Xanthi- though Ziaka is right they could have put another stand behind the goals...

@erpay: yes Baykara plays for Skoda Xanthi

@euphoria- i have only seen ksanthi play in this new stadium- they did last year vs OSFP and PAO

Archived