Phantis Forums

Kenteris & Thanou

Ziaka

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today's news here in US is that Viktor Conte, the man behind Balco, has claimed during a TV interview that Marion Jones has used his steroids during the 2000 Olympic games in Sydney, where she defeated Thanou in the 100 meters. Now if that can be proven to IOC, they will have to strip her of the gold medal in that event. If that happens Thanou then would be awarded the gold. Wouldn't that be ironic?

details from San Diego.com:

Conte goes on TV and names names

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i really hope they get that 2 year ban. since i know for sure they have been doped. my source said, that they couldnt have taken more stuff. they wanted to break the world records. i feel no pity for them if they get punished and from the moment on they went out and said "we are not guilty" etc and i knew they were doped i cant even be happy about their other good results because there is the feeling in the back of my mind that they were doped then too.

somehow i hate them now because they fooled greeks all around the world although they have been treated like gods in greece.

IAAF has made their decision concerning Kenteris and Thanou:

IAAF Statement on the Greek athletes and coach

Wednesday 22 December 2004

Monte-Carlo - The IAAF has now considered the written explanations received from the Greek athletes, Mr Konstantinos Kenteris and Ms Ekatherina Thanou and from the Greek coach, Mr Christos Tzekos, in response to doping charges filed against them by the IAAF on 2 December 2004.

In each case, the IAAF has concluded that the explanation provided is unacceptable in response to the charges made. Accordingly, the IAAF has notified the Greek Federation earlier this afternoon that both athletes and the coach are provisionally suspended pending the resolution of their cases. As provided under IAAF Rules, a hearing for each individual will now be convened before the relevant disciplinary tribunal of the Greek Federation to determine whether doping violations have been committed. There will be a final right of appeal from the decision of the Greek Federation to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Now that a disciplinary process has commenced, the IAAF will make no further comment in this matter until appropriate.

IAAF

(From IAAF web site)

• 2 months later...

SEGAS, the Greek Track & Field Federation has made their decisionin the doping scandal involving Katerina Thanou, kostas Kenteris and their coach Christos Tzekos. SEGAS has absolved Thanou and Kenteris from the charges made by IAAF, since there was insufficient evidence. On the other hand Christos tzekos was banned from any involvment in athletics for 4 years.

Immidiately after the verdict, IAAF has made an announcement voicing their displeasure with the SEGAS decision.

Here is the story from sportime.gr:

Thanou, Kenteris free - Tzekos banned for 4 years

The statement from IAAF is as follows:

The IAAF notes the decision to suspend the coach Christos Tsekos for a period of four years but was surprised to learn that the sprinters Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou have been cleared of charges that they tried to evade doping controls.

The IAAF is now looking forward to receiving full documentation in English about this decision, and this will be carefully considered by our Doping Review Board.

The IAAF will then decide whether to accept or reject the decision, and in the latter case it reserves the right to appeal to the Court of Arbitration in Sport. (From IAAF.org)

this is just ridiculous. could it have been clearer that they had something to hide? :angry:

but as i know since the olympics, they were and are covered from people in high positions. because of these people a lot of doctors in KAT will have some problem with justice soon. :tdown: they got the instructions to cover kenteris and thanou and to make false announcements about their health after they threw the motorbike on the ground. :LOL:

Whatever SEGAS decides is inconsequential in the long run. Kenteris and Thanou will never race in an IAAF sponsered race again. More to the point, they will never race for Greece again. The IAAF will appeal this ruling and SEGAS's decision will be overturned.

How is is the coach got a ban for 4 years and these two kids didn't. Give me a break. Like Irlandos said...some things in Greece never change. Money talks, bullshit walks.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

IAAF has struck an out of court deal with Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou concerning their punishment for alleged doping violations. They are now cleared to race again starting from December 22, 2006. before they race again, they have to pass three drug tests.

Only few days before the issue was going to be taken by CAS (The International Court of arbitration for Sports), IAAF has decided to settle out of court. It should be noted that SEGAS (the Greek track & field authority) has cleared the two athletes for doping violations, something that IAAF did not accept. For that reason the case was heading into CAS.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forums. Nice web site.

It would be interesting to see how they perform if they decide to come back to competition. My opinion is that they will both come back and compete.

Thanou will probably be fine although I doubt very much she will be the force she used to be.

Kenteris saved himself over the years by not running week after week, and received alot of flack over this by the international press, fans, etc. This might be the only thing that flips the scales in favor of returning, although even if he does, I doubt he ever runs sub-20 again.

But we can always hope :)

Thanks for the kind words re: our site.

• 7 months later...

At the European championships she was recieved with a chorus of boos and finished well back in the final

I guess she has not gotten over the trauma of her motorcycle injury :LOL:

This sport is so uninteresting now

wat a bitch

Re file she's not a bitch. I know this sounds cynical but they're all on drugs, ALL of them. The difference is the catch those they want to catch. I remember during the Olympics in Athens the US basketball team's security refused entry to officials who went to their camp to carry out a random drugs test, did they get thrown out? No! The money that can be made through marketing, advertising, etc, off of Kenteris and Thanou is alot lower than that, that could be made off of Crawford (who won the 200m in Keneteris') absence. If the USA's (DREAM TEAM) was thrown out of the basketball comp and banned imagine the money that would have been lost both at the Olympics and the NBA! Atheltics is a m*****a in that respect.

As for Thanou finishing 6th. (1) she is a hurdler, this was a straight sprint. (2) She had a bad start which in a 60m dash is suicidal because there is no tiem to make up for it. (3) She was 2nd fastest in qualifying so dont look to much into it.

Archived