Phantis Forums

Newcastle Suppoter here

Howaythetoon

Hi, thanks for the wlecome. Cool forum you have here :tup:

Ok.

Q1: Is it true that Panionios are the oldest football team in Greece?

Q2: Who are Panionios's star players and what damage can they do to Newcastle United?

Q3: What style of football do Panionios play - attacking? Defensive? Direct? Counter attack etc.?

Q4: Do Panionios fans welcome English fans to their ground?

Q5: Have Panionios ever played English opposition before?

I would be most grateful if these questions could be answered as Newcastle fans really don't know much about Panionios and I'm creating a guide for my website so my fellow fans can learn about them.

Thanks, much appreciated :)

I will give it a shot. Others can fill in or correct me...

Q1: Is it true that Panionios are the oldest football team in Greece?

They must be one of the Oldest, but not the Older. I think Apollon Athinwn and Iraklis Thessaloniki can claim First Place.

Look into that website for more accurate info... http://www.rsssf.com/tablesg/grk-names.html

Q2: Who are Panionios's star players and what damage can they do to Newcastle United?

Also try this... http://www.panionios.gr/ It has an English Section. Slovakian Mario Breska Seems to be their Greek Championship top scorer on 2 goals (still Early though).

Panagiotis Giannopoulos is also a quite dangerous Defender ( ! ) Who did a lot of dammage to Udinese in the Qualifying round.

Q3: What style of football do Panionios play - attacking? Defensive? Direct? Counter attack etc.?

You can be fairly certain they will play a cautious game. It depends of course where you will play your game. If you play them in Greece they might entertain the thought of some minutes of attacking play acording to the progress of the game.

Q4: Do Panionios fans welcome English fans to their ground?

I think they will be OK. But you have to come organised and sit in predetermined spaces in the ground to be more certain everything will be OK.

Q5: Have Panionios ever played English opposition before?

I am not sure ... According to their History in Europe Section of the Greek part of their Webpage they have not.

I dont remember the name of the man, but some years ago a former Liverpool Legent coached them for a season. I also think they faced Lazio with him on the bench...

Hope I helped a bit. I also hope some people might fill in more info/

One last thing...

Check this out too! http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?showforum=22

Enjoy

English players that have played for Panionios was Garry Owen from 1986-89 and

in the 1997/98 season Panionios had Ronny Whelan as coach and Marco Gabbiadini and Mark Robbin as players. Panionios managed to reach the quarter final of the Cup Winner Cup that season only to go out (0-6) on aggregate to S.S Lazio who were the eventual winners and featured Marcelo Salas and Christian Vieri

So they have an ex Sunderland player who has played for them. Thanks for the info that's brilliant. I shall link to this excellent site once I've created my guide.

I have another question, do Panionios have a nickname, for example Newcastle United are nicknamed the "Magpies".

Cheers

Their Fanclub is called the Panthers. But I am not sure if Panionios Themselves have a nickname.

Be sure to include that Panionios are one of the best clubs in Young Talent Development (or used to)

They have supplied some of the gratest players to Greek Football up to one Decade back.

They have supplied some of the gratest players to Greek Football up to one Decade back.

Can you list these great players? I was looking at their website which you posted the link to and I noticed quite a few of their players were young.

How are Panionios percieved within Greek football? Are they a big club, do they unsettle the big guns at the top of the League?

Sorry for all these questions but I want my fellow supporters to know as much about them as possible.

Cheers

Panionios are indeed the oldest club in Greece having been founded in 1896 or thereabouts in Smyrna, Asia Minor. The club migrated to New Smyrna (an Athens suburb), along with Smyrna refugees, after the 1922 war.

They have given Greek football:

Nikos Pentzaropoulos - a legendary keeper in the 1950's still thought of as the best all-time Greek GK.

Kostas Nestoridis - A star striker in the 1950's and 1960's with AEK.

Thomas Mavros - A star striker from 1971 till almost 1990.

Nikos Anastopoulos - Another goal-scoring threat in the 1980's - early 1990's with Olympiakos.

Somebody remind me if Dimitris Saravakos also sprung up from Panionios. I know his father did.

Overall, Panionios have never won the title in Greece (second in 1971) though they have lifted the Cup twice with upset victories over AEK and Panathinaikos.

They are not a championship contender but could well win another UEFA Cup spot. In short, you could say they are the Aston Villa or Newcastle Utd. of Greece.

Btw, Howaythetoon...

HAWAY THE LADS!!!

:D

Somebody remind me if Dimitris Saravakos also sprung up from Panionios. I know his father did.

he did indeed!

I would say other dangerous players from Panionios are Vagelis Matzios and Dimitris Mitrou who is unfortunately suspended by his club for some interbal regulations breach. Jaroslav Drobny is a good goalkeeper too. Panathinaikos had shown an interest in him during the summer but couldn't agree on a price with Panionios.

Panionios is a handful for anyone at home so I don't see Newcastle strolling in Athens. Udinese got destroyed in the last round 3-1 and it could have been worse.

Panionios do not have many fans but those they do are very passionte and can create a hellish atmosphere for the opposition. The same pretty much goes for any Greek side. Let's just hope they are well- behaved.

I think the most likely result will be a draw.

Hi guys, just a quick note to say I have completed my 'fact-file' which can be read here: http://www.howaythetoon.com/articles/panio...nios_nufc.shtml

And to say a big thankyou to all who helped, much appreciated and good luck to all your respective clubs, except Sunderland :D

Cheers

Good work. Excellent pesentation and very informative.

Hope you don't forget us. Come by and say Hi! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Really good guide to the club - well done.

As an English Panionios fan (my fiance's family are from Athens) I've actually learnt quite a lot I didn't know thanks to your questions. Never knew Gabbiadini played for them - my English team is York City and he was a hero there when I was a lad.

Hope you Toon folks have a good time in Nea Smyrni - I've been to four or five home games and always found it very friendly.

Archived