Phantis Forums

New Stadium

Spears

cant wait for the little prasino palataki!!!!!!!! BRAVO BAKOGIANNI!!!! :nw: :nw:

40.000 to 45.000 seats!!!! it sounds soo good!!!!

• 11 years later...

First, do not demolish Leofors before everything is complete. Don't be like AEK. Second, this is a big investment, and I'm afraid it's for public consumption than reality.

Why? Because the sport isn't generating big $ in this economically depressed country. The gap between healthy (and bigger) euro teams and the rest (incl. Greek teams) is getting wider. You can see that wealthy people don't want to invest in Greek clubs. Even Marinakis is cutting down a lot.

While Greece remains in basket case, I don't see any big project being done. I was young and I got old talking about the new PAO home. Back in the early 2000's (yeah, 15+ years ago!!) we had a long discussion about it here in this forum, and some members were hopeful that the new home would be ready by ..2008 on the club's 100th anniversary! :confused: They had plans, drawings, money, and the country was about to host the Olympic Games. .... bulldozers were starting shifting ground in Votaniko!  Well, we know how this turned out....:angry-687657:

As a side note..... If you had the money, would you invest in this?  And, if you lived around Goudi, would you want a football stadium in your neighborhood?  (just asking, not trying to be negative, rather be pragmatic)

Tsipras made a big mistake back then with the "kormoranous fiasco" and he wants to make up for it!

Only time will tell since his record indicates otherwise…see memorandum and the tearing up of it!

I believe they are serious about the project and for the first time I see the Giannakopoulos family agreeing with it.

Tsipras wants the construction starting before the year 2019 which is election year!

This could force the current bozos in government to speed up the process since syriza is about 17 points behind ND in recent polls!

Then again we are talking about Greece…anything can happen!

^^^

OK, but, above all, don't move out of Leoforos until the new stadium is ready. 

I doubt this project will boost Syriza's poll numbers, and I don't think they'll last until 2019. I wish the Giannakopoulos family had bought the football club too when they wanted it, but Tzigger refused.

• Like it 2

I'm also skeptical that this will happen but assuming it does get the go ahead, I'm fine with a 30000 capacity. It would be nearly double of what leoforos is with much more commercial potential. As long as they make it in a way that it can get to 40-45000 without too much trouble in the future I'm all for it. 

I'm skeptical towards this for several reasons. Firstly I doubt it will ever happen. Secondly a "plain stadium with a 30-35k capacity" doesn't sit well with me. Panathinaikos needs a prestigious 45k stadium. Lastly I think Votanikos would be a quite better location, although that's not the main priority. 

This is Greece, even a 15k stadium will not sell out every week. Let's not forget if we finally get a new stadium, we will have to stay there for at least 50 years, and more likely closer to 100. Building an inadequate stadium will be a huge mistake. 

Goudi is pretty much a blank canvas, there's no reason to not build a 40k+ stadium. 

It's a new reality, soccer in Greece won't be as big as when it had the virtual monopoly. Empty stadiums aren't good. I think a 35 thousand seat home would be fine.  Unless someone shows me credible arguments or evidence that a bigger stadium would fill most of the time, plus the projections into the future (which is admittedly hard to do), I just don't see big investments into Greek soccer. It's not only the stadiums (most of which are like a Third World country's), but the general state of the sport. There has to be a massive investment into building great teams that can seriously compete in Europe... and by compete I mean maybe reach the quarter finals.... The gap between half a dozen top teams and the rest is getting wider.

The problem runs far deeper than the stadium we play in. We're going to waste how many million in a stadium, for what?? Instagram likes? That's what it seems like.

I do see the good intentions behind it, but I think a little bit of priority should be put in place as to where our funds/invested energy go. Unfortunately new stadiums don't grant us CL births. If we are in CL, oaka is fine by me for the time being.

But I'm not holding my breath for anything, what happened to Votaniko, or the 2nd level upgrade of Leoforo, now this new investment... 

• 4 weeks later...

^^^^

I'll repeat, I was young and I got old waiting for this to happen. Back in the early 2000s, we were talking about the Votanikos's stadium about to be built and we wished it'd be ready by 2008 our club's 100th anniversary.....  Well.....

AEK should have never agreed to demolish their old stadium before getting a new one finished.

AEK's stadium was ruined by the earthquake in 2001...

I am of the view that AEK will get theirs sooner because it was demolished...

as slow as it is..demolishing is a means to an end..(at snails pace)..

also those old stadiums like leoforo and NF are a disgrace in 2017 for clubs like AEK and PAO...

I said it years ago..stadiums like leoforo with limited capacity and amenities force people away...you teach an entire generation that its OK  not to attend football games..attending football games is a habit..once its broken you lose a number of people..

attending football in 2017 needs to be easy, accessible and comfortable...

as much as the 'chest beaters' advocate for 'leoforo style' venues for 'history and atmosphere'..it does more long term harm..

• 4 years later...

Well, time to resurrect this once-dead topic. 

The plans for the new Votanikos stadium were approved by the Athens mayor, Bakogiannis, and the amateur council of Panathinaikos. My understanding is that they will break ground soon. 

After around 20 years of discussion, it seems like the plan is finally going to go through.