Phantis Forums

Article in Sky Sports about Greece & EURO2004

christos_uoa

Hey no worries Christos, its just someone's opinion that I totally disagree with.

One major thing that the writer failed to mention is that any team that plays defensively has to score. Yup, that thing called scoring is obviously of huge importance, even more than defence. Greece scored brilliantly and very effectively. Practically every good chance they had to score, they did.

Do you know what's really amazing? Greece was awarded only one corner in the whole match against Portugal, and you know what, they converted that into a goal. If that isn't amazing I don't know what is... Its not how many chances you get to score, but what you do with those chances. Greece was absolutely sublime in doing the most with all their scoring chances. All the other supposed "superior" teams, had many chances but didn't convert. What's more attractive? A team that fires blanks all the time or team that wins with one shot? I'd take the dominant team (Greece) any day. A successful team has play to their strengths, and Greece knew and played to their strengths to a tee. You wouldn't ask Tiger Woods to dunk a basketball, so why should Greece play "attractive" soccer? So they can lose 5-0? That's suicide, and truly unattractive football.

Soccer is a multi-dimensional sport with a million factors that go into the success of a team. Untangible and tangible things such as teamwork, playing to your strengths, discipline, inter-team relations, and yes "defense" all play huge factors in how effective a team is going to be.

To simply state that a defensive team is unattractive and bad for soccer is simply ignorant, and short sighted. I actually feel sorry for the above writer, that he can't appreciate all aspects of successful soccer styles including the multi-dimensional beauty of what Greece accomplished in Euro 2004 :D .

For sure only normal for those jealous folks who cannot accept the fact that H Patritha took the silverware without showing up in 20 years. "how could they do it"?..gve me a break!

Like my ex-footballer scottish friend said to me at work on monday after the win. "Huge sour grapes" for those that don't know football. He said he found our team exciting and obviously many teams play that way. He hopes scotland learns from our triumphant win!!

I kept playing at work on my casette radio this whole week "Greece are the 2004 euro champions" and the goals we scored. I drove my colleagues crazy! hehehe

This cracked me up!!! :lol: It's in response to the article in Sky Sports:

George Daniolos (Athens)

"If it hurts you so much, forget about football and concentrate on cricket. Greece won not only once but three times, so it did not only stop others from scoring, but scored itself. I have to leave you now because something landed in my back yard. I think it was Beckham's penalty. See you in the Mundial losers!"

these articles are ridiculous.

Lets not forget to mention an "attacking" team

PORTUGAL scored 8 goals in the tournamnent

GREECE scored 7 and played 15 less minutes.

1 goal makes the difference between attacking and defensive team???

its a matter of common sense, greece didnt sit back against France, if i remember they went at them but carefully in the first half. We could have had a goal but were unlucky. The next half we were still cautious but went forward, and eventually got a goal.

Now when you are up 1-0 against France with 20 mins left, I dont think running on the attack would work. Anyteam would show more caution, Greece who dont have that much attacking depth had to go forth less.

another country plays exactly the same way, except the iberians, who have a strong arrogance in there culture, and thus have never done anything in international competition, and never will. Portugal only got to the final because the tournament was in Portugal.

ITALY. the game there is score and sit on it, play defense and if you can get a counter, double it. Greece did get some counters but rarely got lucky, except for vs POrtugal on the premiera with Giourka.

Great points, Drakos.

Greece has been getting a lot of negative feedback from the English media, eh? Can it be perhaps that the English are having a hard time accepting the fact that a darkhorse nation like Greece have conquered Europe while there are still some "major" European nations that have yet to win the championship...like England? :tup:

well there were my comments to the author...

"Although Mr Buckinghan you numerously try not to take anything away from the Greeks your ultimate message reads between the lines "I'm trying to take it away because they didn't thrash everyone on their way to winning it"

You never ask yourself though, did the Greeks and Rehagel have the players to play a more attacking style of football successfully? I will answer for you, no we did not yet we made the best of what we had and achived what only 8 other European countries have achieved. We were no mugs and were never going to make fools of ourselves by playing for the neutrals satisfaction.

You ask if the French or Czechs had rattled 3-4 goals past Greece would Rehagel have a plan B? Well, let me ask you. Had Greece rattled 3-4 past France would you have written this article?

In Greece we have this sayingpretty simular to yours. "If my grandmother had testicles then she would be my grandfather"

And no, you can not take anything away from Greece. No one can. Greece won it fair and square and whoever didn't like the spectacle only had to change the channel. I don't remember any unfair tactics, cheating, diving or kicking lumps out of the oppositions best players.

You think Greece is the first nation that attempted to play the way it played? Obviously you don not know your football. Greece is just the first to be successfull at it. All you have to do is check the Czech Republic back in Euro '96 and how it got to the final.

It's just a shame that at the end we ran out of opponents to beat."

European Championship - All Time Winners List:

1960 U.R.S.S.(Soviet Union)

1964 Spain

1968 Italy

1972 Germany (West)

1976 Czech Republic

1980 Germany (West)

1984 France

1988 Netherlands

1992 Denmark

1996 Germany

2000 France

2004 Greece :gr: :gr: :gr:

Oh... :o Where are the Sissies? :huh:

Where is Wayne Roonie and the Neville Sisters? Where is Seaman and Martyn Keown? All these football legends that contributed so much laugh to international football? Where is Lee Dixon and Darren Anderton? Oh God how I miss them..... :P

Greece......with England are the only teams that scored in every game........

But Greece had to score in more games than England........

Rehhagel said: ...What's succesful, is modern

There was a reportage last week of a very known Football Academy for future Coaches in Germany, where coaches like Hannes Weissweiler and Ernst Happel learnt their profession.

Do you know whit what the Abstractor started the first semester.......He wrote on the blackboard........ "What's succesful, is modern".....

Archived