Phantis Forums

Ellas - Portugal

drakos13

its this saturday and its our chance to take the whole world by shock and get in the spotlight of the tournament. Portugal are favored to win and are expected to as the hosts opening.

I hope the ethniki really shows up and plays. if they do, we could have a great game and maybe even a shock. The only worries I have are Tsiartas, because when he sucks he SUCKS. he may have to come off early i feel. also nikopolidis may be shaky and probably if hes a human being lost sleep over his transfer :angry: .

I have a feeling we are going to score the first goal though and throw us off of our couches, though we may not win. I would say 2-1 Portugal, or 1-1, maybe if we are really on 2-1 for us... :rolleyes:

this of course if we dont crumble, which i dont think we will. This game is going to signify the progress of the team the most and the program in greece and also establish us as a worthy oponent, assuming we win.

any estimate of how many greek fans will be there?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greece will win 2-0.

Strikers wont score.

Dellas/Dabizas/Goumas will head the ball from a set piece.

And tsiartas/basinas/zagorakis will score from a direct freekick.

And the only other possibility is Karagounis doing something freaky.

The goals will start in the 69th minute onwards.

Kojak, that's not a bad prediction, but for that to happen, we have to keep the Portuguese from the scoring sheet as long as we can, and since they will be under big pressure to win this game, they might lose their composure. On the other hand, if we concede an early goal, I would tend to agree with Batigol and the blowout scenario.

not that this has that much wieght but its still scary statistic - no host has ever been defeated on the opening match...... same with the World Cup.

according to uefa.com this is likely.......

Posted Image

I think Rehagel's style is great but he has the wrong guys in, i Tsartas is just awful. He makes an occasional dangerous pass and free kick but hes a lazy peice of s%$#!. Karagkouni is far better and has been playing at Inter.... I would really prefer to not see Vryzas play- Especially over Papa who is so in form... also i feel there is NO doubt that Fyssas should play over Venetidis... Fyssas has been playing well for Benfica and i heard he showed some great skill vs Porto to score in the cup final.... Venetidis just sucks and makes stupid tackles.

something tells me Giannakopoulos is going to score the first....

heres how the porto-kalia will line up.....

Posted Image

the only player im really afraid of is Simao. Hes amazing. And in form. Pauleta shouldnt be given room, but thats about it. Figo is hopelessly out of form, and Petit never impressed me much, and im glad Rui Costa is playing because hell kick the ball to us the whole game because all he does are long-"all or nothing" passes

Couto is good but i think Nikolaidis will bring out his dirty side - he could get sent off..... Ferreira will also be dangerous....

Posted Image

There is no way rehagel will play with that line-up.

If he does i wont be too optimistic.

Tsiartas/Giannakopoulos(CM???) are players that can disappear in a game, especially defensively, no chance of them chasing down players, and dispossessing them.

Zagorakos/Basinas Left Midfield...no chance..its unheard of!!! Two of the best greek defensive midfielders on the wing, The uefa site must be losing the plot!

And still not sold on the idea of playing with 1 player upfront.

I agree! Remove Goumas (Kapsis) and throw in another forward even if it's one that will hold the ball and play behind Demis (Vryzas?).

Giannakopoulos belongs on the right side of our midfield.

Finally, Venetidis over Fyssas (sorry guys, but when in form, he is a better player!)

Posted Image

There is no way rehagel will play with that line-up.

If he does i wont be too optimistic.

Tsiartas/Giannakopoulos(CM???) are players that can disappear in a game, especially defensively, no chance of them chasing down players, and dispossessing them.

Zagorakos/Basinas Left Midfield...no chance..its unheard of!!! Two of the best greek defensive midfielders on the wing, The uefa site must be losing the plot!

I agree with Kojak... There is no way that Rehaggel will place the team with that line up..... Lakis and Venetidis to start the game? NO WAY!!!

Same goes to Dabizas!!!!

Lets see...

I think a 3-0 to Portugal!!!! :(

without Dellas we are screwed if Deco comes on. Lakis is also a huge hit.

My optimism is fading. i think uefa mixed Zagorakis/Basinas up with Giannakopoulos.

However I am for the 5-4-1, we are not an attacking team and its better to concentrate strength and dominate defensivley because we are the best defensive team in our group.

Now that Dellas is out i think Zikos would have been useful to have on the bench.......

Colina is the ref for the game. Everybod says he is the best ref in the world, but last Euro competition he butchered the Czechs. Would not be suprised if the Portuguese are gifted a penalty or two, just to keep the locals happy.

heres the latest in an article that was dated today...

Leading striker Demis Nikolaidis returned to training on Wednesday after a nagging calf problem. Goalkeeper Antonis Nikopolidis, central defender Traianos Dellas and midfielder Vassilis Lakis were also back on Thursday after missing several days of practice due to minor injuries.

Central defender Yannis Goumas said his team mates were primed to take on hosts Portugal.

"We are ready, everyone trained today except Dabizas but I believe he will be ready as well," Goumas said. "We are in a good frame of mind."

Dabizas watched the practice session from the bench as dozens of local fans cheered on the squad.

thats the main part of it for the injuries....

hope dabizaz is ready by tomorrow :box:

?????????????3-5-2?!!!!i would hope not.

5-4-1 is ideal because defense is our strength and we are the underdog. 5 back there im pretty sure can stop or limit portokalia to 1 goal.

you maybe are counting seitaridis and venetidis (should be fyssas) as midfielders...theyre both :not: but we are playing with demis alone and i feel that is good, all we need him to do is dribble in the box and they have to bring him down because THEY CANT STOP HIM :tup:

i dont expect anything, i hope we play well, i will be really happy with a tie...

the positives i see are that we only have 1 injury.....

Portugal have all the pressure....(Remember USA and Korea in WC2002....)

they only scored 1 with 10 men against us

they havent really routed anyone in their warmups teams, havent played competitively in a long time, only friendlies since Korea....

i just hope if we decide to attack we put Papa and NOT Vryzas he has no flair or finsihing....

Figo is far out of form

Deco is not starting

also PAO did great against Porto last year, most of the players are on the team and Derlei is not on Portugal...

Archived