Phantis Forums

How will Greece do in their group in Portugal?

evalagoal

34 members have voted

1. 1. How will Greece do in their group in Portugal?

• Finish 1st in Group
    • Finish 2nd in Group
    • Finish 3rd in Group
    • Finish Last in Group

Well! It's almost here... Euro 2004 ofcourse

What do you all think our Team is going to do in the group stage portion of Euro 2004.

This is actually a tough question becasue Greece is very familiar with these teams and has done well with all three.

Greece is entering this competetion with a new coach, new shirts, and will we have a new era of Greek soccer or is it going to be another "Greek Tragedy"?

Last place obviously, especially if Deminio wont be ready.

I'm just hoping we can score a goal, as we have proven that this is one helluva hard feat :whistle:

As far as the defence is concerned, sure it will hold up for the most part imo, its the offence that im worried about.

Almost all of you here are saying that we're going to do great. If all of you are thinking this way, then how come the bookies has us to finish dead last in our group?

Especially now w/ Demi not being 100% that's not going to help our chances..

What do you al think?

You know I've always said if teams like Croatia, Turkey and Korea can do as well as they did in international competition, then Greece can do BETTER. I'd love to see them beat France; there's a good chance we will meet them.

looks this is what i pray

greece

spain

russia

portugal

reilaity im not sure bout 2nd and third but portugal are hosting it so how bad would it b if they bowed out 1st round

portugal

spain

greece

russia

Gents, if we do not have faith in our own National Team than who does! Lets just forget the pain we have been put through in the past by our NT (World Cup 94) and get behind them.

Theres no reason why we cant do well - a dark horse.

I voted 2nd.

With Portugal to go through as well - host nation

Spain - Perenial Underachievers

faith belongs in churches, mosques, temples, and the Republican Party.

in soccer, faith factors in nowhere. going by our temas performance in the past, and the difficulty of the coming games, i see us more likely to collect 0 or 1 point rather than advancing, or even collecting 1 victory.

i am not saying it is impossible, it is far more possible than it has been in teh past. i just don't see it happening.

I HOPE I AM WRONG

Here is my analysis for our team...., which I also have posted in an other topic....

If we would beat the Russians in the Euoro and would get 3 points in 3 games.....

That would be a success......and would be the best result that Greece ever has achieved in a final tournament......

We have to see it from realistic point of view......

If Nikolaidis is fit... I m optimistic for our NT.......

I watched the game Greece - Switzerland 1 - 0 and Switzerland - Germany 0 - 2

None of the Germans had this facility...that Demis had to walk trough the Swiss and to create dangerous situations.........

I saw Papadopoulos against Poland....and he was way under Demis efficacy.......

Papadopoulos should anyway not be used in the centre but in the wings....is there where

he could contribute in the NT.....

If Demis is fit....I see anyway ...Vryzas / Demis upfront

then we have Giannakopoulos / Lakis behind on the midfield on the sides......

and Katsouranis / Zagorakis (or Karagounis)... working for the defensive play....

As I know Rehhagel.....he will put Fyssas / Seitaridis on the backs.....

and ... Kapsis (was not so good lately)..... Dellas in the Centre......

Nikopolidis... will start as the mainkeeper in the tournament......

But still we have alteratives....like Charisteas , Papadopoulos, Georgiadis, Kaffes, Basinas, Tsartas.......... only in the defense I don't see valuabe alternatives although I do appreciate Venetidis and Goumas...therefore we could put Katsouranis back and Karagounis on the midfield.....

But all in all we have with Dellas, Kapsis, Dabizas and Goumas 4 Centre Backs...

With Fyssas, Seitaridis and Venetidis.....only 3 Side Backs......... for a long tournament this could be a bit thin........ (Or have left any player out ?)

For the goalkeepers with Xalkias we have a good alternative......

So for my thoughts 3 factors will be important for a successful participation.....

1.) The defense.... as we do not have many alternatives.... there....

2.) The fitness of Demis....

3.) The Spirit in the squad.... (I hope the manipulative and biased Greek Sports Press does not damage it )

If the above will have a positive note....then a good Euro campaign is possible......

And additionally we have an experienced Coach...with good leadership......

PORTUGAL HERE WE COME..........

The Poll question is how will Greece do in their group, and not how we would like them to do.... ;)

Without second thought, I think we are going to be last!!!! :(

If you go by that mentality...the poll is about how greece WILL go, not how we THINK it will go.

Greece WILL come First! its not what i think, its what is going to happen!

This is a tricky situation for greece entering this competition because there are certain key elements in the team that might affect greeces chances in qualifying.

Fall out between tsartas and nikolaidis could prove fatal. Will demi also be in the right frame of might ifor tournament, now that he is involved with AEK.

Nikopolidis lack of games since being dumped by Pao during the end of the season, has clearly showed with his bad performances against Holland and Poland.

Will he be able to get his form back. There is also the question of ill feeling amongst nikopolidis and halkias in the squad. They are not talking to each other because you have one player who is currently in starting line up in Pao, but can't get a starting line up in national team.

While the other dumped by pao is still favoured by national coach for top spot. these are interesting scenarios and time will tell..................

Lets hope dabizas dosen't get a run because I personally feel his days are over, we have better young players that can fill that role and they are not renowned of scoring own goals..........

The Poll question is how will Greece do in their group, and not how we would like them to do.... ;)

Without second thought, I think we are going to be last!!!! :(

I dont' agree with you Pappou, Greece is a good team, compared to others. I think they'll at least finish better than Russia, they're team is falling apart quickly!!!!! :o

Archived