Phantis Forums

SL1-PO-R1: PAOK - Olympiakos (07-Jun-20, 19:30 EEST)

Blackhawk

You have just one final game for the bottom two teams at a neutral location. Loser gets relegated and top GSL2 team currently goes up. Or you can have a “championship game” like England has for their 2nd division. Winner goes up.

I can't see everything being void. Too many ramifications for relegation/promotion and of course European spots and the champion. I guess the same teams would be going into Europe as last season (only OFI instead of Atromitos would be different, PAO are still banned from Europe I believe) Crazy times and there is no precedent. 

This is a problem all over European football and world sport, there is no right or wrong but I just can't see leagues turning around and saying let's act like this season never happened. Obviously their priority is to get back and finish off the games somehow, if that can't happen they'll have to end the season as is and the table remains. There's going to be backlash either way, especially in Greece.

Edited by paokarag4

• 1 month later...

Suicide to play football in Greece in July with the heat. It's already 40 C in Greece.

Recovering will also be a challenge. According to famous physiologists you need at least 72 hours to recover but you need to travel too.

Playing at 02.00 in the middle of the night might be an option but professional football is played for spectators. The NOVA's of this world sure want the games to be played at prime time.

Players will drop like flies. The players of PAOK and Olympiakos will be playing 12 months without a real break. The players of the likes of OFI, Panaitolikos aren't used to play twice a weak for a long time and in the middle of the summer.

The difference is that the teams at the top have deep benches. Ferreira will be forced to do a rotation, at least after a week or so. This was always going to be a bloodbath, even without the virus. This will just ramp up the intensity even more.

On 5/16/2020 at 3:21 PM, Athens4 said:

Absolutely ridiculous. Just grant the European places to the teams and be done with it.

100% agree. No reason to play at this point. Finish up the Greek Cup if needed and be done. The soccer will be poor and the players will not be fit.

Yeah that's also true. End it where it is, let the promotion/relegation take its place. Standings are unlikely to change, unless Olympiakos manages to get us to lose another dozen or so points. Perhaps that's why the games are going on, so that they have time to push that? ?

I think pro/rel should still happen. Panionios are quite poor and will probably be deadweight for the near future.. I'd rather have PAS Gianena come up in that scenario. In addition, the 3rd division has some interesting teams that I would like to see make a push for the SuperLeague next year.

The only reason the season is continuing is so Olympiakos can add another questionable title, but mainly for AEK to take the 2nd place and the CL spot for next season. They could care less for relegation/promotion teams. 

22 hours ago, CincinnatiAek said:

I love AEK but would give them little chance of finishing second even with PAOK's current one point lead. Team is too flawed and not deep enough for a strong playoff run. 

AEK will finish second. Specially if they get their wish and foreign refs and VAR are not used during the playoffs.

• Blackhawk changed the title to SL1-PO-R1: PAOK - Olympiakos (07-Jun-20)

Man who even knows what the lineup will look like here...

--Zivkovic--

--Soares--Varela--Mihaj--Vieirinha--

--Esiti--Mauricio--

--Limnios--                 --Biseswar--

--Pelkas--Swiderski--

But I really have no clue. Five subs too so we'll see basically the entire offensive side of the team change. We also have El Kaddouri, Lamprou, Akpom there...

Damn it's been so long I completely forgot about all the suspensions to most of our back 4. Gonna be tough no doubt, taking into consideration both teams are coming out of isolation who knows what type of performances will be put in. 

• Blackhawk changed the title to SL1-PO-R1: PAOK - Olympiakos (07-Jun-20, 19:30 EEST)

Superleague confirmed that the kick off time against Olympiakos is at 19:30 EEST on June 7.

OFI has made a suggestion that all playoff games be played with fans at 20% stadium capacity, but I don't think that will be approved.

Matos might be able to play as there is a question mark if he is at his limit or not.