Phantis Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic

Antaeus7

• 2 weeks later...

Public schools the next town over from me have just been shut down as a parent has tested positive. I've read that children remain broadly asymptomatic and so are great carriers for the illness - very much in keeping with my suspicion that children are all evil.

The number of cases are gonna explode as municipalities roll out better testing methods. Not just in the US, but essentially everywhere. Scary thought.

Personally, I'm gonna steer clear from visiting the grandparents for a few weeks at least. Not worth the risk IMO. Sorry yiayia, it's phone time or no time!

Yes, but if you believe god is going to protect you....you should have no fear.

Here's someone who should know better, but she's already infected with a virus of the mind. The sad thing is that her opinion is dangerous if others take it as "advice from an expert".... (link)*

*For those who can't read Greek, she's a doctor saying that taking church communion is basically safe, because it's a ..miracle.

By the way, it shouldn't have taken a deadly virus to make society question the practice of sharing liquids, spoons, and cloth napkins. This practice should have been discontinued long time ago.

• Like it 1

Not any more sad than a "regular" person.

The thing isn't *going* to spread like wildfire. It already has. Since my last post we've found that schools in my town have been infected, and we got an email just yesterday saying that the spouse of someone who works in my office complex has it as well. We just got word that we'll be working from home for the next two weeks, in fact.

Also worrying: the biggest known source of infection in the Boston area is from a conference hosted by Biogen. Reportedly (according to the WSJ), local hospitals and authorities refused to test people who were possibly infected. It fell upon Biogen to do the legwork on tracking these peoples' movements and alerting the media.

If this is true, then we are not in good shape here, folks. South Korea got their act together immediately and that is why they are beating this. Italy did not, and now they're even more of a shithole than they were before. The US is trending towards the Italian example, not the South Korean one.

• Like it 2

Overhere everybody who can work at home should do that. Schools aren't closed yet. No sports - even on amateur-level without spectators except some fathers  - till April 1st (at least). First thing tomorrow for me is to check if I have to go to the courthouse or not as I am (or was?) supposed to represent my firm in court. Not sure if that will be cancelled too.

18 hours ago, Tzatziki said:

t's not a lot compared to his salary, but still a very nice gesture

Great gesture from Giannis! Very thoughtful and compassionate.

Makes you kind of wonder what the billionaire club owners are doing - or not doing as seems the case. That's the sad state of capitalism in the USA - it's about how it is implemented.

Here in Pennsylvania, to date, there are 35 presumptive positive cases and 6 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Total cases = 41. Of course that's going to skyrocket when they actually do some testing (how ridiculous -tragic for that matter!).

Schools are closed, some supermarkets limit store hours, the Department of Transportation suspends issuing photo IDs. And that's just the beginning.

The Guardian: Coronavirus cases in the US: latest map

Scary that we still aren't really testing. I watched both of Trump's addresses on the matter and frankly it seems like we're not really paying attention to this still. The second one in particular - how ballsy was it of the administration to claim that Google was creating a website that was going to be used nationwide, when that wasn't the intention at all? Jeez.

Here are some links to tracking sites, in case anyone wants them. The first two seem to be run by regular joes who are aggregating information. The third is by Johns Hopkins University and it is much glitzier (and has very good US-specific data, broken down by state). The JHU one also gives a more granular breakdown for individual countries but the site sometimes runs pretty slow (I'm guessing it's getting many, many more visits than the first two):

https://multimedia.scmp.com/widgets/china/wuhanvirus/#

https://coronavirus.thebaselab.com/

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

• Like it 2

This is going to cost him the election. Some on his side are still claiming this is a plot or scam by the Democrats. Like, guys, I don't particularly care for the Democrats either but you'd have to be blind, deaf, and dumb to not see what's going on.

It is very, very sad that Biden's address on this matter the other night was 50x more presidential than what the actual president managed.

• Lazarus changed the title to Coronavirus Pandemic