Jump to content
Phantis Forums
Dutch Eagle

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Finland (18 November 2019, OAKA, Athens)

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

 Of course you don't agree it's hard to see the truth when it goes against your ego. 

😊 Truth is out there. Greek is soccer country. But we will be stronger in the future. Main thing is that we are in Euro 2020!

This is the beginning!

ALL THE BEST TO GREEK SOCCER! AND COUNTRY! BYE! YOU SEE US NEXT SUMMER 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

Bye bye Manolas and sokrati 

bye bye Mitroglou as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Finlandia said:

😊 Truth is out there. Greek is soccer country. But we will be stronger in the future. Main thing is that we are in Euro 2020!

This is the beginning!

ALL THE BEST TO GREEK SOCCER! AND COUNTRY! BYE! YOU SEE US NEXT SUMMER 😄

Ok TO blue, a se mas Tora! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

we always do since when dude? we had otto for 6 years and santos for 4-6 years (estimating) during our best decade in soccer. It's only past 2-4 years after world cup losing Santos that we've been rotating coaches. Of course you don't agree it's hard to see the truth when it goes against your ego. 

Ela George it's just that deranged TO blue trolling again he's become a fin for the day lol.. 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guarantee Samaris , Mitro are gone I’m still not 100% sure if Socrates and Manolas will be part of the team. As it looks right now I don’t think they will and I think it all has to do with attitude. It’s no  coincidence that JVS said the egos and need to go and coming here for a good time is over and then the very next game Manolas and Socrates are out and all off a sudden we rack up 3 wins in a row with our most exciting football we’ve played in years.. Katsouranis said in an interview after the game on sport24Gr that finally the NT have found a coach that knows how to coach.. The Nations league can’t come soon enough for me as I can’t wait to see what this team can do.. There’s been a bunch of us in here saying since we are losing we would rather lose with our young guys. We’ve all been frustrated for way to long so let’s enjoy this and be excited for our next campaign it’s been a long time coming hopefully we keep improving going forward..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anyone have highlites or links  youtube has nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I guarantee Samaris , Mitro are gone I’m still not 100% sure if Socrates and Manolas will be part of the team. As it looks right now I don’t think they will and I think it all has to do with attitude. It’s no  coincidence that JVS said the egos and need to go and coming here for a good time is over and then the very next game Manolas and Socrates are out and all off a sudden we rack up 3 wins in a row with our most exciting football we’ve played in years.. Katsouranis said in an interview after the game on sport24Gr that finally the NT have found a coach that knows how to coach.. The Nations league can’t come soon enough for me as I can’t wait to see what this team can do.. There’s been a bunch of us in here saying since we are losing we would rather lose with our young guys. We’ve all been frustrated for way to long so let’s enjoy this and be excited for our next campaign it’s been a long time coming hopefully we keep improving going forward..

Well said J! As we have seen what Otto Rehhagel did when he took over the Greek National Football Team in 2001 during the World Cup qualifier. Patients and hard work paid dividends. I hope to God Papastathopoulos and Manolas never come back to play for Greece after their piss poor behavior in wanting to quit the national team. Regardless of the situation, you never speak out like that. And, both of those players were responsible for the poor results vs. Armenia and Liechtenstein. 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, skinny said:

does anyone have highlites or links  youtube has nothing

 

Edited by Molon Lave
  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Why the hell not? If the results keep coming why would you change? It's not about favorites, it's about results....and as long as we keep getting them I'm happy....even if Tziolis is playing :play-109292:

You said......!!!!Tzioli$$$$%$$,,,Why!!!!!!!!!!  did you say that🙃🥶😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Why the hell not? If the results keep coming why would you change? It's not about favorites, it's about results....and as long as we keep getting them I'm happy....even if Tziolis is playing :play-109292:

That’s too far man 😂 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best football we have played consistently since the 90's. There... said it! For those old enough to remember, tell me I am wrong.

  • Like it 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys Im glad we won but this will be hard... I am not sure Schip will be able to steer us to the haven of World Cup 2022. His team played really well but against minnows and average sides. Yes, Finland and Bosnia are average teams. Do you think this attractive team can hold the fort against Germany, Belgium and the likes? If we wont qualify, the next tournament will be in 2024. Schip will got the sack long before that... His successor will be maybe worse than Skibbe, Anastasiadis, Ranieri (rock bottom) and the likes...

Our talent pool is limited. Koutris was not included in Olympiacos Champions League squad while Avraam was. Think of that, a 34-year-old Avraam is better according to Martins (who is probably a better coach than Van Schip) than Koutris, a really talented NT player... A bunch of talents like Androutsos, Manthatis and Durmishaj have been loaned out they are not even in the squad at Oly! Vrousai, Vasiliadis Pavlidis are promising but I am not sure whether they will be able to dominate the game like they did now if they will play against Spain or Netherlands. Galanopoulos was really good, I am quite surprised. I cannot see where Zeca will play or whether he will play at all in the future. Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Bakakis (especially the latter) are not young any more. Possibly they wont develop really. Torosidis is finished. He said he wanted to retire after this season. Stafylidis as a centre back is error prone. And this was only Pukki now. What will he do if he will manmark/defend against Zaniolo, for example? I really hope Manolas and the likes will have some role in the future.

TL;DR: 1. Our young players have not been put to a real test yet. 2. Quite possibly we wont participate at a tournament until 2024. That would mean another five years without any real success!

  • Like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Molon Lave said:

Well said J! As we have seen what Otto Rehhagel did when he took over the Greek National Football Team in 2001 during the World Cup qualifier. Patients and hard work paid dividends. I hope to God Papastathopoulos and Manolas never come back to play for Greece after their piss poor behavior in wanting to quit the national team. Regardless of the situation, you never speak out like that. And, both of those players were responsible for the poor results vs. Armenia and Liechtenstein. 

The Armenia and Liechtenstein results wouldnt matter if that old blighter Anastasiadis wouldnt have regarded the Estonia game as a friendly match! Literally a draw would mean we would be in the playoffs. A Greek NT coach is worse than anything, an equivalent to Ranieri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The frustrating thing is a switched on manolas and sokratis would be huge for this young team at the back..can jvs trust them though?

Mitroglou is done i think, not sure he fits into the current style of play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Greekoz said:

Mitroglou is done i think, not sure he fits into the current style of play.

You actually have to hustle to play in this system so no....if he starts playing and scoring for his club he could be a bench player at best. I'm pretty sure the Schipster saw how limited the DMs were and that if he wanted to improve the transition up the middle it would have to be from the CBs....and neither Manolas or Sokratis have the ability to do that so he dumped them and paired a fast, versatile CB in Hatzidiakos with Staf, a fast, decent ball handler to lead the transition. So I doubt he will switch unless Staf becomes too much of a liability (which is a possibilty) in which case he will look for someone with similar qualities to replace him (not Manolas or Sokratis)

 

15 minutes ago, La Mendel said:

The Armenia and Liechtenstein results wouldnt matter if that old blighter Anastasiadis wouldnt have regarded the Estonia game as a friendly match! Literally a draw would mean we would be in the playoffs. A Greek NT coach is worse than anything, an equivalent to Ranieri.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda....what's done is done....look forward and stop dwelling on past failures. And just because Ranieri flopped with Greece doesn't make him a $#itty coach....same with the rest of the past managers of the NT. It just means they were a wrong fit and in most cases that the players played crappy, because the downward spiral lasted way too long to be the fault of any one coach....although I wonder if any of the previous geniuses had ever thought that having the team play "monkey in the middle" during practice would evolve into the one touch passing that we've seen the past 3 games.

 

26 minutes ago, La Mendel said:

Guys Im glad we won but this will be hard... I am not sure Schip will be able to steer us to the haven of World Cup 2022.

No offense bud, but you sound like someone hedging his bets so that he can say "I told you so" if things don't pan out. There are no guarantees and all that you can ask of the Coach and players is to give 100% and use basic common sense and proper strategies.

  • Like it 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

You actually have to hustle to play in this system so no....if he starts playing and scoring for his club he could be a bench player at best. I'm pretty sure the Schipster saw how limited the DMs were and that if he wanted to improve the transition up the middle it would have to be from the CBs....and neither Manolas or Sokratis have the ability to do that so he dumped them and paired a fast, versatile CB in Hatzidiakos with Staf, a fast, decent ball handler to lead the transition. So I doubt he will switch unless Staf becomes too much of a liability (which is a possibilty) in which case he will look for someone with similar qualities to replace him (not Manolas or Sokratis)

I was actually thinking that my be the reason for Stafyldis being at CB. To play it out effectively from the back and in turn improve the transition from the middle. 

Defensively I don’t trust him. He is error prone and if he was to be replaced by Siovas or Lampropoulos then it will be fine. As JVS likes how they play.

Both Hatzidiakos and Stafylidis are good passers of the ball. I don’t think Manolas or Sokratis are as good in this department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

 

No offense bud, but you sound like someone hedging his bets so that he can say "I told you so" if things don't pan out. There are no guarantees and all that you can ask of the Coach and players is to give 100% and use basic common sense and proper strategies.

 
Agree 100%. It's amazing our last 4 games have produced a very high level of performance and 3 wins. Fantastic signs. We still have people on here complaining. Not sure what more they want. You need to be beating the Finland's, Bosnia's and Armenia's of the group and hope to snatch a result against the big boys. We are Greece we aren't England we aren't expecting to go up against Germany/Belgium and play them off the park. If the game against Italy doesn't give fans confidence that we can match it against the big boys nothing will. 

Some people just like complaining for the sake of it, nothing is good enough. A lot of people are pissed that Bakesetas got an assist today, all I've read non-stop is "He hasn't scored or assisted he isn't good enough" Anyone who thinks he was poor after the last 2 games really needs to reassess what they consider football knowledge, he has been fine. 
He clearly isn't Fortounis but he is hard working and is adequate against opposition of this level. 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Sokratis and Manolas could be incorporated into this system I wouldn’t be mad it... just saying lol

 

love the way we’re playing but I can’t lie I feel much more at ease with Sokratis and Manolas at the back. Hatzidiakos was quite impressive today though.

poor koulouris man, he couldn’t catch a break lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

 
Agree 100%. It's amazing our last 4 games have produced a very high level of performance and 3 wins. Fantastic signs. We still have people on here complaining. Not sure what more they want. You need to be beating the Finland's, Bosnia's and Armenia's of the group and hope to snatch a result against the big boys. We are Greece we aren't England we aren't expecting to go up against Germany/Belgium and play them off the park. If the game against Italy doesn't give fans confidence that we can match it against the big boys nothing will. 

Some people just like complaining for the sake of it, nothing is good enough. A lot of people are pissed that Bakesetas got an assist today, all I've read non-stop is "He hasn't scored or assisted he isn't good enough" Anyone who thinks he was poor after the last 2 games really needs to reassess what they consider football knowledge, he has been fine. 
He clearly isn't Fortounis but he is hard working and is adequate against opposition of this level. 

Totally agree, there are still some out there totally paranoid like we are playing rubbish football and belittling some players... some people are born to sook I thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Guys Im glad we won but this will be hard... I am not sure Schip will be able to steer us to the haven of World Cup 2022. His team played really well but against minnows and average sides. Yes, Finland and Bosnia are average teams. Do you think this attractive team can hold the fort against Germany, Belgium and the likes? If we wont qualify, the next tournament will be in 2024. Schip will got the sack long before that... His successor will be maybe worse than Skibbe, Anastasiadis, Ranieri (rock bottom) and the likes...

Our talent pool is limited. Koutris was not included in Olympiacos Champions League squad while Avraam was. Think of that, a 34-year-old Avraam is better according to Martins (who is probably a better coach than Van Schip) than Koutris, a really talented NT player... A bunch of talents like Androutsos, Manthatis and Durmishaj have been loaned out they are not even in the squad at Oly! Vrousai, Vasiliadis Pavlidis are promising but I am not sure whether they will be able to dominate the game like they did now if they will play against Spain or Netherlands. Galanopoulos was really good, I am quite surprised. I cannot see where Zeca will play or whether he will play at all in the future. Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Bakakis (especially the latter) are not young any more. Possibly they wont develop really. Torosidis is finished. He said he wanted to retire after this season. Stafylidis as a centre back is error prone. And this was only Pukki now. What will he do if he will manmark/defend against Zaniolo, for example? I really hope Manolas and the likes will have some role in the future.

TL;DR: 1. Our young players have not been put to a real test yet. 2. Quite possibly we wont participate at a tournament until 2024. That would mean another five years without any real success!

No one can dominate Spain, and maybe we win our next match and its four in a row baby!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bardouuu said:

If Sokratis and Manolas could be incorporated into this system I wouldn’t be mad it... just saying lol

 

love the way we’re playing but I can’t lie I feel much more at ease with Sokratis and Manolas at the back. Hatzidiakos was quite impressive today though.

Dude, these players are done. Especially Papastathopoulos.

I ended up going to the stadium last night and it was the first time I have seen such an attacking Greece side. It was an absolute pleasure to watch. Still can’t believe how fast Limnios is.

I’m not convinced with Bakakis and would have liked to have seen Vasileiadis come on in midfield instead of Bouchalakis. 

If the EO keep out of it and the Dutchman is allowed the do his thing, then I think he will rebuild a very strong Greek national team.

  • Like it 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

II don’t think personally I would bring back Socrates and Manolas, this team has flourished without them. I do think they are good players but they are part of the big problem and there negativity has allowed this team to drop so low.. As leaders they did nothing to make this team better but rather complain and if they didn’t agree with something it would effect there play on the field.. I don’t care who you are you never go to the media and the Epo and demand a coach gets fired or you will not play again that is just classless and you put yourself above the team. Instead of supporting the young players maybe they act as an intimidating factor to certain players and I think they are to involved with who plays and who doesn’t and that won’t fly with JVS.. I would leave them off the team and move forward with this new generation of players..

Anyone that has anything negative to say about this team right now give your head a shake and think back to the style of play you were use to watching and where this team has been the last 5 years.. This football we are playing right now is even much more attractive then even in the early 2000’s where we would park the bus and squeak out 1-0 wins.. I truly believe we are on our way to building something good and a new style of football for the Greek team!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall, it seems that the first half disaster was necessary in order for us to accept a coach like JVS. To drop players like he did. The way we are playing now, I believe we definitely would have qualified.  We may not have the most technical team but we hustle and are fast.  Never thought I would use those words together in describing the team.

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Similar Content

    • By Dutch Eagle
      Armenia still has hope to qualify for the first time for a major tournament. Good opportunity for Van ‘t Schip to prepare the Ethniki under the pressure of a team that is eager to win. 
    • By Omonoia9
      MUCH tougher competition for Cyprus now, because once again, Belgium comes to town.
    • By Omonoia9
      The ethniki begin their UEFA Euro 2020 qualifiers in the Liechtensteiner capital of Vaduz
       
      PAME ETHNIKI!
       

    • By Argy
      Crucial game. Important to get an away result. 
      Last time these teams played to a 0-0 draw on June 9, 2017. 
       
    • By Omonoia9
      Cyprus begins qualifiers for UEFA Euro 2020 at home to San Marino. There aren't many instances of Cyprus being clear favorites, but this is one of them. 
    • By Argy
      Greece is in the third division of the 2018-2019 edition. Matches will be played between 6 September 2018 and 20 November 2018, followed by a subsequent League C playoff between group winners that will award one ticket to EURO 2020. 
      Greece are in the second of 4 pots for the group draw that will take place on 24 January, 2018. 
      Pot 1: Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia
      Pot 2: Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway
      Pot 3: Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland
      Pot 4: Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania
    • By Blackhawk
      Pots for EURO 2020 qualifying campaign are set. Greece is in Pot 4 along with football powerhouses such as Albania, Cyprus, Estonia, etc.:
      POT 1:  Switzerland, Holland, Portugal, England, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Poland
      POT 2:  Germany, Iceland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic
      POT 3:  Slovakia, Turkey, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Bulgaria, Israel
      POT 4:  Hungary, Romania, GREECE, Albania, Montenegro, Cyprus, Estonia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Georgia
      POT 5:  FYROM, Kosovo, Belarus, Luxembourg, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Gibraltar, Feroe Islands
      POT 6:  Latvia, Liechtenstein, Andora, Malta, San Marino
      Underlined teams ensured a play-off spot after winning Nations league groups.
      Draw will be made on December 2, 2018.
    • By Blackhawk
      UEFA Nations League format confirmed
      UEFA has confirmed the final competition rules and regulations for the UEFA Nations League, less than a year before the first match is due to be played on 6 September 2018. The new logo for the tournament was also unveiled following Wednesday's UEFA Executive Committee meeting in Nyon.
      All you need to know about the UEFA Nations League
      2018/19 UEFA Nations League: how it works
      The UEFA Nations League is a new competition that aims to ensure the continued success of national team football by replacing most friendlies with competitive matches and by allowing all nations to play against equally ranked teams.
      All 55 UEFA associations enter.
      The teams are split into four leagues, A–B–C–D, according to their position in the UEFA National Team Coefficient Rankings following the end of the European Qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (as per 11 October 2017; play-off results will not be included).
      League A will consist of the 12 top-ranked teams. The next 12 teams will be in League B, the next 15 in League C and the remaining 16 in League D.
      Leagues A and B will each comprise four groups of three teams.
      League C will contain one group of three teams and three groups of four sides; League D will be formed by four groups of four teams.
      All draw procedures to be confirmed. Matches to be played home and away between September and November 2018 (teams will play four or six games depending on the size of their group).
      The four group winners of League A will qualify for the UEFA Nations League Finals, to be held in June 2019, with two semi-finals, a third-place match and the final. One host country will be appointed by the UEFA Executive Committee in December 2018 from among the finalist teams.
      The group winners in Leagues B, C and D will gain promotion and those who finish bottom of the groups in Leagues A, B and C will be relegated.
      National teams will thus either be competing to become UEFA Nations League winners, or be fighting for promotion and to avoid relegation.
      The League Phase Draw for the UEFA Nations League will take place at the SwissTech Convention Centre in Lausanne on 24 January 2018, when the new UEFA Nations League trophy will also be unveiled.
      Qualifying for UEFA EURO 2020
      Qualifying for UEFA EURO 2020 remains largely the same (with 24 finalists in all), although the European Qualifiers will now begin in the March after a major tournament instead of immediately in September (i.e. March 2019 in this case). No team will gain auomatic qualification as hosts (there are 13 host nations in all).
      Qualifying group stage (20 teams qualify)
      The teams will be split into ten groups of five or six, and the top two from each group will qualify for the final tournament, determining the first 20 places.
      Play-offs (4 teams qualify) 
      The last four EURO places will be won through the European Qualifiers play-offs, which will be contested by the 16 UEFA Nations League group winners (i.e. the four group winners in each of the four divisions).
      Each league will have a path of its own and each path will feature two single-leg semi-finals and one single-leg final.  The winner of each path will win a ticket to UEFA EURO 2020.
      If a UEFA Nations League group winner has already qualified via the European Qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league. If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall UEFA Nations League rankings.
      http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2501767.html#/ 
       
       
    • By Tzatziki
      Οι πιθανοί αντίπαλοι του Ολυμπιακού στα προκριματικά
       

       
      Οι πιθανοί αντίπαλοι στον τρίτο προκριματικό είναι οι εξής με τα τωρινά δεδομένα: Χάποελ Μπερ Σεβά (Ισραήλ), Αστάνα (Καζακστάν), Παρτιζάν (Σερβία), Ριέκα (Κροατία), Ρόζενμποργκ (Νορβηγία), Σλάβια Πράγας (Τσεχία), Χαφναρφιόρντουρ (Ισλανδία), Βιτορούλ (Ρουμανία), Ζίλινα (Σλοβακία), Ζαλγκίρις (Λιθουανία) 

      Οι πιθανοί αντίπαλοι στα play offs είναι οι εξής με τα τωρινά δεδομένα: ΑΠΟΕΛ (Κύπρος), Μάλμε (Σουηδία), Μπάτε Μπορίσοφ (Λευκορωσία), Μάριμπορ (Σλοβενία), Καραμπάχ (Αζερμπαϊτζάν). 

      Ο Ολυμπιακός φέτος (όπως και πέρυσι) θα έχει την υψηλότερη βαθμολογία σε αυτούς τους δύο προκριματικούς, καθώς έχει συγκεντρώσει την υψηλότερη βαθμολογία (64.580) την τελευταία πενταετία, ενώ δεύτερη (και αρκετά πίσω του) είναι η Σέλτικ με 42.785 βαθμούς.
       
       
       
       
       
  • Popular Topics Now

×
×
  • Create New...