Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Finland (18 Nov. 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

I don't like the philosophy of players adapting to the coaches playing style. I prefer the coach adjusting his playing style to the player. Playing style is often limited to talent. You can't just say go play like Ronaldo does on the wing. Coaches SUPPORT Ronaldo's talent not make him play a certain style.

Pavlidis

Donis Fortounis Limnios/Fetfa

Zeca Kourbelis

Tsimikas Sokratis Manolas Bakakis

Vlacho

Staf at CB not good enough. Bakasetas not good enough. Mantalos is our bench CAM at best not on the wing. Galanopoulos is not ready.

Only players van schipp likes as regulars that are newish are Limnios and Pavlidis.

Retsos is better then Bakakis when he's fit and in form and more defensively sound. Bakakis though has stamania to bomb the field but defensive liability. Kourbelis on the right though can patch up Bakakis bombing up because Kourbelis can double as a CB so I like that. OR we could have Siovas in the back as well and possibly try Fortounis and Zeca midfield but i'm not sure how good Fortounis's long passing is to be that deep. I think he could do it though.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

4 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

Is the Finnish squad using their second string?

Pukki is their best player and he's in. The have their backup GK in, that's about it.

Quite a boring game. They are just going through the paces to get this over. Not surprised by Stafylidis making such a mistake. He has no place playing a CB. Play him at his natural position. We have other CB's that should be playing and I don't mean the two saboteurs that should never wear the NT jersey again.

I swear Bakasetas only gets selected because he's handsome. Halo effect. Similar to Tziolis. They want a good looking face to the NT to sell it. I notice in Greek news they always interview Bakasetas. Sound silly but I think that's what it is. Greek culture is very metro. Which is fine but I want results.

We won games with the new coach that we were supposed to win anyways. I'd rather win ugly then lose pretty. Santos's selection pissed everyone off because fans typically want youth but Santos plays the best players generally available and that's typically players late 20s early 30s with some exceptions. Otto did the same thing. Average tourny team age winners is 29-30. Our euro teams average age was like 30.

Mitroglou should be on the squad. He can score out of nothing and can outmuscle most cb's. Target man too for corners. Double footed. Donis Limnios on the wing can feed him with their speed.

Did we seriously let Santos go on our own free willl? IF so we should've kept him till the wheels fell off. After our best World cup performance? I doubt it though I mean chance to coach his ethnic origin + Ronaldo? No brainer for him.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Haha 1

At the end of the day we played much better then Finland and if we continue this under JVS we should continue to improve. Lets not forget how much we would complain with every other coach that we had no passing no possession no attacking boring ack pass and finally we are looking good offensively with good passing and speed but lacking some finishing. This is a new coach and he will see where the weaknesses are and adjust accordingly. Eventually with Fortounis back that will eliminate Bakasetas and I think Donis will start  be used more. Staf is okay against teams that don't really have a superstar but he will get exposed there against a team that have some stars. Lets not forget how easily Manolas got beat by the Lichtenstein player which cost us 3 points.  We have a lot to be optimistic about as we dominated this first half but one mistake cost us..  So far I like what ive see never since the Italy game and a little more tinkering of players like Retsos when healthy and fortounis should make us that much better.

Edited by J1078
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, J1078 said:

At the end of the day we played much better then Finland and if we continue this under JVS we should continue to improve. Lets not forget how much we would complain with every other coach that we had no passing no possession no attacking boring ack pass and finally we are looking good offensively with good passing and speed but lacking some finishing. This is a new coach and he will see where the weaknesses are and adjust accordingly. Eventually with Fortounis back that will eliminate Bakasetas and I think Donis will start  be used more. Staf is okay against teams that don't really have a superstar but he will get exposed there against a team that have some stars. Lets not forget how easily Manolas got beat by the Lichtenstein player which cost us 3 points.  We have a lot to be optimistic about as we dominated this first and one mistake cos us..  So far I like what ive see never since the Italy game and a little more tinkering of players like Retsos when healthy and fortounis should make us that much better.

why would Donis magically start over Bakasetas? He's on the bench he can play now. 

• Lazarus changed the title to Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Finland (18 Nov. 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic