Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - January 2020

Blackhawk

And now rumors are back re: Stafylidis. Makes no sense unless we get rid of Giannoulis. And even then...kind of silly. I'd be more fine with this if we pick him up in the summer after his market value drops more.

The STIPIKI is garbage though. I would rather Mihaj in the middle over him.

I really doubt we'll pick anyone up, considering how the technical director basically said that we had too many players already. Even cutting the players Ferreira doesn't like, means any new players would still need to find their way into a club that already has an overfull set of starters.

Stafylidis would be a great addition to the team but there is no point bringing him if you're not going to start him over Giannoulis.  Why would he be satisfied with being a rotation or backup player ?  He can also play multiple positions which is always a big plus.

I'm sure if Giannoulis is sold Stafylidis will be first choice but first Giannoulis would need to be sold and second Stafylidis would want to come to PAOK which I'm not sure he does.  Last summer was the time for him to make the move (he was a free agent) and then he went and signed a new 4 year contract which really destroys our bargaining position.

• Like it 1

I must be the only one who rates poor old Omar. He isn't flashy but he is an all round solid player. Hard working, completes passes, has good touch/control and he moves to the right places. He's not going to beat 3 players and score a goal of the season contender but I would be happy to keep him around. He is the type of player you want in big games as he usually makes the right decision and can draw a foul to take the heat off. And he is usually one of our better players in derbies and European matches.

If we lose El Kaddouri and Stoch, we might somehow keep Lamprou. For me, that's an easy trade-off (though I'd keep Stoch - I just really want El Kaddouri out).

I allow myself every once in a while to get excited about El Kaddouri ("omg he's so good as a midfielder!") and then it just all goes to s%$#!. We can do better. Why be so set to keep a guy who's average at best?

How much better do you think we can get? We have to keep in mind we are playing in Greece, we aren't going to get a superstar to come across. This is a guy who game at 26-27 who was a Serie A starter. For Greece I'd say that's a pretty decent signing. 
He has something that is incredibly important, discipline.  It's the reason Lamprou doesn't get a game, it's the question mark over Jaba's game and the same with Stoch. Why do you think Limnios plays? Now I know you can't have a team full of hard workers with no flair and minimal attacking ability but I'm just not in a huge hurry to get him out the door.  

I don't want El Kaddouri starting on the wing against Atromitos, Lamia etc that's when he looks poor. In the big games he stands up and is more suited to those types of games and for me that's a sign of a good player. 

I get what you’re saying @paokarag4 about El Khaddouri.  He has great technique and balance as well as decision making.  He doesn’t sell the ball cheaply.  All signs of a quality player.  Still I wouldn’t be fussed if he left even if I prefer he stays.

I think what kills him (and I see this with lots of players) is he can’t lock a position down.  He doesn’t have the run to be a 6 or an 8 and he doesn’t quite have the dribble and cross to be a winger.  He doesn’t score enough to play up front consistently.  Regardless, I still think he’s a great option to have and can turn a game, I just don’t think he’s a lock for a starting position every game.

I don’t think he really wants to in Greece and he seems to lose interest in playing week in week out.  It’s like he’s bored with most games ... which I can understand ... and really only switches on for the bigger contests.  Ideally, we find a similar quality player that is more motivated and is a bit more hungry but that’s easier said than done.

• Like it 1

What makes you think Lamprou is not disciplined enough mate?
His stints at Iraklis and Panionios showed that he is far more than capable of handling this league.

His stint at Fortuna Sittard proved he can be better than this villager's league.

I will agree with Fereira. You have way too many attacking orientated midfielders/wingers right now, especially with vierinha returning to these positions.

Limnios, Vierinha, Biseswar, Pelkas, Jaba, Lamprou, Stoch, El Kaddouri

You can't really rotate these 8 players properly, especially in only 2 competitions. 

Also I really don't understand why on earth did Ergys Kace get loaned out for Esiti to stay in the roster. Very heavy body for a team that wants to play such fast football. Clearly managerial tranasfer.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

I would still say our actual central midfield is weak, look at how paok midfield is chocked against Europeans teams, or stronger greek teams. Our central midfield cant really keep the ball.

Edited by Nilaul
  • Like it 1

El Kaddouri - He is one of the best players on the roster. I would say he's pretty consistent, but unfortunately he is lacking some skills you guys mentioned and are crucial to each position. The fact he can play 4-5 different positions shows his quality. To me, the most disturbing thing is he cannot score and considering his height I would expect him to score from set pieces. If he were able to score from these, he would give so much more to the team. Otherwise, tactically is the best player we have. That's why both Lucescu and Fereira love him. Lastly, he's prone to injuries, so basically he never gets a decent run of games. That being said, if he's on the bench I feel secure. No matter who gets injured/tired/needs to be subbed (Biseswar, Pelkas, Limnios, Vieirinha, Misic, Mauricio etc) he is the one who can stand up and replace adequately all our midfielders and attacking midfielders.

Kace - he's good for an average Greek team. Nothing more than that. We lost lots of time trying Kace (even this summer with Fereira).

Stoch - I would absolutely get rid of him and play Lambrou instead. Not that I don't like the guy. Just no good for the team or him to not make it even to the bench for most games. We pay serious $$ for nothing and he's 30 years old. He should be somewhere being a starter. From what I saw during the summer and the few games he got to play, he's still in a summer training mode. One speed slower than everyone else, struggling to do anything. With his quality as a player, that means he's not even close to be physically fit.

@Nilaul we play with two midfielders. Basically they have to be superhumans, otherwise we cannot compete in European games. Those two positions are the toughest. They need to be doing everything close to perfect. They are not allowed to make mistakes (we lose the ball, counter-attack, concede goal), they need to be fast and defensively strong, they are not supposed to get tired, when we defend they need to be asap close to our box and when attacking they need to be asap close and often inside opponent's box. They need to have speed when we steal the ball and counter-attacking, likewise when we lose the ball and need to defend. They need to have vision, be able to score and give assists. Midfielders with no goals or assists are weak link for a team. They need to be able to score with a shot outside the box. Also, strong when the ball is up in the air. They are involved in many crucial header situations and they should be able to score and defend perfectly set pieces. The list is endless...

And what I mentioned is the reason it's easy to find a good winger, but not a good central midfielder. And if you consider our midfielders, they are all lacking some of these characteristics. This year Misic is by far the best midfielder exactly because he's doing most of the above at a high level. Esiti is lacking many of them and that's why he cannot play especially against most Greek teams, Augusto he's very good in some but also lacking some, and Mauricio is not at the level of Misic' performance yet (hopefully he will improve).

Guys you can Analyze for days all I know is 9/10 paoktzides would be happy as to see El Khadouri go and I am one of 9!. 

Money could be spend on a player like Giannoulis, you guys keep adding value to the big leagues, but good players exist out their! 

Look at Prijovic, Swiderski, Matos, Ignasson we never heard of any of them until they came to Paok,  let Elkahdouri go back go Italy and leave us alone. For me he has never done anything for us and stresses me out everytime he plays for us! 

Edited by PAOKSYD

It's a different story to say he's not that great (that would be only Misic and Giannoulis this year) and it's a different story to want him to leave the team in January. I'm not in love with El Kaddouri, I just know what he can give to the team and I doubt if he leaves we'll find a replacement.

This year Biseswar's performance is unfortunately abysmal and that's the main reason our team struggled in many games. Pelkas is also not at his best, he's rather mediocre as well. Having El Kaddouri gives more options.

That being said, if they manage to sell El Kaddouri in summer and get a better version of him that would be IDEAL! We paid to buy him, so ideally we will get some of that $$ back to get rid of him.

• Like it 1

As fans we can only judge on what we see during 90mins but at the end of the day the manager considers other factors like discipline, off the ball positioning, effort/intensity at every training session and effectiveness of following instructions. Lusescu and Abel obviously consider these factors and therefore consider El Kaddouri useful and play him.

I’m personally neither here or there about El Kaddouri but we should definitely sell him if a reasonable offer comes about.

Edited by SydneyPAOK

14 hours ago, PAOKSYD said:

Yiankos do you expect us to win every match 5-1? It's not possible to do that. I isn't understand what role ElKhadouri had played this season or last for you to be he's fan boy  

No man, I don't expect 5-1 wins. My point is that this year Biseswar literally destroyed plenty of our games and we struggled because of his poor form. Same goes with Pelkas. But don't get me wrong here, I don't imply I want them to leave either. Just El Kaddouri is a consistent player. He plays 6 or 7 every single game. The other two can go down to 3 or 4 and that's a pity.

My main question for you is, do you think El Kaddouri's departure will make our team better? Because I'm pretty sure whoever is going to come as a replacement won't be showing anything as he would need time to adjust (best example Misic). Now, if the money comes, for sure go ahead and sell him. I'm not his fan boy. I'm fan of PAOK and I want the best for my team. If you are El Kaddouri's "hater" then you should ask yourself why and if that "helps" the team.

• Like it 1