Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - January 2020

Blackhawk

Kyriakos old man just adding some fuel to the Papadopoulos fire which has burnt for so long. Not sure how his body would hold up anymore, this has gone from a no brainer a few years ago to a 50-50 IMO. Given he would be coming on a free transfer probably worth the risk. Again could just be his Dad potentially trying to jack up the price of his new contract wherever it maybe. 

https://www.novasports.gr/podosfairo/super_league/article/1699470/ston_paok_kai_me_ta_misa_lefta

Maybe even a 30-70, not in his favor. I'm ambivalent on the idea, but I haven't seen him play in a long time (though it seems he's only played twice this season anyway, so I haven't missed much). I heard that his contract was 2.5mm a year, so even "με τα μισά λεφτά" I think he's more than we'd be willing on spending. 700k? Sure!

That said, he is/was a phenomenally talented player and is still - shockingly! - "only" 27. I keep forgetting how young he was when he was getting all those plaudits.

Right now I don’t want Kyriakos at PAOK.  When you’re in the position we are in now where we need to win every game you can’t afford to risk on a player that can’t be relied on.  Add to that his wages will be very high and you have all the elements for a bad outcome.  Now if let’s say he’d just played a full season then that would be a different story.  But he’s played in 2 games all season.  So I’m going to pay a guy who’s played 2 games all season and is very injury prone close to if not the highest wages in the team ?  It’s just crazy talk.

The only way (and this would never happen) I’d sign Kyriakos would be on a base of say 500K and pay him significant bonuses if he plays.  But even so, he’d be taking up a slot and you could never plan around him.  I don’t see the sense in signing him as a luxury player.  By luxury I mean it’s great when he’s match fit but I can never be sure.

One other thing.  It’s not the pre Savvidis days where we couldn’t afford players.  Now if we want we can sign players for multiple millions, and considering that, I’m sure there are better and cheaper options out there.

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 2

I feel like we might be getting Bouzoukis from Panathinaikos. Savadis likes him, Vieirinha is probably insisting.

Don't think Jaba is going anywhere, not with his injury, hell be ready to play again mid February, and he'll probably wont be match fit for a while. So teams might not be interested in buying him.

Edited by Nilaul

I don't want Papadopoulos or Bouzoukis at PAOK. Papadopoulos tuned us down before and now when things are tough he comes knocking on the door. As it is he would come to us to be a bench player. Not sure that's what he wants, and also he costs too much money just to sit on the bench.

As for Bouzoukis, I don't see any reason getting another average quality player on the team. We have been burned before fulfilling the Savidis (Ivan & George) wet dreams.

I think when it comes to GKs, you need to jump on the first decent offer you get. There are many, many solid goalkeepers out there who won't break the bank. I like the guy but he should also have the chance to get paid.

I don't think there's a single player on our roster who will go for the buy out. That number is just there to give us a little bit of security and to ensure teams come at us with more reasonable offers. If a team were to offer 4-5 million for either player, I think we'd take it.

Now, whether or not the actual player will want to go to Turkey is another matter...

If Olympiacos can sell players like Samaris and Retsos for 10 and 20 million, then we’d be silly to settle for 5 for Giannoulis and Limnios.

Giannoulis has been a surprise, more, a revelation.  When we got him last season as backup for Vierinha I think we all expected he’d be replaced before too long.  Now, he’s locked the position down and to my surprise I’m comfortable with him being LB.  But more important, he’s improving.  What’s his ceiling ?  If we were in say Holland or some other footballing country where players are produced like a production line then I wouldn’t be fussed with selling him but I ask how easy would it be to replace Giannoulis.  You sell him for say 5, spend 2 or 3 on a replacement and by the time you factor in wages you’ve broken even.  Big deal.  Let’s keep him or sell for something outrageous.  Something Olympiacos to their credit excel at.  And as for us agreeing to these buyout clauses, it’s brain dead.

Similar applies to Limnion who has been surprising so far this season.  I pictured him as backup to Jaba and it’s the other way around.

• Like it 1

Olympiakos was selling players who had the brand name recognition gifted from involvement in the Champions League. We can't even make it to the EL. While I think our guys are every bit as good - better, even - than those whiny Olympiakos babies, what really matters is what the market wants. We're also not getting offers from teams like Benfica or Leverkusen (and I don't count Staf on that last part). Or Roma, in Manolas' case.

Of the two, the one I'd *really* hold on to is Giannoulis. Apart from his pathetic performance in the first Ajax team, I've been quite happy with him. Pray for no injuries.

Ο Γιαννούλης παίζει καλύτερα, αλλά ο Λημνιός είναι ακόμα πολύ μικρός. Η ηλικία του και η θέση του ανεβάζουν τα λεφτά. Πρέπει να χτίσουμε στην πώληση Πρίγιοβιτς. Διψήφιο νούμερο οπωσδήποτε. Πρέπει επιτέλους να πάμε μπροστά σαν ομάδα.

They played meaningless games against second-rate opponents. Let's not overreact here.

I watched the Armenia game - we can still barely string two passes together. This is NOT a good team, in spite of what the fanboys will tell you.

20 hours ago, Alphonse said:

The NT is clearly on the way up mate

There is no doubt they made a step in the right direction, but they are still not able to qualify to any tournaments. Let's face it we did not make mediocre and diluted tournament (EURO 2020). That's a definition of a team that sucks. Just look at the teams that made it to that tournament and also teams that still have a chance to make it (Kosovo, North Macedonia, etc.). Like pash said we won two meaningless games against  weak teams.

• Thanks 1