Jump to content
Phantis Forums
ausgreek

Euro 2020 Group J - Italy vs Greece (12 Oct. 2019, Stadio Olimpico, Rome)

Recommended Posts

The Ethniki must assert their authority early in the match I believe, to shake the Romantics off their game, Mantalos should hack one of their forwards in front of the referee, around mid-pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game is at the Olimpico in Rome  - 13/10/2019.

While we may be without Soc and Manolas, it will be a huge opportunity for Greece players against one of the top football nations. I hope to see a hungry, motivated team with something to prove, and try to take it up to Italy. At least try and make them earn it.

  • Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its most definitely going to be interesting, I don't care if we lose as long as I see some passion and some good opportunities being created. Im hoping for a glimpse of hope for the future lol

  • Like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's exciting the prospect of young players coming through like Pavlidis, Vrousai, Donis & Kouloura up front along with Retsos!!!!!!! Hatzi, Giannoulis and Dioudis among others at the back. Like the idea of Mantalos as AM while Fortounis is out (- future skipper). Just as exciting as the new A League season starting with Kone at the Mighty Western Utd fc! Maaate! Wet the pants stuff na poume.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are arguably missing our 3 best players in Sokratis, Manolas and Fortounis. I'm unhappy with the timing of the omissions, but I like the rest of the callups and I'm excited to see the product. Will be more excited if Donis and Fetfa get the start, as they are the only difference makers on the team in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Arg, you parochial, passionate, parnassian perspicacious power ranger, going on the last two matches, I would go with Pavlidis, Fetfa and Masouras as arguably (in agreeance) our best three. I don't feel we will miss those CB's, although we do miss that AM. Now remember, we were calling for him for a while now, he has answered the call, - our man Retsos!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ausgreek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Argy said:

We are arguably missing our 3 best players in Sokratis, Manolas and Fortounis. I'm unhappy with the timing of the omissions, but I like the rest of the callups and I'm excited to see the product. Will be more excited if Donis and Fetfa get the start, as they are the only difference makers on the team in my opinion. 

serious question, why all the praise for donis? I keep reading people asking for him and rating him highly, I haven't actually watched him play but it doesn't seem like he's killing it in Germany or any of the teams he played with in the last couple of years. The only impressive thing I can identify is his Juventus upbringing. I really would like this question answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on another note, Barkas broke his finger in training, so he's out for the next two matches which will surely be given to vlachodimos, which honestly I don't understand why he's not our primary keeper anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bardouuu said:

serious question, why all the praise for donis? I keep reading people asking for him and rating him highly, I haven't actually watched him play but it doesn't seem like he's killing it in Germany or any of the teams he played with in the last couple of years. The only impressive thing I can identify is his Juventus upbringing. I really would like this question answered.

He was good at Nice, had some good spurts at Stuttgart and now is at Reims. In the context of our forward situation, no one has the pace and prowess of Donis other than Fetfa on a good day, but they are different players. The fact that he plays and is developing abroad is postive. Injuries have not helped his case. You are right, however, that he hasn't necessarily earned the praise. Remember, this is all within the Greek NT context, and no present forward has really shown more promise at U23. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Argy said:

He was good at Nice, had some good spurts at Stuttgart and now is at Reims. In the context of our forward situation, no one has the pace and prowess of Donis other than Fetfa on a good day, but they are different players. The fact that he plays and is developing abroad is postive. Injuries have not helped his case. You are right, however, that he hasn't necessarily earned the praise. Remember, this is all within the Greek NT context, and no present forward has really shown more promise at U23. 

I see, I feel like Pavlidis form has earned himself a starting spot over donis. I think fetfa and donis will click well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fetfa fortounis and donis would be a great front 3 and we've never seen it with a striker which people are saying Pavlidis is good

  • Like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donis has shown flashes of brilliance, he is talented but needs to be more consistent.  We do not have anyone like him, if you see some of his highlights, you can see how quick he is.  He has scored some impressive goals against Bayern.

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bardouuu said:

on another note, Barkas broke his finger in training, so he's out for the next two matches which will surely be given to vlachodimos, which honestly I don't understand why he's not our primary keeper anyway.

The injury problem with the NT is out of control. Anyways I would like to see Vlachodimos get some match time and be our regular goalie going forward after all the EPO spent alot of time getting him to commit to the Ethniki. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bardouuu said:

on another note, Barkas broke his finger in training, so he's out for the next two matches which will surely be given to vlachodimos, which honestly I don't understand why he's not our primary keeper anyway.

Now thats some good news. I think Vlachodimos should be our standard keeper. But perhaps Van Schip will go now with Dioudis or Paschalakis.

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

The injury problem with the NT is out of control. Anyways I would like to see Vlachodimos get some match time and be our regular goalie going forward after all the EPO spent alot of time getting him to commit to the Ethniki. 

EPO did spend a lot of time to secure his services but our idiotic head coaches often chose nobodies like Barkas and Paschalakis in the last year. Seriously, Anastasiadis and van Schip ought to be certified. (Do you remember when Ranieri chose Mantalos instead of Maniatis?)

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, La Mendel said:

EPO did spend a lot of time to secure his services but our idiotic head coaches often chose nobodies like Barkas and Paschalakis in the last year. Seriously, Anastasiadis and van Schip ought to be certified. (Do you remember when Ranieri chose Mantalos instead of Maniatis?)

Yes, they were really going hard after him and they bring him to the NT and he hasn't played since the Bosnia game? I don't get it, Barkas wasn't to blame vs Italy as he was bombarded and made some excellent saves but he shouldn't have got start vs Finland and Liechtenstein. 

As for Ranieri we are all aware how he sabotaged the NT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siovas, Mantalos Kourbelis or Stafylidis for captain? Maybe Siovas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mantalos.

Paschalakis is favored to start in goals but there has been several conflicting reports on how we start 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He may even do his surprise 3 5 2 / 5 3 2 formation. I hope he pulls that one out of the bag. 

Prizes on the day: a complimentary brush, comb, mirror gel and man bag. Back here in Australie -(French) we only get the meat raffle at the rsl or catholic club.

Edited by ausgreek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alphonse said:

Mantalos.

Paschalakis is favored to start in goals but there has been several conflicting reports on how we start 

Somebody should set fire to Van Schip if that is true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess this guy will be sacked after some more disastrous results and eight or ten months. Then EPO will perhaps try to find a proper head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vant Schip wants to make people keep on guessing. All these reports are changing by the day. Perhaps he is playing mind games...

The keeper position is the least of our problems. Our problems are at fullback and midfield. 

Edited by Dean97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greece needs a win more than Italy needs a win. Italy will qualify regardless. If we draw or lose then we are out mathematically. So while the score is 0-0, we should approach this match as do or die and try and win it. Any winning score will do. Even 1-0, with just 1 attempt on goal would do.

Edited by kbxk508

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alphonse said:

Paschalakis is favored to start in goals but there has been several conflicting reports on how we start 

I think this is mainly PAOK press pushing for their boy....he's lost his place at PAOK so I don't think he will be starting. None of our keepers can be considered as #1 yet and the coach has shown very early that he is open to new players which is a good thing. I think the Schipster is putting a lot of thought into these games, looking towards the future, which is what is needed. Let him have a go, it can't get any worse than what it has been recently. 

 

1 hour ago, kbxk508 said:

Greece needs a win more than Italy needs a win. Italy will qualify regardless. If we draw or lose then we are out mathematically. So while the score is 0-0, we should approach this match as do or die and try and win it. Any winning score will do. Even 1-0, with just 1 attempt on goal would do.

I appreciate your optimism and all but forget about qualification as a motivation....we're not making it....but the players should be approaching every official match in this manner when they put on the NT jersey. This is the why we have been getting beat by the Faroes and Armenia, etc. and that's the aspect of the game the NT needs to recover...they goota hate to lose first and then want to win.

Let's be realistic but don't be like this guy:

3 hours ago, La Mendel said:

I guess this guy will be sacked after some more disastrous results and eight or ten months. Then EPO will perhaps try to find a proper head coach.

(No offense La Mendel)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to approach this as we have entered our rebuild and it might get worse before it gets better as right now we are in the stage of experimenting with different players and building a new foundation and a new style of play and all of this will take time.. I’m actually looking forward to seeing new faces and to see if the coach can get these guys at a young age to have that fighting spirit and passion.. I think they should look at adding speed as much as possible and a good blend of players that compliment each other. Forget the Euros this tournament is done as it’s more important now to see what you have and who you can move forward with.. I truly think Socrates, Manolas and Toro are a big problem in the dressing room with there Egos. I would like to see Manolas back at some point but only if the team is ready to actually compete for a spot in the next tournament. The entire mindset with these players need to change. So far I think the coach has the right idea so let’s hope his vision of what he wants actually works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...