Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Liechtenstein (8 September 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

nasl

2 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Full of all Americans no Canadians.. 

Sort of like the Stanley cup champion St. Louis blues who had 18 of 20 Canadians? But you know, don’t let facts and a little research get in the way before you type. Have a great night. 

5 minutes ago, Omonoia9 said:

Group J Standings(again purely for entertainment purposes)

Italy-18

Finland-12

Armenia-9

Bosnia-Herzegovina-7

Greece-5

Liechtenstein-1

Just unimaginable to see us in 5th reminiscent of the 2016 European qualification. Armenia is a team on the rise they played well vs Italy and today vs Bosnia. I hope they get 2nd place. 

1 minute ago, Jimmyp said:

Sort of like the Stanley cup champion St. Louis blues who had 18 of 20 Canadians? But you know, don’t let facts and a little research get in the way before you type. Have a great night. 

Ya just like Finland owning the canadien men women's a might JRs teams. ? 

2 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Ya just like Finland owning the canadien men women's a might JRs teams. ? 

As a massive hockey fan myself, neither of you are making any sense. 

5 hours ago, Soprano76 said:

This team is gobshite. Like I said in the Finland match thread, just get 11 Mohameds from the refugee camps in Lesvos and you will get a better performance. 

This is probably true. On a more realistic front I always suggested that England would do better if they didn't pick the Rooneys of the world and instead take the slightly lower players who don't make the millions but really want to shine on the international stage. It's the same reason weak teams sometimes do well as they give it their all. 

I said during the Finnish game that the big back three should call it quits (or not be invited back). 

If you want to change the culture of this team then you go with a clean slate and go with youth who don't think GREEK futbol. 

Ever game is the same, no skill, no speed - only back passes, safe plays and long balls and maybe you get a lucky header. 

Watch the other games, watch how they play as a team and can do all the basics. Move the ball, make passes, collect passes, make the smart play and be in the game from the start. 

Someone should get 20 Greeks from the diaspora and challenge the national team. I like their chances.

Good for Liechenstien by the way

Hope they party all night with their result. 

5 hours ago, Argy said:

Fetfa was pulled for nothing. He had just come off one of the best plays in the game and almost scoring. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't see the field vs Italy or Bosnia. 

Is Vrousai the new Bakasetas?

As per my match comments, Fetfa was the only one that actually created chances so why on earth he was subbed I dont know... we put Pavlidis in Vrousai's spot, I just didnt get it. Vrousai... needs more time, given the situation, would have put Fetfa in the middle or thrown Pelkas on in his place

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

I won’t argue anymore. You won’t even say where you’re from. Enjoy. 

I’m not arguing, I just can’t see how any Greek comes in here after the NT ties Lichtenstein and that ends our chances of qualifying for the Euros and laughs about like you and an other poster have done over the last two games. All of us here are gutted as @J1078 said when the Ethniki performs like this. I have criticized the team, the coach and the EPO for these unacceptable performances but I don’t find it amusing just as I don’t think any true Italian found it funny when they were eliminated from the World Cup by Sweden they were irate and stunned. 

The NT will regroup we are a footballing nation and it’s not acceptable to be missing major tournaments and have these results. PA ME  ?? the greatest kratos on Gods green Earth!

• Like it 1

I couldn’t bear to read all these replies. After that equalizer I didn’t wanna ready anything on the forum until now. I’m reading a good amount of stupidity so I’ll just stop reading and say this:

if if you follow my posts you’ll know I’m the most optimistic fan and give the team the benefit of the doubt every single game, because the team that I loved somehow managed miracles quite often in the past.

todays game was laughable. I was satisfied with the starting lineup. I can not blame the coach that our players couldn’t finish a damn play or make a decent pass in the box. I know we have talent so I’m gonna have to say that this young team just needs time. However this is a game we should have won in our sleep. This is a game that shouldn’t even require a coaches guidance. 

Obviously we’ve had some bad luck in the loss of Fortounis but we can’t depend on one player for the entire squad.

as a natural optimist I will point out some positives that I saw. Sokratis showed some serious heart through his frustration at the end of the game basically doing the midfields job for them. Also we are finally giving young players opportunities to develop and build chemistry with the national team. Also we finally confirmed what all of us seemed to know that fetfa is a valuable asset to this team and I hope he will continue to be called up. Also, I’m glad they put us out of our misery early. At least now we know for sure we’re out of the euro and can focus on using these games to improve the team and prepare for the WC.

i have shed tears over past loses for this team, like our loss to Costa Rica in the World Cup. I literally called off work to watch the Finland game. I love this team but what I saw today and these past few games is indeed laughable. It’s not a laugh of joy it’s just a laugh of disbelief. It almost feels like someone is playing a joke on us with these performances. Just because they laugh doesn’t mean they’re not hurting. But we need to remain positive and take action towards things we can control which at this point is our participation in the next WC. 

• Like it 3

Performance of our guys in this rezili: Barkas 0 - Bakakis 5, Manolas 5.5, Papastathopoulos 6, Tsimikas 5 - Samaris 4, Vrousai 5, Bouchalakis 4.5 (Zeca 5.5) - Masouras 6 (Giannoulis 0), Koulouris 5, Fetfatzidis 5.5 (Pavlidis 4).

Another lacklustre production from the Ethniki. Actually, they wernt THAT bad, they created a couple of chances and Sokratis did seem to be frustrated after the equalizer of Liechtenstein. Samaris was very average though, and a sloppy pass by him led to the Salanovic goal.

On Van Schip (both games): His starting elevens were mostly quite good yet the coach made strange decisions. Zeca played half an hour in these two games while Bouchalakis Kourbelis Samaris were in the starting XI at least on one occasion. Mitroglou was not called up although he is obviously in good form (2 goals in 2 matches). Also Donis wasnt picked. They scored our goals in the away game against Liechtenstein. Vlachodimos (Benfica keeper) was benched in favor of Barkas. These coaches are literally more stupid than Skibbe. Ange A and Van Schip. This was the FIFTH occasion Vlachodimos sat on the bench out of the last NINE games! Clueless idiotic coaches have chosen the likes of Barkas and Paschalakis (no joke) again and again. One of our best players has served as a backup keeper, this is mind blowing!

6 hours ago, jarvis1981 said:

This is probably true. On a more realistic front I always suggested that England would do better if they didn't pick the Rooneys of the world and instead take the slightly lower players who don't make the millions but really want to shine on the international stage. It's the same reason weak teams sometimes do well as they give it their all. 

I said during the Finnish game that the big back three should call it quits (or not be invited back). 

If you want to change the culture of this team then you go with a clean slate and go with youth who don't think GREEK futbol. 

Ever game is the same, no skill, no speed - only back passes, safe plays and long balls and maybe you get a lucky header. 

Watch the other games, watch how they play as a team and can do all the basics. Move the ball, make passes, collect passes, make the smart play and be in the game from the start. 

Someone should get 20 Greeks from the diaspora and challenge the national team. I like their chances.

Good for Liechenstien by the way

Hope they party all night with their result. 

In reality the team from the diaspora may seriously end up as winners. 

Edited by ausgreek

2 hours ago, La Mendel said:

On Van Schip (both games): His starting elevens were mostly quite good yet the coach made strange decisions.

We are in agreement.

With all the respect to Koulouris he is not as good as Mitroglou in any aspect of his game.

The Samaris, Bouxalakis duo is way to slow in both running and flow of game. However, Bouvalakis has good long ball but Samaris offers nothing.

Voursay showed nothing special; I am sure he has talent but need to prove it; Limnios has seed and experience.

Bakakis, as this point is twice the player that Toro is.

I don't know if Donis was injured but I don't see how he was not called up. He is way too good.

• Like it 1

Van Schip stated the real problem in one of his interviews " Players play for Greece to visit family" nobody takes this team seriously except a few players and it shows on the pitch, no urgency no heart. The lack of professionalism is ridiculous reminds me of when players from rival teams PAO vs Oly etc  wouldn't like each other and would effect result and player selections until Otto came in... 

I dont trust EPO they are so corrupt in general and the players must know it. That is why players are never developed asits a business... but if we miss enough tournaments maybe we will see a change when they money stops coming in.  

12 hours ago, ausgreek said:

I think I will watch replay of the last grand final Sydney Olympic won..great days!

Where is that old footage from the 80’s when there was a pitch invasion and you see a fan with a box or something being held over his head.  Those were the days.

• Like it 1

This was a match we should have won without a coach, won it with our reserves. I cannot believe a team of professionals couldn't achieve a result. You'd think the introduction of a new coach would give players motivation. Instead, and I'll quote the commentator our attack was laboured. Not one decent dribble in 90 minutes.

I anticipate that there will be some serious omissions vs Italy and more new faces in the squad.

Realistically we are a long shot for the WC 2022, and it may be another 5 years before we make a major tournament again.

Edited by kbxk508

28 minutes ago, Molon Lave said:

Go tell the city council of Toronto to rename the stadium.

If Rogers has to have their name on that, AND the arena in Vancouver, AND the arena in Edmonton, can they at least call it the Rogers Skydome? Problem solved.

4 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

Realistically we are a long shot for the WC 2022, and it may be another 5 years before we make a major tournament again.

This statement is bang on. I'm thinking more like 10 yrs. 

but next World Cup qualifying is going to be harder.  It's not been finalized yet but it looks like it's going to be 10 groups. Only the group winners qualify and the 10 2nd place finishers will join the 2 top teams from the nations league. For a playoff for only 3 teams. Europe only has 13 spots  

Meaning Greece is in league C so it won't matter if we finish 1st. We are so low in rankings we will never be a top 2. 

Greece keeps going down in FIFA rankings so next qualifying we will be in pot 5 probably and get a hard group.

we won't qualify boys lol

Edited by Torontoblue

I agree i think this team is way to damaged and we keep falling further and further it will be next to impossible for us to qualify for 2022.. There is no easy fix for this team it needs to be torn down front the top and that needs to start with the Epo, then the team needs to start looking at the youth as this generation of players can’t cut it.. The Epo needs to start drilling it in to players  at a young age about the NT... Our development of players is so weak meanwhile other countries like Portugal develop there players at a young age, with great training facilities and clear cut plan.. This core of players don’t have the heart or work ethic and don’t bleed for the NT with the exception of a few.. In regards to 2022 we will be in a ridiculously hard group due to how low in the rankings we have fallen and our only hope is the nations league and that is not even realistic at this point. I honestly can’t see how the NT gets out of this as they keep looking for band-aid fixes and that’s why it will take years to correct this..

I know most of us are not a fan of this coach but when you listen to his post game press conference he is very logical and I like what he had to say.. He understands this team is broken and changes need to be made and it will be a long process..

• Like it 2

57 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

This statement is bang on. I'm thinking more like 10 yrs. 

but next World Cup qualifying is going to be harder.  It's not been finalized yet but it looks like it's going to be 10 groups. Only the group winners qualify and the 10 2nd place finishers will join the 2 top teams from the nations league. For a playoff for only 3 teams. Europe only has 13 spots  

Meaning Greece is in league C so it won't matter if we finish 1st. We are so low in rankings we will never be a top 2. 

Greece keeps going down in FIFA rankings so next qualifying we will be in pot 5 probably and get a hard group.

we won't qualify boys lol

Definitely it's harder we play with the real football nations in Europe not like in Cream puff CONCACAF we're there boys and a certain country can't qualify for decades ? and hasn't even reached the hex since 98 again ? 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I agree i think this team is way to damaged and we keep falling further and further it will be next to impossible for us to qualify for 2022.. There is no easy fix for this team it needs to be torn down front the top and that needs to start with the Epo, then the team needs to start looking at the youth as this generation of players can’t cut it.. The Epo needs to start drilling it in to players  at a young age about the NT... Our development of players is so weak meanwhile other countries like Portugal develop there players at a young age, with great training facilities and clear cut plan.. This core of players don’t have the heart or work ethic and don’t bleed for the NT with the exception of a few.. In regards to 2022 we will be in a ridiculously hard group due to how low in the rankings we have fallen and our only hope is the nations league and that is not even realistic at this point. I honestly can’t see how the NT gets out of this as they keep looking for band-aid fixes and that’s why it will take years to correct this..

The EPO are to blame for not extending Santos he wanted to stay back then. He speaks the language loves Greece and had a strategy at all levels but no the EPO forced him out and then goes and helps Portugal win there first major tournament Euro  2016. Then the EPO hire the joker Ranieri to replace him and the carousel of coaches that have since followed. Bravo EPO! 

• Like it 1

• Lazarus changed the title to Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Liechtenstein (8 September 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic