Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Finland vs Greece (5 September 2019, Ratinan Stadium, Tampere)

Alphonse

15 hours ago, Dean97 said:

It’s actually very sad. We are playing worse I think than the Euro 2016 qualifiers. Or maybe the same. This group don’t work well together and I don’t know why. There is no cohesion. They are like individuals. We can’t be this bad. We so clueless when comes to attacking. And that’s from the midfield to the front. We haven’t got players in the middle to demand the ball. 

I don’t know exactly what needs to happen. One or two I’ve come to realise, will not change anything. Fetfatzidis for all the praise I give him and Fortounis for all good things he does is not enough. Manolas and Sokratis is not enough. This whole team needs to be a team. They need to bleed for the shirt and whatever they can for the win. In the game ive seen us get the ball forward and be completely clueless in what to do with it. At least with Donis pace on the wing we have more of a chance of something good to come out of it. 

I hope in the future Donis, Vrousai and Pavlidis GSL and we can maybe see an effective and dangerous Greece attack. Fortounis is only 26 he can still contribute. Maybe Tachtsidis needs to be recalled and work with Fortounis. Have either Zeca or Siopis do all the dirty work and heavy lifting in defence. Have Fetfatzidis come in for the attack. That’s if the coach doesn’t want to start him. 

I don’t know if that will still work out but any we have do something. We need more passion and grit on this team. Where has the love for the team and country gone?

Yes good points Dean. We have a good pool of talent to draw from not on the level of France or Belgium but it's certainly better than Finland, Armenia and Hungary for example, mid tier teams that have beaten us recently. 

The guys from 2000 until 2014 did everything and left everything on the pitch. They fought way harder under Otto and Santos it wasn't flashy but they did what they had to do to get results. They didn't go on tv and bash the coach and his tactics or call ups etc. and threaten to retire from the NT. 

Van't Schip needs time to assemble his team and strategy going forward into wcup qualifying. No more changing coaches every 4-5 games we had two coaches in 15 years!! that's one of the main reasons why Greece were so successful for such a long time. 

14 hours ago, J1078 said:

Some good and interesting points

Good press conference with JVS, some key points

1. We have to have a good performance for the Greek fans
2. He was aware of the situation with the Ethniki when he came
3. MOST IMPORTANTLY MOVING FORWARD - we become a team and put the ego's aside (he refers to ego's a few times which I think is telling)
4. If you want to play for the Ethniki, that has to be your priority
5. When you're called to camp that is the only thing that matters - players with this attitude will be selected going forward
6. Clear goals for all and what coaching staff will be looking at
7. Hard work needed to get results
8. Goals & Focus when coming to play for Greece, need to put aside all other things and be professional, be proud to play for Greece (again, a very telling comment)

This is a mindset we have not seen in the Ethniki for some time and I think he has some messages to some players in what he is saying so I reckon he has seen a few things he does not like

• Like it 1

On 9/6/2019 at 7:50 AM, jason said:

I think the mistake was trying to make this team play a possession game when its not possible. Van Schip hasen't been coaching long enough to change the football culture. Also a lot of our players struggle with one touch soccer so its going to take time. I think for us we should have adopted a counter attacking style where we absorb a little pressure and quickly transition as this creates space that we just cant do with our current midfield. Sitting Tsimikas was bad choice as he can create chances on the wing. Also Koulouris had zero ball service so cant blame him...  

I would have even played Koutris opposite to Tsimikas and see if that would work as Torosides is non factor nowadays. Bottom line Greece is not a place that develops players currently so why are we surprised? 

Our players are not able to play possession football, for not at least.

Instead they have perfected the arts of back-passing, wishful long-balls and hope-for-the-best crosses in from the wings. 

• Thanks 1

If we can get off the floor, and get within 3 points of Fins by the last game then belief will be stronger and we may have an outside sniff.

While we have mathematical chance we should play as well as we can to win each match with best possible starting lineup. If Van’t schip starts experimenting too much in remaining matches indicating he is preparing for WC 2022 qualifiers, then any small hope will be gone. He can do this once mathematically there is no chance of qualifying for example we lose Liechtenstein and Finland beats Italy tomorrow.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic