Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Finland vs Greece (5 September 2019, Ratinan Stadium, Tampere)

Alphonse

Sadly the tragic last two showing of the Ethniki, against Italy and Armenia, where we suffered two defeats, means we are already in danger of missing yet another major tournament...

The embarrassing, yet deserved loss too Armenia in Athens can only be slightly removed from memory if we beat Finland away from home  which incidentally, we have never done in our history.

We played Finalnd in the League of Nations and were well and truly beaten 11 months ago 2-0 in another horror showing, then under Micheal Skibbe so lets hope for the best guys under the new coaching regime 

Team selections have yet to be announced 

Edited by Alphonse

Squad of 23 announced 

Οδυσσέας Βλαχοδήμος, Βασίλης Μπάρκας, Αλέξανδρος Πασχαλάκης, Βασίλης Τοροσίδης, Μιχάλης Μπακάκης, Κώστας Τσιμίκας, Κώστας Σταφυλίδης, Σωκράτης Παπασταθόπουλος, Δημήτρης Σιόβας, Κώστας Μανωλάς, Μανώλης Σιώπης, Ανδρέας Μπουχαλάκης, Δημήτρης Κουρμπέλης, Κάρλος Ζέκα, Ανδρέας Σάμαρης, Γιώργος Μασούρας, Δημήτρης Πέλκας, Πέτρος Μάνταλος, Μάριος Βρουσάι, Δημήτρης Κολοβός, Γιάννης Φετφατζίδης, Ευθύμης Κουλούρης, Βαγγέλης Παυλίδης.

https://www.epo.gr/News.aspx?a_id=49204&NewsType=22

• Like it 1

What was once a solid defensive team  have allowed 8 goals in our last 3 qualifier games against Bosnia, Italy and Armenia and we have become one of the easiest teams to score against. Add that in with the fact that we have NEVER won in Finland in our history and we have a coaches first game in a do or die game who in no way has enough time to implement change tells me we have a minimal chance at best to come out with 3 points in this game. Call me pessimistic all you want but the truth in the matter is this team has completely disappointed and looked like a mediocre minnow at best since our last world cup appearance  so there is no optimism on my end right now.

Finland has always been an ice hockey/javelin throwing nation, but never have they been a footballing nation. 
I really am impressed with this Finnish team. Greece will have to do what they never done before and that is to win in Finland. If Greece does win, they are back in the hunt. 

Fetfa got the call up as I anticipated. No Mitroglou and Donis. Thankfully Van't Schip didn't bring in Bakasetas. Also Torosidis is back in the fold. All in all pretty good I would have liked to see Donis called up. 

2 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

Greece will be put to the sword and their campaign officially over. 

Im sorry to be the one to say it. This team has no balls left. Nothing left to believe. 

Another tournement watching from the outside in. It's becoming the normal  

What players not selected would of rendered this team as one that has balls then? Mitro, Donis & Koutris..they haven't got game yet.

9 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

RB position is problematic.

Yep, Bakakis got raped in Turkey although it’s his first game back since surgery and Torosidis hasn’t even played this season... they are the only RB’s in the squad

Looks like we are back to old pre-Anastasiadis days. The saboteurs got their way by firing the coach and bringing back their buddy to the team. At the same time we have the hottest left back is not even being called up. The more things change the more they stay the same. Paul and company is back in charge.

2 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Looks like we are back to old pre-Anastasiadis days. The saboteurs got their way by firing the coach and bringing back their buddy to the team. At the same time we have the hottest left back is not even being called up. The more things change the more they stay the same. Paul and company is back in charge.

I dont know who your talking about but if your talking about Giannoulis then I have to disagree. Tsimikas has been playing well and Olympiakos have been playing great football and are now in the champions league. Both have a long way to go still but Tsimikas is more deserving of a call up at the moment.

9 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

You can't call up Koutris and Tsimikas ......they are both very similar in what they would bring to the team....also too many players in one position (along with Staf and Lykogiannis ....and no, you can't play one of them at RB), which is a nice luxury. Strangely Donis hasn't been playing much in the Bundsliga 2....probably looking for a move to a 1st tier team. As for RB, there are other options but none of which have made enough of a splash to get noticed I suppose. It would have been nice if Schippy had held an evaluation camp when he first got hired, calling up 30-35 players (besides the obvious call ups) and checking them out....thus creating a pool of familiar options to choose from....just an idea.

The first good sign Schip has showed is leaving our Bakasetas and putting in Fetfatzidis. Overall his call ups are good. Tsimikas got the call as he has been playing more than Koutris. In terms of talent and overall quality I think Koutris is slightly better. But the more games Tsimikas plays the better he gets. They are similar but I think Koutris is more dangerous going forward. 

In the comeback we made against Bosnia Koutris, Donis, Masouras and Kolovos made the difference with Fortounis pulling the strings. The team in general lifted and that’s what we need more of, especially right in the beginning.

1 hour ago, ausgreek said:

Wonder if Pelkas would be better with his speed than Mantalos at AM?

That’s what I was thinking. Pelkas also presses better than Mantalos. We need to take that into account aswell. That’s there best positions so I’m not too fussed who plays at CAM.

Edited by Dean97

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic