Phantis Forums

CL-QR3-L2: Ajax - PAOK (13-Aug-19, 21:30 EEST)

Blackhawk

The first two penalties were fair. The third was a joke. He also didn’t give a clear handball by Dest just outside the box in the closing minutes. 

He wouldn’t referee like this in England so I don’t know why he did this in CL. For me it’s clear that UEFA only wants the big teams to progress.

The handball no call in the last minute of the game is a clear proof that the ref was on a mission.

I want Ajax in Europa League after the group stage (Round of 16) after they get eliminated in the CL.

16 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

The third one I feel is harsh, after watching the replays I think it's given on Crespo for pulling at Hunteelar and not on Matos. Now that happens 40 times a game, most of the time it goes unwhistled. 

If it was given to Crespo why the yellow card to Matos?

Dutch children learn at school that Greek warriors were brave and heroic. Not pussies who cried and whined over a lost battle.

Today, our children's view on Greek warriors has been altered. I wish you success with your boohoo complaint at Big Daddy UEFA.

Oh, and by the way: last time I checked, the Greek people were not a 'race'. To call an innocent TV commentator's joke 'racist' is, well, not very bright.

Anyone that watched that game and didn't think the ref was completely incompetent at best and cheating at worst is either blind or trolling.

I don't think we got one 50/50 all night yet he couldn't give free kicks and the penalties quick enough to Ajax. The handball that wasn't given at the end just rubber stamped it. For years he been criticised for his performances by supporters, managers and even ex referees. It's criminal he still gets a gig.

He should not be allowed to referee at this level and in matches of this importance... it's as simple as that. I was left saying that only one team are allowed to win this game and two days later, now that i have calmed down a bit, I still feel this way. The players reaction at some of the decisions and at the end tell you everything.

Sadly, we passed up to many good chances over the two legs which didn't help but thought we got our tactics spot on and the players should be proud of their efforts. Special mention to Diego and Paschalakis... both were phenomenal throughout. Paschalakis is erratic and too eccentric sometimes but he has developed into an absolute colossus. Don't understand how he is not first choice for Greece.

Edited by DunfermlineAthleticPAOK
  • Like it 3

Hmm, is this complaint to UEFA real ?  I hope so.  Not that it'll achieve anything in this instance ... it's not about that.  It's about next time around UEFA thinking ... "oh crap, those guys *really* got upset last time so maybe we should be a bit more careful with who we appoint".  Softly softly as they say.

Overall the team can hold their head up knowing they gave it all.  That's all we ask.

And what's this about a Dutch commentator ?  Did his feelings get hurt ?  If he was American I'd say he should go see a therapist.  Maybe he can smoke some weed instead.  A more fun alternative, and cheaper too.  Or do what we do in Australia, go to the pub and drink till you're blind drunk and then get into a fight.  Then the next day but the bloke you had a fight with a drink.  That's Oz therapy for ya.

2 hours ago, DunfermlineAthleticPAOK said:

I don't think we got one 50/50 all night yet he couldn't give free kicks and the penalties quick enough to Ajax. The handball that wasn't given at the end just rubber stamped it. For years he been criticised for his performances by supporters, managers and even ex referees. It's criminal he still gets a gig.

He should not be allowed to referee at this level and in matches of this importance... it's as simple as that. I was left saying that only one team are allowed to win this game and two days later, now that i have calmed down a bit, I still feel this way. The players reaction at some of the decisions and at the end tell you everything.

That's where the problem lies.  This WASN'T a match of important to UEFA.  It was supposed to be an open and shut match.  AJAX was supposed to mop the floor with us, and be done.  They didn't really factor in the fact that we were bringing the big dick energy...and weren't going to lay down.

From what I gather, the commentator was making derogatory remarks about PAOK fans and mentioned something along the lines of 'Greek people are so poor they cant even afford clothes' in reference to us (the fans) having our tops off?

Can anyone confirm if that's correct as it was loosely translated from a dutch article yesterday while we were hungover so it might be nonsense.

The official complaint to UEFA about Craig Pawson is 100% the correct thing to do. If this was the other way round then it would be a much bigger issue.

• Like it 1

As I represent the Dutch section at Phantis I can assure you that Sierd de Vos was just making a joke. Nothing more nothing less. He is the best commentator in my opinion. Always good informed about the teams but always with a touch of humor. 

He often covers the games of Barcelona, and is a real Messi-admirer. When he made 36 goals last season in the Primera in 34 matches and 12 goals in CL he said that he is a joke of a player because he was just fifth best player according to FIFA and Modric is much much much better scoring the massive amount of 3 goals in the Liga ..... 

And he is always talking about the WAG’s of the players in the same way as he did about our kerkida. He is encouraging the viewers to look at our computers during halftime and search for (name of the lady) but that we first have to be sure that the children are in bed because she is so poor she can’t afford clothes. Of course he always says it with a big laugh.

If this kind of humor is felt as racism ........ then Greece is real poor.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Dutch Eagle, the joke was in poor taste, but not racist. Why does everything have to be politically correct? 

Also we should inform our Dutch visitor that PAOK is not a Greek team. Doesn't he know we are gypsies from Bulgaria or Turkey? I don't know which. It depends who you listen to.

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/15/2019 at 1:30 AM, hminkema said:

Dutch children learn at school that Greek warriors were brave and heroic. Not pussies who cried and whined over a lost battle.

Today, our children's view on Greek warriors has been altered. I wish you success with your boohoo complaint at Big Daddy UEFA.

Oh, and by the way: last time I checked, the Greek people were not a 'race'. To call an innocent TV commentator's joke 'racist' is, well, not very bright.

Ah3ERbH.jpg

• Like it 2

It wasn’t racist, just very poor choice of joke. Behind it is the bitterness that he works/lives in Netherlands, a place that the sun abandoned long ago while we Greeks are indeed poor but have probably the most beautiful country in the world. Just not fair that these mongrels who don’t pay their taxes have beautiful islands and great weather and tasty food eh @hminkema? Don’t worry dude, you have good things too like marijuana. Your women are quite nice too. We should know *wink wink*

On 8/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, Bajewy said:

$20 says the "new" "dutch" guy is one of our old friends...

I accept your bet.

And inform you that I am not one of your old friends.

So, you lost that $20. Shall I give you my bank account number?

On 8/17/2019 at 6:24 AM, Athens4 said:

"The Netherlands, a place that the sun abandoned long ago,  while we Greeks are indeed poor but have probably the most beautiful country in the world."

Agreed. Greece is certainly one of the most beautiful countries in the world, much more beautiful than The Netherlands. And with a tastier national kitchen, too.

But you are wrong about that sunshine. We just enjoyed a beautiful summertime here, with lots of sunshine, and days around (and above) 40 degrees.

Besides, the Dutch are the better soccer players. Sorry, you can't have them all.

Edited by hminkema

On 8/16/2019 at 5:48 PM, BostonThanatos said:

Ah3ERbH.jpg

Hi, it's me. I'm the Da Fook guy who is going to tell you that each and every penalty was fully deserved. See it for yourself:

Yes, the referee was biased, but in favor of the Greek, who played so mean and pushed so hard that they were lucky the referee let them play the full match with 11 players. Two red cards could also have been possible.

Cheers from Amsterdam, home of Ajax*)

*) Ajax was a famed Greek warrior, very strong and brave, who fought Hektor in a duel. Both men were very strong and fought until sundawn. Then they paid respect to each other and exchanged presents.

BTW PAOK players did not even care to shake hands with Ajax players after the match.

Edited by hminkema

Dutch boy, you indeed have had some amazing players in the history of football. Don't embarrass them with your comments. One team was playing football and able to create clear cut chances and the other scored from own goals and penalty kicks. We missed our chances and you advanced. End of story.

If something, you should just pay respect to Diego Biseswar for smashing your team. I'm sure as a Dutch you appreciated his artistic performances. And I am sure you enjoyed your goalkeeper desperately trying to kill time by holding on the ball after the 3-2. As for the ref, he proved himself on the handball at the end. I'm sure you were relieved big time with his last whistle.

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, Yiankos said:

Dutch boy, you indeed have had some amazing players in the history of football. Don't embarrass them with your comments. One team was playing football and able to create clear cut chances and the other scored from own goals and penalty kicks. We missed our chances and you advanced. End of story.

If something, you should just pay respect to Diego Biseswar for smashing your team. I'm sure as a Dutch you appreciated his artistic performances. And I am sure you enjoyed your goalkeeper desperately trying to kill time by holding on the ball after the 3-2. As for the ref, he proved himself on the handball at the end. I'm sure you were relieved big time with his last whistle.

Hello Greek boy, so kind of you to answer.

Have you read the comments about this match in other countries than your & mine? In Britain, France, Germany, Italy? There's none of the whining that the Greek media, Greek fans, and Greek players do. Nothing like the accusatory tone against the arbiter. So the whining and the sourness were typically Greek responses, in this case. Congratulations on being original!

It wasn't a nice game. I thought the Greek played rather rough. Sure, they created chances, but that was their job, wasn't it? Have you seen the summary of the match to which I linked? Count the number of times a Greek player holds a Dutch shirt, jumps on a Dutch player, or even pushes a Dutch player to the ground. That is what I mean when I call it 'not a nice game' and 'deserved penalties'. And after the Greek scored 1-0, they already started to kill the time as a first.

Yes, I loved the goals made by Bisewar. We Dutch are still proud of him. We like sports more than nationalism, so we have no problem appreciating his goals, even if they count against our team.

The behavior of the Greek at the end was downright shameful. I can understand emotions, and disappointment. I cannot understand childish behavior.

Edited by hminkema

hminkema, we are not whining about the Ajax players, we whine about the referee's decisions.

Why are you in here defending against the ref? Your team won the match. I think it was a nice game. I didn't see anything overtly "rough" definitely nothing that would warrant 2 red cards, you're cooked mate.

Stop complaining about strong, clean challenges in a match of football, they are footballers not fairies. You coming in here complaining about our keeper making a strong but clean challenge to clear a ball or whatever it is you say is just silly. Stop it.

Congrats on the win.

Frankly Ajax players didn't deserve to have their hands shaken. They clearly noticed the ref bias and decided to abuse it. You can't blame the Greek players for jumping on the referee either he deserved it.

I don't expect Ajax to go far at all this year the way they are playing.